Staple Question

ishary
on 5/10/10 5:01 am - Whittier, CA

Hello Everbody!
Some of you know this but most of you probably do not.
I am going in for spinal fusion on May 18th. I had my "latest and greatest" MRI on towards the end of December last maybe the beginning of January.
I was sleeved by Almanza on Jan 28th.
One of the things being said about Betancourt and the Jerrusalem clinic is that there are substandard staples used (not titanium) and that if an MRI were performed the staples would pull loose. - There was also a gentleman that posted he was in the process of working with Betancourt to import staples at a greater savings for the clinic. I believe he was Canadian and that his surgery was in February though I could be wrong on that date.
(I have since tried to find the thread and I am not having any luck)
Anyway............
I became very interested in the integrity of the staples used as I am pretty positive I will be needing another MRI in the not to distant future.
I sent an email to my medical coordinator asking for verification and serial numbers. I received a response from her (that she received from the clinic )stating that the staples used were in fact titanium mfg by Johnson and Johnson but that there was no serial number.

Does this sound right?
I know that there are a lot of nurses on this board please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this?
I just dont think this sounds right.
Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

ishary
on 5/10/10 5:03 am - Whittier, CA
And..........
Please do not get the debate going again of good doc bad doc.
I really just want opinions as to if the staples should come with a serial # or not?
Thanks!
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

greenbaygirl
on 5/10/10 7:34 am - Hobart, WI
Hey Irene,

I know nothing about serial numbers, etc. but I can tell you that I had my gall bladder out in March and my surgeon did verify titanium staples.  My hubby going this week also needs MRI's since he had cancer in 2006, so I also asked again about this issue, but will try to verify again this week.
Hope you get the answer you need.
Jean

sam30204
on 5/10/10 8:04 am, edited 5/10/10 8:04 am
Sorry to hear about your upcoming procedure.
To try and answer your question, if you have went through any metal detectors fine than i would feel fine about your staples. I am no expert but I believe I read on another sleeve place that if they were not titanium they would set off the alarms. Good luck to you

Also I cant speak for protocols everyhwere but here Dothan, AL in our OR we didnt record any serial numbers for staples (I have circulated everything except hearts) and the only thing that you got numbers ect on were implantables like knees, breasts, ect. We (the RN's) simple open the staples(sterile of course)  and pass them off to the scrub. Hope this helps

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

ishary
on 5/10/10 12:51 pm - Whittier, CA
Thanks Sam!
I actually did fly last month so I went through the metal detector twice!!
no trouble there.
I really feel like there should be some way of the clinic tracking the staples used on us though.
As Tiffy was saying what if there was an issue with say the manufacturing process???
I mean we can track baby food, and just about everything else so it just seems really strange to me that there is not a way to trace down something used in a medical capacity. Internally at that.
I wont give up until I get a better response from the clinic but i must say that i feel so so so so much better right now from all of your advice.
I was really stressing over this more than I even was willing to admit to myself I guess.
Thanks again!
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/10 8:01 pm - AZ
On May 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM Pacific Time, sam30204 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your upcoming procedure.
To try and answer your question, if you have went through any metal detectors fine than i would feel fine about your staples. I am no expert but I believe I read on another sleeve place that if they were not titanium they would set off the alarms. Good luck to you

Also I cant speak for protocols everyhwere but here Dothan, AL in our OR we didnt record any serial numbers for staples (I have circulated everything except hearts) and the only thing that you got numbers ect on were implantables like knees, breasts, ect. We (the RN's) simple open the staples(sterile of course)  and pass them off to the scrub. Hope this helps

No, the staples (regardless of type) are very unlikely to set off alarms.  They are far smaller than you might realize.

ishary
on 5/10/10 12:43 pm - Whittier, CA
On May 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, greenbaygirl wrote:
Hey Irene,

I know nothing about serial numbers, etc. but I can tell you that I had my gall bladder out in March and my surgeon did verify titanium staples.  My hubby going this week also needs MRI's since he had cancer in 2006, so I also asked again about this issue, but will try to verify again this week.
Jean
Really?
The surgeon verified the titanium while in there taking out your GB?
That is fantastic news!!
Thank you JEan!
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

ishary
on 5/12/10 11:22 am - Whittier, CA
On May 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, greenbaygirl wrote:
Hey Irene,

Jean
Jean!! I fear you may have an issue!! I am really concerned and this posting is coming from a loving place so please dont take it any other way.
OK so you know that I have been going ba ZERK trying to find out everything I can about the staples after reading the posting by someone on this board that they were not titanium and yada yada yada....
OK well I spoke with a professional today and heres the deal:
Jean there is no way that your GB Surgeon  could have seen with the naked eye your staples! If in fact they did .... then you could be in danger and should be checked out immediatley!!
Apparently the staples are completley covered within a month or so or placement. There is scar tissue that would have to be opened (after a second staple line was put in place of course) then the staples would need to be taken out and tested in a lab setting.
Since you are going to be there with your husband - maybe you should discuss this with Almanza and Betancourt?
Please ask to see the staples if you can and if its not too much trouble take a picture of the box?
UGH!!!!
Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

Irishsweettart
on 5/10/10 8:50 am - North Las Vegas, NV
Dr Betancort showed us the staples in their supply when we were there for my sisters surgery April 3rd. They were all Titanium and had good expiration dates. I would not be worried in the least. Good luck on your spinal fusion, that sounds painfull in itself... hope your feeling better soon!

ishary
on 5/10/10 12:44 pm - Whittier, CA
Thank you so much!

Lap Band March 2007

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views