What are the Best Practices for VSG Surgery in Mexico Surgery

need2bthin
on 4/26/10 10:01 am
VSG on 06/30/10 with

The point of ObesityHelp.com is to provide a forum for those with similar goals to learn and be encouraged from other experience. 

So I ask in advance that you do not waste time bashing doctors.  The purpose of this is to take the doctor out of the equation and provide suggestions for those considering leaving the comfort of their country to have surgery.

The intent of this topic is to cover next steps after you have selected a doctor.

Please limit responses to your personal experience related to the following topics.  If you do not have the personal experience, provide a source suggestion.

- Payment
  - Pre- Operation Preparation (PCP, pre-testing, X-rays, support groups, diet, preparing your environment for when you return)
  - Packing
  - What to do, what not to do in Mexico
  - Post - Operation ( pain management, meal replacement, exercise, visiting your PCP, X-rays, support group, prescriptions (Prevacid, etc.), Insurance post-op) 
  - What are the signs that something is wrong and what to do next?
  - What didn't you do that you wish you had done either prior or after your surgery?

Any other advice or Best Pactices would be helpful.

bigisbad
on 4/26/10 10:23 am - Canada, Canada
1. I paid in cash. I would suggest paying with a cashiers cheque or credit card. Ask first what methods they accept.
2. I went to see my GP. I was given a physical and sent for complete blood work so we had something to compare after surgery. I cut out alcohol and fatty foods for 1 month prior. I researched as much as possible on two websites to learn more of aftercare. That's it. I purchased broths and shakes with hi protein ahead of time 
3. I took too much crap there. You need sweat pants and a top for three days. All the meds I took were not used. I would advise you to take gasX strips and some pain meds.
4. I was in MX a day ahead of time and a few days after. Felt safe at all times. Was not out after dark though.
5. I had no pain so did not require any meds. Meals were broth for the first week and a half. Moved to mushies in the second week. No exercise other than yard work so far. I am almost 3 weeks out. Saw my GP to get my stitches out on day 10. I think that's to early. Two incisions opened up a few days later. No prescriptions and no Insurance.
6. I feel great so can not answer your questions there.
7. Would of investigated my coordinator more. Ask them more questions of what they were going to do for me. Mine just booked the surgery and I saw her for 10 minutes.
8. I would go with someones as it eases the pain and worry.
My biggest recommendation is to research your coordinator and get in writing "what she is going to do for you".
Of course... just my opinion.
Good Luck

greenbaygirl
on 4/26/10 1:25 pm, edited 4/29/10 8:18 am - Hobart, WI

I sent a deposit via PAYPAL several weeks in advance, and then hand delivered a certified check for the balance.  Felt very comfortable with this procedure.

I spoke to 2 bariatric surgeons near my home before deciding on my sleeve and got alot of information from them on nutrition, etc.  You can research any bariatric site on the web and get alot of good information.  I personally did not do any protein shakes or drinks, as you move to full soups at day 8 and then to mushies on day 15, so I was eating better than I had been considering my prior diet of carbs, etc.  I do take a multi vitamin and calcium citrate as recommended by the local bariatric docs here.

I had a heart attack 8 weeks prior to my VSG surgery and had been advised to think seriously about getting this type of surgery to lower my risk of future heart attacks.   I had lab work and much testing for cardiology as well as getting a clearance for surgery which my surgeon insisted on.   I took a copies of all my medical records with me which were studied intently by both the Cardiologist and Dr. Almanza.  I only did the three day liquid diet, but if I had to do it over again, I would do it much longer.

I made sure everything was done-up at my home before leaving so I would not be tempted to do alot when returning.  (laundry, cleaning, bedding, errands)  I was more than able to drive and go about my normal routine when I got home, but it was nice not to have to do anything for a week.

Pack very lightly, you really just need minimal clothing for 3 days as Terry said, and not much else.

As for signs that something is wrong.........any kind of fever and you need to be concerned.  Blood pressure out of whack...too high or low...need to watch.  If you are alarmed or feel something is wrong, you should immediately tell a nurse, who should then alert the surgeon.  Don't wait!  If you cannot get an a satisfactory answer from the nurse, INSIST on talking to the surgeon!!!
Call your co-ordinator at ANY time you feel uncomfortable or that something is wrong.  Be calm BUT PERSISTANT.  If you think something is wrong, voice that concern.

I agree with Terry, that while I did see many people go it alone,  I do feel it is best to travel with someone who can advocate for you.

I agree also about finding out what your co-ordinator will or won't do, and whether or not they are available to you 24/7.  I was quite fortunate with that both times I was there  (my surgery and my sister's) as my co-ordinator was VERY available 24/7, and I felt quite comfortable with her.  Now heading back there for the 3rd time on May 14th, I again feel quite comfortable with my new co-ordinator in Melissa.  She has quickly answered every email and phone call with numerous questions.

As for what I would do differently.................I would have my gall bladder out at the same time as my sleeve.  I had been warned that many weight loss patients have gall bladder issues, and about 6 months after my sleeve I began having trouble.  It took 2 months before I was correctly diagnosed and then had it out, but it cost me alot in terms or deductible/co-pay and PAIN!  It was the most painful thing I have ever had.  My husband is having the sleeve on May 14th, and he will be having his removed at the same time.

I took out my own stitches at 10 days, and one of the incisions did pop out a bit, but I closed it with a butterfly strip.  Leaving them in longer creates issues too, so I removed them at 10 days.  It is very easy to do this, and my local doctor was unconcerned about me doing so. (am a former EMT)   I will be taking out my hubby's also.

I never felt anything other than safe, but I also would not go out anywhere at night just to be on the safe side unless I was with one of the hospital driver/chaperones.

Hope this helps!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views