DR. ALMANZA HELP PLEASE!!!

sam30204
on 5/16/10 1:17 pm
On May 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM Pacific Time, TheDoubleFlame wrote:
Hi Curious, I hope you're doing well.

I have no idea how Dr Almanza is with RNY surgery. But, if you like, you can read about my VSG experience on my blog.

To find out more about Dr Almanza and RNY, just type in "Almanza" and or "Almanza and RNY" in the OH search engine. This is what I did to get you usernames of 4 people who would know much more about it than me. They are FightingFat, oregondiver, AnnieInTheSky and Tonya4191.

In my opinion, RNY is a much more serious surgery than VSG. So and again, in my opinion, if it was me, I would have a primary care doc and a nutritionist ready to help when I returned home. If I had serious co-morbidities and or if my BMI was very high, I would make sure my recovery time was well-suited to the surgery.

Okey dokey.....If you have any other questions about my experience or about any of the research process, just let me know :)

I wish you the very best!
Cheryl

Oh I pray I have lost as much as you in the same time frame!! Congrats!!!!

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

ishary
on 5/16/10 9:20 am - Whittier, CA
On May 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM Pacific Time, Curious1989 wrote:
Im a 21yr  college student looking to have surgery in mexico. Im interested in having surgery with Dr. Almanza i have read alot on him and he seems real good and the price isn't so out of my reach. If any of you can please share your stories with him or have any info please leave a note,it would be extremly helpful thank you all.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/stoongal/

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

NursieGirl
on 5/16/10 1:43 pm
Everybody calm down before we get another of these ridiculous boards going. 

I think Cheryl makes an excellent point.  Most of the Almanza patients had sleeves done, so I think she should talk to people who have had the surgery she is planning. 

Also, I think it's wise to take what EVERYONE says with a grain of salt.  Curious, you're asking for feedback, and here it is.  You will hear positive and negative things about this surgeon, and should not discount either side.  People who have had treatment there are the best resource, especially people like my friend funnurse, who JUST had her surgery, and so was at the same facility as you will be with all of the same amenities, and problems, if any.  She sent me a great private message about her experience with emphasis on the medical facilities, and I'm sure would be more than happy to share it with you also.

In the end, you have to make your own decision, and while cost is a factor, it should not be the number one way that you make your decision.  If you feel uncomfortable about this or any other doctor, you should wait to have your surgery.  Waiting to save a little more money or get finances in order is better than being without your peace of mind.

You need to feel confident to have a successful surgery.  Also, it may help you to talk to your primary care doctor, friends, family, or anyone else whose opinion you trust to help you in this important decision.

sam30204
on 5/16/10 1:54 pm
On May 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM Pacific Time, NursieGirl wrote:
Everybody calm down before we get another of these ridiculous boards going. 

I think Cheryl makes an excellent point.  Most of the Almanza patients had sleeves done, so I think she should talk to people who have had the surgery she is planning. 

Also, I think it's wise to take what EVERYONE says with a grain of salt.  Curious, you're asking for feedback, and here it is.  You will hear positive and negative things about this surgeon, and should not discount either side.  People who have had treatment there are the best resource, especially people like my friend funnurse, who JUST had her surgery, and so was at the same facility as you will be with all of the same amenities, and problems, if any.  She sent me a great private message about her experience with emphasis on the medical facilities, and I'm sure would be more than happy to share it with you also.

In the end, you have to make your own decision, and while cost is a factor, it should not be the number one way that you make your decision.  If you feel uncomfortable about this or any other doctor, you should wait to have your surgery.  Waiting to save a little more money or get finances in order is better than being without your peace of mind.

You need to feel confident to have a successful surgery.  Also, it may help you to talk to your primary care doctor, friends, family, or anyone else whose opinion you trust to help you in this important decision.
I also recieved a detailed report from fun nurse and it was very informative. you should talk to her.

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

Boscogirl
on 5/17/10 12:18 am - TX
I had a great experience with Dr. A for my VSG.  I had absolutely no complications, have lost 41 (ticker won't update for some reason...uuuggghhh) pounds effortlessly in 9 weeks and am basically "over the moon"!  Under my name, click latest posts and you can find many of my thoughts about him, the facility, and the care etc.  Wishing you all the best!!
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Curious1989
on 5/17/10 1:34 am - Garden City, NY
Everyone thank you for the advice i have been able to read more about Almanza in pat help to this post and though i have had great things said about him, i read some extremly horrible cases. I've reconsidered going to mexico and in part its because of the things ive read. its true gastric bypass is a bit more complex than vsg, and most of the good responses ive gotten are of patients that have had vsg. But from what ive read and the horrible things that have happened to other people i don't think i could go through with it. Even if its more expensive and I'll probably take a good while to pay I think im just going to try to get surgery here in the us and keep it on safe side. As someone posted earlier my safty is more important than saving a few thousand dollars. but thank you all for the advice and for all the help.
Emily F.
on 5/17/10 4:19 am
Don't blame a whole country for one doctor that's gotten bad reviews! There are bad docs in the states too, don't forget that!! Just because they are in America doesn't mean they are automatically good and being in Mexico doesn't mean they are automatically bad.

Research ALL the surgeries, pick your surgery, THEN pick your doctor.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
ishary
on 5/17/10 8:25 am - Whittier, CA

Maybe just take some time to absorb all that you have just discovered.
There are many wonderful hospitals and surgeons in Mexico.
I have had 3 procedures done in Mexico. The first 2 were in a beautiful hospital and I have no problem referring the surgeon or facility. I only have issues with my last experience.
I cant say that my surgery itself was bad, just that I did not feel like I was in the best place or most capable hands should something have gone wrong.
That is why I wont take my daughter back there. I will take her to Mexico though and if you would like to talk about where I would take her you can pm me and we can talk.
Dont shut the door for WLS completley. Just maybe take some time and think about things a bit more.

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

Brandy K.
on 5/17/10 2:25 am - Garland, TX
My only advice is that you should not shop on price alone. Look into all of the surgeons as though you had all the money in the world. If you'd still choose your surgeon, then great. If you wouldn't, be patient and save up.

Shazmira
on 5/17/10 3:13 am
If you can afford to have your surgery done in the US and are more comfortable with tht choice then go with it.  However, there are surgeon choices in MX other than Dr. Almanza.  Do not let money bve your only deciding factor in your decision but there is no need to just give up on having the surgery done now either. Research the other MX doctors as well and look at the feedback from thier patients. The OH board has a list of surgeons nyou can check out.  I myself am going to Dr. Jose Rodriguez, he was a little more expensive than Dr. Almanza but all the reports I got back from his patients were veery favorable.  You said you are looking into an RNY...is this because it is the option to you?  Have you considered a sleeve?  Check out the different forums here and see if youu can make an informed choice.  Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Robbyn Allen

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views