Staple Question

zsflower
on 5/15/10 6:15 pm, edited 5/15/10 6:26 pm - Elk Grove, CA

Let's put this staple issue to rest.  The statements about staples not made of titanium or purchased in China or whatever else the latest gossip, is ridiculous.  The stapler used in bariatric surgery is called a 6 row Linear Stapler.  It is made by Ethicon.  You MUST use the cartridges that are made for this stapler.  You cannot put just any staples you want in there.  It's not like a desk stapler.  The cartridge needs to be purchased from Ethicon especially for the stapler.  One couldn't use different staples even if they wanted to!  This is nothing but more propaganda invented by you know who!  Come on people!  Use your common sense! If you don’t trust the answers given you by your coordinator, then just ask any bariatric surgeon.

Here is a link showing the type of stapler used. The only way this stapler will work is to load it with the cartridge of TITANIUM STAPLES MADE FOR THIS STAPLER.  Ethicon Linear Stapler 

Sandy Johnston
Patient Care Coordinator
aLighterMe.com

ishary
on 5/16/10 9:01 am - Whittier, CA
On May 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Pacific Time, zsflower wrote:

Let's put this staple issue to rest.  The statements about staples not made of titanium or purchased in China or whatever else the latest gossip, is ridiculous.  The stapler used in bariatric surgery is called a 6 row Linear Stapler.  It is made by Ethicon.  You MUST use the cartridges that are made for this stapler.  You cannot put just any staples you want in there.  It's not like a desk stapler.  The cartridge needs to be purchased from Ethicon especially for the stapler.  One couldn't use different staples even if they wanted to!  This is nothing but more propaganda invented by you know who!  Come on people!  Use your common sense! If you don’t trust the answers given you by your coordinator, then just ask any bariatric surgeon.

Here is a link showing the type of stapler used. The only way this stapler will work is to load it with the cartridge of TITANIUM STAPLES MADE FOR THIS STAPLER.  Ethicon Linear Stapler 

This is not putting the staple issue to rest for me Sandy.
This is just one more variation of the type of staples used that I have been told now.
I received an email from my coordinator that stated she was told the staples used in my surgery were Johnson and Johnson Autosure. So which is it?
I need and am patiently waiting for a copy of my medical records and operating report as well as a letter on J/E letterhead attesting to the authenticity and integrity of the staples used in my surgery. Is that so unreasonable?
Please dont read this posting to be nasty/hostile as that is not my tone/intent.
I am merely just stating facts as they have been presented to me.
Also...
There is a gentleman Garout I believe?? Anyway.... he posted saying he was in negotiations off shore on behalf of Betancourt for staples.
This may not be alarming to you but to me....
I find it beyond alarming that I cannot receive a copy of the above mentioned paperwork.

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

zsflower
on 5/16/10 9:16 pm - Elk Grove, CA

I'm sorry ishary, I should have clarified.  Ethicon is the Bariatric division of Johnson & Johnson.  They manufacture the Realize band and many others of their bariatric supplies including the stapler and staples.  If you go to the Johnson & Johnson website, you can follow links to Ethicon.  The staples are purchased by cartridge.  Their are 3 sizes of staple cartridges.  All are titanium and they must be the cartridges that fit the 6 row stapler or that stapler cannot be used.  It's possible that you spoke to a supplier that Dr. Betancourt has bought from. 

Ethicon sells all over the world, not just the US.  In fact suppliers exist in almost every country.  Don't forget, that's one of the reasons that prices are lower.  The doctors purchase in large quantities from suppliers which gives them negotiation power.  They will usually purchase hundreds of thousands of dollars of staples at one time.     No doctor in Mexico purchases any staples from the U.S distributor.  They MUST go through the Mexican distributor or another country’s distributor in which Mexico allows them to purchase from.  This is also true with the Allergan Lap Band.  If a Mexican doctor tells you they are purchasing the Allergen Lap Band from the U.S., they are not telling the truth!

Please make sure you get after your coordinator to get you your surgical report showing your staples.  They can and should supply that to you.

Sandy Johnston
Patient Care Coordinator
aLighterMe.com

ishary
on 5/17/10 8:02 am - Whittier, CA
Thank you Sandy.
It is so very frustrating to say the least.
I appreciate your posting.
I am patiently awaiting the response to the request I submitted last week for copies of my medical records.
I will feel much better when they arrive.
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

Eme 2009
on 5/20/10 8:21 am - FL
Ishary,
  How did the MRI go?  Did you get your surgical report?...I am waiting for mine, too.

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

ishary
on 5/20/10 9:02 am - Whittier, CA
I have not had another MRI. I was scheduled for spinal fusion yesterday but I am going to see another surgeon on 5-26.
I am waiting for reports via US mail now.
I did receive an email but I am not satisfied with that and I was promised by Louise that I would be receiving copies of al my records in the mail.
so.....
lets see.
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

Eme 2009
on 5/20/10 12:59 pm - FL
Thanks for letting me know. I guess I read it wrong and thought you had one scheduled earlier this week.  I hope everything works out for you.

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

ishary
on 5/21/10 7:32 am - Whittier, CA
Thank you Em!
I really appreciate that.
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/10 11:34 pm - AZ
For anyone waiting on an OR report it doesn't work that way with this clinic. They have one OR report and they just date it and put your name on it. It is not patient specific. I've seen OR reports where someone had their gallbladder removed and it is not noted in the OR report because they don't do individual OR reports, it's a copy paste job. Everyone gets the same form.

If you are wanting a unique OR report you won't get it out of this facility. Everyone has the same OR report regardless of issues such as complications, leaks, infections, blood loss, etc.

ishary
on 5/21/10 11:45 pm - Whittier, CA
On May 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
For anyone waiting on an OR report it doesn't work that way with this clinic. They have one OR report and they just date it and put your name on it. It is not patient specific. I've seen OR reports where someone had their gallbladder removed and it is not noted in the OR report because they don't do individual OR reports, it's a copy paste job. Everyone gets the same form.

If you are wanting a unique OR report you won't get it out of this facility. Everyone has the same OR report regardless of issues such as complications, leaks, infections, blood loss, etc.

Yep Yep!!!
It reads like a copy paste form letter too.

Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics