Dr Jose Rodriguez Experience

kelly B.
on 5/11/10 3:36 am - NC
I have had a few pms asking for details concerning my recent VSG with Dr Jose Rodriguez, and thought there may be someone else out there that wanted to hear. Sorry this is long, but I hope it helps someone.

So... I will say that I had a great experience with Dr Rod and staff, and would go back again without hesitation. Since I am on the east coast, I chose the Juarez location. I thought the shorter travel time would be better after surgery, and the extra hour of flight to California was just not needed. Plus, the Tijuana location is new for them. I am sure they have everything running smoothly, but I was nervous enough as it was.

Anyway... one of my best friends and I flew into El Paso, Texas where the driver met us and took us directly to Star Medica Hospital. It couldnt have been more than a 20 minute drive. My friend was a bit unnerved by the Policia Federales because they sport large guns and drive in pickups. They do look really intimidating. She thought it was because we were in a rough area or it being a border town, but I have traveled to Mexico several times and every location is the same. Dont be scared of that.

The hospital is clearly in a nice part of town, with the US Consulate and large shopping mall steps from the front door. As soon as I arrived, they were ready for me. They put my bracelet on, reviewed my chart, and told my friend what to expect before they whisked me away for x-rays. After the x-rays I was able to go to my room to meet my friend and wait for the internal medicine eval and prep for surgery. During the wait, every Dr on the team came in to introduce him/herself. I was very nervous as this was my first surgery (the idea of anesthesia really freaked me out), and I just wanted to get back home to my child healthfully.  All the doctors were so nice. My bf almost fell out when the anesthesiologist kissed me on the forehead to calm me down... lmao.

I arrived at the hospital around 12:30pm and was in surgery by 3pm. All I remember is the nurse saying, This medicine will make you relax. She put it in my IV, and the next thing you know I was in recovery. I remember opening my eyes and thinking... "I am alive".... melodramatic much?.... I know. I was in a bit of pain, and asked for pain meds which I got immediately. The pain was not an issue anymore after that initial bout, but I remained nauseous for about the next 12 hours. They gave me meds through IV, but I really didnt feel any better until my stomach was empty.

They had me up and walking, remained in the compression hose, gave me meds/IV, administered anticoagulants, and were just generally helpful and friendly the remainder of the stay. By the end of the 2nd day I was ready to go home, but the adjustable hospital bed, over-sized shower, and help from the nurses I think really made a huge impact on my recovery.

Other things I can think to say are: the hospital is immaculately clean. They clean the room twice per day and have you sign off when complete. There are restaurants and such in the area, but my companion felt eating in the hospital was easy and the food very reasonable. There is a futon/couch/bed for your companion in the room. My friend said it was comfortable. I dont think I am describing it well, but it wasnt like one of those pullout couches with the bar that gets you mid back. Make sure to bring a robe and/or pjs you are comfortable being seen in. You have to do a lot of walking, and while the halls are not crowded I just felt better not being exposed. The nurses will allow you to shower and get dressed the following day from surgery. I took the gas-x strips that everyone on OH suggests, and didnt have much trouble with gas. I dont know if that was the gas-x working, but I would take it again just in case. Dont forget your chapstick! There is one movie channel on TV that is English speaking all the time, but I was glad to have my laptop with me as well. There is wireless access in the courtyard of the hospital and your room. The surgical staff will visit you everyday. EVERYONE. That is really reassuring. The only thing I was surprised about was I woke up with  a drain which I wasnt expecting. It really was inconsequential and was removed by Dr Elmo (Surgical Assist) before leaving... it didnt hurt.

The driver picked us up from the hospital at 8:30am the day of discharge. It took maybe 1.5 hours to get through the border and back to the airport. It was nothing traumatic as we just sat in the car, but it wasnt quick at all.

I will probably try to find a plastic surgeon when the time comes that is affiliated with the same practice. I am almost 2 weeks post-op and feel great. Definitely back to normal, and noticed this morning that I am back to sleeping on my stomach. My PCP said my incisions look impeccable, and was glad to have my surgical report for my file. Oh! You will leave the hospital with a surgical report, x-rays, instructions, and three prescriptions. I definitely felt taken care of and safe.
Starting Weight 340. I am 5'7"
Goal 1: VSG by April 2010 -
(scheduled for April 28 2010)
Goal 2: Lose 10% of Total Body Weight -
(May 17, 2010)
Goal 3: Lose 50 pounds-
(June 10, 2010)
Goal 4: Lose 50% of Excess Weight (Aug 10, 2010)
Goal 5: Lose 100 pounds (Oct 7, 2010)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goal 6: BMI of 29
jenni80
on 5/12/10 10:33 am
Glad your experience went so good!  I hope i can sleep on my stomach two weeks after.  i have always been a stomach sleeper.

Jeanette  

emeraldskye
on 5/12/10 1:02 pm - Vancouver, Canada
I really appreciated you taking the time to relay your experience.  It has really helped me and I'm sure it will help numerous others.  I am also very glad that it went well for you.

Congrats on being sleeved!
vinnymac
on 5/22/10 3:39 pm - Mobile, AL
Yes you are right Dr.Rod and his staff are freaking great I would trust them to work on my family or myself at anytime.The only problem I had was when we get to the boarder its was a 3 hour wait so me and a lady that had just had a lap band ended up walking across the bridge and getting a ride on the other side from another driver from the some company so we could make our plane on time .But other then that everything was great.Dr Elmo help me more then anyone he is so cool when I left he gave me his email so I could write if I had anything to ask him.

P.S If you are flying down there try not to go Thur Houston the gates are so far apart and you will never get anyone to help you there flying after surgery isn't the easiest thing in the world I had to stop about 2 time to rest so pack as lite as you can only bring what you need it will help you in the long run you won't fill like carry a heavy bag around I promise.

Vinny Mac

Vinny Mac

goal160
on 6/24/10 10:59 am
Wow this is very thorough and helped me ALOT. I havent found anything negative on this Doc,and your post helped make my final decision. Thanks so much!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views