OK, So..........Constipation after VSG, everyone or just me?

greenbaygirl
on 5/7/10 11:00 am - Hobart, WI
This is awkward I know, but I am wondering if this is a common problem or it is just me?  I have tried Miralax but with minimal results.  I have tried drinking more water, minimal results.  I did have this issue occasionally before the sleeve, so I am not real surprised, but it seems to be a struggle.
Does anybody have a great cure without pills?  I eat well, exercise, and drink enough water, but still it comes up more frequent than I like!

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/10 12:48 pm
 I'm not as far out as you (wow! only 4 pounds to go, Way To Go!) so I don't know if our situations are similar....

One of the things I do is check how many grams of fat I'm averaging. If it's under 25 grams per day, then I'm stuck too. Increasing my fats by eating pumpkin seeds, almonds and even peanut butter seems to help. The fibre from these doesn't hurt, either.

Because I need calcium (by itself is a blocker), I get it with magnesium (milk of magnesium), and that will help, as well.

Since I'm carb light, I'll eat a cup or so of packed lettuce.

Sometimes I have to use all three, sometimes not.

Best,
Cheryl

FWLizzie
on 5/8/10 1:57 am - Fort Worth, TX
4 pounds away? That is soooo awesome!

OMG I thought I was the only one...I drink almost a gallon of water and stay within the limits of my  protein, carbs, calories, fat and also sugar and I still have such a hard time going.

I have attributed to maybe having too much protein a day (almost 100 grams)...I also blame my lack of "going" to my slow weight loss...does this make sense? I walk 45 minutes to an hour a day and still my loss has been slow.

I'll be interested to see what other people have to say!

Liz

Emily F.
on 5/8/10 2:25 am
Lizzie, don't worry about your slow weight loss, I'm in the exact same boat. Its so frustrating, isn't it??   I'm also having a little trouble going regularly. I though maybe that is where some of my lbs are!!! 

I guess I'll try miralax and see how it goes. I'm afraid to let it go too long.
greenbaygirl
on 5/8/10 6:05 am - Hobart, WI
I called my local bariatric surgeon and he recommended the daily miralax.  I don't mind it, as it is clear and tasteless stirred in my morning oj or whatever, but it doesn't always work so well.  I definately notice when it does because I lose a few pounds quickly.  (Sorry for "tmi")  My local bariatric doc says this is not uncommon for weightloss patients and to just keep working at it.  I have done a bit better with more fruit.  But when I don't, it's more thanuncomfortable, it is sometimes painful cramping, etc.
Just glad to know I am not the only one!  Misery loves company?

FWLizzie
on 5/8/10 7:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Just made it back from CVS and bought some.

I also read that avocado is really good as it has a very high content of fiber...13 grams for a medium one.

I hope that's where my pounds are lol...it is very frustrating!

Liz

Emily F.
on 5/8/10 10:50 pm
I just remembered that my nut said papaya or papaya pills are great for regulation.
jenni80
on 5/9/10 2:04 am
oh thats great info considering i have problems in that area anyways, tmi sorry.  does the miralax cause the kind of cramping you would get from a laxative?  is it ok to take with a new sleeve?? 

Jeanette  

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/10 2:21 am
 Highjack --

Hi Jenny!

How are you doing? Are you still excited about your surgery?
jenni80
on 5/10/10 11:27 am
Hi, yes im excited for my surgery just wi**** would get here already.  Im busy going to another state for a graduation this week for my brother and moving upstate  in 3 weeks so im busy up until surgery which im sure will make the time pass quickly.  thanks for asking.  I cant wait until i am posting as a post op

Jeanette  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views