So, if we can't chew gum...

Brandy K.
on 5/20/10 11:43 pm - Garland, TX

If we can't chew gum, what do you do to take care of the rank protein breath?  I'm all OCD about smelling good, both body and breath and I used to chew sugarless gum all day long.  I never worried about my breath and my teeth stayed super white.

Now, I can't chew gum and I've noticed that I have that funky protein breath thing going on sometimes.  My teeth aren't as white either.

So, what do you do to keep all that under control if you can't chew gum?!

Eme 2009
on 5/21/10 2:16 am, edited 5/21/10 2:16 am - FL
I like the mini sugar-free Altoids.� I've only found them at Target in the check-out aisle.� They come in a small tin and are much smaller than the normal sized Altoids so they aren't so powerful but they are great....especially when I've got that rank post-shake nastiness going on :)

and of course, they are sugar-free unlike the originals

Edited to add: they are called "Altoid Smalls"

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/10 2:23 am - AZ

You are free to chew gum as long as you do not swallow it, that is the concern.

Monkey breath... whole different story. ;o)

wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/03/getting-real-gross-stuff-that-happens.html

Brandy K.
on 5/21/10 4:20 am - Garland, TX
My surgeon said no gum.  He said something about it causing pouch distention.  Not the swallowing, just the chewing.  Maybe it's the extra saliva and swallowing and the air that comes with swallowing?

Ashlie
on 5/21/10 2:46 am - Big Lake, MN
I have been chewing gum since surgery. I don't see what the problem is if you don't swallow it by accident of course. I say go for it but thats just my opinion!
Lilypie - (bzQG)

Highest / DOS / Current / Goal / I've lost / Height / Size B4 wls / After wls

435      405      213      184       222        6ft          30/32         14/16

Emily F.
on 5/21/10 6:55 am
I find I get gas/bloating from chewing my chewables really smacking (you know what I mean?). So I would think chomping on some gum would give you gas too. Just a thought.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
_Suzy_
on 6/7/10 5:19 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I chew some from time to time and it hasn't bothered me, just to get rid of "monkey breath"  LOL.
Suzy

Start Weight     309    
Surgery              301
Current               206

O M G - I am down over 100#.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics