GreenBayGirl's Report - 3rd Time NOT a charm.....(long)

greenbaygirl
on 5/19/10 8:31 am - Hobart, WI
I agree with you eastcoastgal, but people still have to decide for themselves, I can only post my experience.

greenbaygirl
on 5/19/10 7:32 am - Hobart, WI

Added a little something to my post, as I just remembered it....to be fair.

Brandy K.
on 5/19/10 7:41 am - Garland, TX
Wow.  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  How frightening!  I'm glad things seem to be okay now.

This is why I'm glad I had my surgeon's personal cell phone number.  I've had it since before the surgery.  Even though I was in an actual hospital with lots of nurses and doctors on duty, I could have called Dr. Guajardo from my hospital room.

When I left the hospital and went back to my hotel, he reminded me that I could call him at any time.  He even said, "I will leave the operating room to take your call."  He answered every single time I called him.  It was very comforting.

It would be great if patients of Dr. Almanza could at least have Mr. Betencourt's phone number so they could get ahold of him at any time.  Then he could turn around and get ahold of Dr. Almanza since Dr. Almanza doesn't speak much English.

There really MUST be some something put in place so that patients can get in touch with someone qualified to handle an emergency.  What good is a crash cart if no one in the building at night knows how to use it and you can't immediately get in touch with someone who does?

I do hope changes will be made.  I don't see the flow of patients to this clinic slowing down any time soon.  It's just too fiscally attractive.  We've heard a few bad stories.  I don't want to read even ONE story that ends in the ultimate negative experience for someone's loved one.

ishary
on 5/19/10 8:54 am - Whittier, CA
On May 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Pacific Time, Osage18 wrote:
Wow.  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  How frightening!  I'm glad things seem to be okay now.

This is why I'm glad I had my surgeon's personal cell phone number.  I've had it since before the surgery.  Even though I was in an actual hospital with lots of nurses and doctors on duty, I could have called Dr. Guajardo from my hospital room.

When I left the hospital and went back to my hotel, he reminded me that I could call him at any time.  He even said, "I will leave the operating room to take your call."  He answered every single time I called him.  It was very comforting.

It would be great if patients of Dr. Almanza could at least have Mr. Betencourt's phone number so they could get ahold of him at any time.  Then he could turn around and get ahold of Dr. Almanza since Dr. Almanza doesn't speak much English.

There really MUST be some something put in place so that patients can get in touch with someone qualified to handle an emergency.  What good is a crash cart if no one in the building at night knows how to use it and you can't immediately get in touch with someone who does?

I do hope changes will be made.  I don't see the flow of patients to this clinic slowing down any time soon.  It's just too fiscally attractive.  We've heard a few bad stories.  I don't want to read even ONE story that ends in the ultimate negative experience for someone's loved one.

Amen Sister!!

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

FWLizzie
on 5/19/10 8:30 am - Fort Worth, TX
I'm sorry to hear about your experience this time. I'm glad you were there to advocate for your husband. Wish him a speedy recovery and I'm glad that the leak was caught in time.

Thank you for your post and specially for doing it in such an educated manner.

Liz
hollykim
on 5/19/10 10:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Jean,
So sorry you both had such a frightening time. i am so glad everything is coming out ok.

You are absolutely right; robert and you should not have been left without enough care.
One thing,I would correct; Dr. almanza is under contract to Bettancourt for his surgical services. it is not his clinic and he  shouldn't be held responsible for the staffing situation.

he should,however,be held accountable for his OWN actions as attending surgeon. He should have come to check on you and Robert knowing what had gone before.

I am disappointed in his actions.
I am glad your sister had no complications and is doing well.
Prayers going out for a healthy recovery for all.
Blessings,
Holly

ishary
on 5/19/10 11:26 am - Whittier, CA
On May 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
Jean,
So sorry you both had such a frightening time. i am so glad everything is coming out ok.

You are absolutely right; robert and you should not have been left without enough care.
One thing,I would correct; Dr. almanza is under contract to Bettancourt for his surgical services. it is not his clinic and he  shouldn't be held responsible for the staffing situation.

he should,however,be held accountable for his OWN actions as attending surgeon. He should have come to check on you and Robert knowing what had gone before.

Blessings,
Holly
Hi Holly, not trying to start trouble here and I am not saying this with an attitude so please dont read it that way. I just was wondering why is it that you feel that its not Almanzas clinic and that he is under contract to Betancourt?
When I paid I had to have the cashiers check made out to Dr. Almanza.

Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/10 4:01 pm - AZ
On May 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM Pacific Time, ishary wrote:
On May 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
Jean,

Blessings,
Holly
Hi Holly, not trying to start trouble here and I am not saying this with an attitude so please dont read it that way. I just was wondering why is it that you feel that its not Almanzas clinic and that he is under contract to Betancourt?
When I paid I had to have the cashiers check made out to Dr. Almanza.

It doesn't matter, the surgeon is ultimately responsible for the patients TOTAL care, from the time they enter the clini****il they are discharged.

Brandy K.
on 5/19/10 10:37 pm - Garland, TX
I would also add that the patient is ultimately under the care of the surgeon.  If something had gone wrong with my surgery, I wouldn't go pin the responsibility on the CEO of the hospital where I had the surgery done.  It was my surgeon who made sure that my surgery and my aftercare were top notch.

If my surgeon ever came to believe that his patients weren't being given the care they need in any of the hospitals he's associated with, it would be his choice to either continue practicing there or not.  Dr. Almanza has that same option.  All doctors do.

ishary
on 5/19/10 10:55 pm - Whittier, CA
Yep Yep!!

Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views