DR. ALMANZA HELP PLEASE!!!

Curious1989
on 5/15/10 3:59 pm - Garden City, NY
Im a 21yr  college student looking to have surgery in mexico. Im interested in having surgery with Dr. Almanza i have read alot on him and he seems real good and the price isn't so out of my reach. If any of you can please share your stories with him or have any info please leave a note,it would be extremly helpful thank you all.
NursieGirl
on 5/15/10 4:17 pm
Hi there.  You're in a situation a lot like mine, so I totally understand.  I did a lot of research and decided to go with Almanza.  I have talked to a lot of people who have also, and will hopefully respond here and private message you some information about their experiences.  Feel free to friend me if you want to talk about it!

Curious1989
on 5/15/10 4:25 pm - Garden City, NY
Thank you so much for responding Im worried and im hoping i make the right choice this is stressing me out so much i can't sleep. All i have read about him is good so far but you know, I wanted to come here and ask because i know all of you would understand and i could get a better insight here than on his website. I have a good feeling about him and i know this will be worth it at the end.
hollykim
on 5/15/10 11:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Check out my detailed experience on my blog with pics! I had a great experience with Dr. almanza and staff and love my sleeve
Good luck,
Holly

N H.
on 5/15/10 10:09 pm - FL
Good Morning,

Dr. Almanza did my VSG 11 months ago today and I wish I had gone to him years ago for the surgery.  I have had ZERO problems.

My highest weight was 232, surgery weight 213 and in February I had dropped a total of 82 pounds to 150 where I am today.  I feel great-both physically and emotionally.  I wear a size 6-8 pants, s-m shirt.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to graze and sometimes I do.  This surgery is not a cure-all, you have to work to lose the weight and do some mental work to break old habits for a healthier lifestyle...I am still working on the habit breaking!

When I went last June the surgery was at the old clinic Emmanuel Medical Center and my group was the first to stay at the new recovery house they use today.  I have not been to the newer clinic, Jerusalem, but understand it is very clean and comparable to the other.

The chaperones picked me up in San Diego and took me to TJ where I had labs and an EKG done.  I had missed my plane the day before so the entire schedule was pushed back a bit.  After the cardiologist reviewed my EKG I went straight to surgery. 

My nursing care was great- a little issue with the language barrier but nothing that wasn't overcome.  Two nights at the clinic and then they loaded me up for anther leak test (3 total), a little shopping, and off to the recovery house.  Then after a couple of nights, the chaperones picked me up and back to San Diego for the worst part of the entire event-the nine hour flight home.  I did not take anything for pain after leaving the clinic.

The day after I came home, I had already scheduled a follow up with my primary care doc.  She was very pleased with everything and has followed me throughout the last 11 months with checkups and labs.  EVERYTHING is better.  My cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure are all good.  When I had the last lab drawn my iron was normal but on the low side-but also it was my TOM.  The only thing she said was to start making my multi vitamin an iron supplemented one.

I am contemplating going back to this group for plastics in the fall, that is how much confidence I have in them.

GreenBayGirl is there for the third time right now.  She went last year for her VSG, went in January where Dr. A did a VSG on her sister and is there now with her hubby and another friend having a VSG.  So she can give you a very good review when she gets back next week.

I had looked at Dr.s Alvarez and Aceves also, but after PMing others who had surgery by each of the three I had narrowed my list down to, price really did come into play (won't even try to deny it!).  After I found the playing field looked even between the three, I made my decision based on $.  For me, Dr. Almanza was the right decision.

I think there are many competent WLS in Mexico, frankly, they may have more experience than most American WLS due to the self-pay/insurance situation.  I know in my town the VSG has only been offered since March!

Good luck with your search and wading through the BS that some are sure to throw at you.

As far as advice:
-don't overpack
-wear something comfortable for the flight home
-take a pain pill if you have a long flight

If you have any questions don't hesitate to re-post or PM me.

Nancy
                                          Pre Op-Surgery-Current-Goal
                                            232  -    213   -  153 - 150

5'4" tall
Stage 1 Plastics 10/20/10 with Dr. Adrian Menjarrez-Mexicali
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck    
Emily F.
on 5/16/10 3:26 am
Make sure you do your research, because there are people who are not happy with their experiences with him.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
Curious1989
on 5/16/10 3:55 am - Garden City, NY
thank you all for the help. I have read into him and so far i haven't read anything bad of him on the contrary all i have read are praises. I want to have rny gastric bypass, im almost ready to make my choice and call and find out pricing and how the process works. Im extremly nervous but at the same time happy. Feel free to add anything else and again thank you.
sam30204
on 5/16/10 6:26 am
Im scheduled June15 with him. You will hear alot of opinions on here about him so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

ishary
on 5/16/10 10:26 am - Whittier, CA
On May 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM Pacific Time, sam30204 wrote:
Im scheduled June15 with him. You will hear alot of opinions on here about him so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck
Please do not take anything that you read ,"with a grain of salt" as suggested by the above posting.
Please do yourself a favor and research with an open mind taking into consideration all that youve read. Allow yourself some time to really think things over, discuss things with your family and friends. Get an objective opinion from someone that you trust. Pray about it and the answer will come.
Look at all options available to you.Take your time the surgery and all the surgeons will still be there when you finally make your decision.
If you want to talk more send me a message.

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

sam30204
on 5/16/10 1:05 pm
On May 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM Pacific Time, ishary wrote:
On May 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM Pacific Time, sam30204 wrote:
Please do not take anything that you read ,"with a grain of salt" as suggested by the above posting.
Please do yourself a favor and research with an open mind taking into consideration all that youve read. Allow yourself some time to really think things over, discuss things with your family and friends. Get an objective opinion from someone that you trust. Pray about it and the answer will come.
Look at all options available to you.Take your time the surgery and all the surgeons will still be there when you finally make your decision.
If you want to talk more send me a message.

I have been nice but this backhanded comment is uncalled for.
You used this doctor and if I understood your posts to me a few days ago stated you had NO complications and you were losing weight.  You are entitled to your opinions but you have no right to offer comments on my opinions. Why cant you interject your experinces and opinions without having to degrade someone else's thoughts?
This girl is asking for thoughts from everyone. I meant "grain of salt" because some people on here posts opinions (strong ones) about him that have never even been to him. They are basing it on the "my friends sisters aunt's mom said" and I am telling her to take SOME peoples comments with a grain of salt.

I understand you had complaints about your mom not having a place to stay with you, that is a problem witht the coordinator and has nothing to do witht he surgeon or facility.
The standards in Mexico are not the same as the US. You stated you never heard any complaints about him before your surgery but did you think he was cheaper out of niceness? You made the choice to  tkae the cheaper MD and you are losing weight, and no leaks or infections. I dont see why you feel like you were lucky to be alive.

Why cant you just state your own personal experinces and not comment on someone else's comments unless they are directly speaking of you? I see you do this a lot.

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views