nurses

Boscogirl
on 4/28/10 4:17 am - TX
Congrats!  Are you getting the band?  If so, please make sure to do a lot of research about with people who have it.  I came here convinced it was the only surgery I would have but I am so thankful that I found out about the sleeve.  No maintenance whatsoever and there are rarely any complications with it.  There are MANY horror stories on here with the lap band.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/29/10 5:21 am - AZ
It totally depends on the doctor you are going to. Some are beyond dangerous, some are safer than staying at home.

Don't shop by price, you'll be operated on with veterinary supplies.
FabBy50 .
on 4/30/10 10:09 am - Everett, WA
Hey PK3207

Don't want to start a war, but I was not sure if you are doing the band or the sleeve? If you are doing the band, please think twice...it is not what you think it will be. Do lots of research, I don't have a problem with your Dr, just the band. Please don't take this wrong, I just want to help!!!
pk3207
on 4/30/10 4:25 pm - Canada
What is wrong with the band?
I have done a lot of research and actually have a friend who had it done and she said she wouldnt have it any other way.  It is only a tool, and ill work with it.  I dont want to reconstruct my insides if it is not needed... i think the band is perfect for me
greenbaygirl
on 4/30/10 5:20 pm - Hobart, WI
Hi there,

I don't think anyone is trying to talk you in or out of anything.  When you say you have done alot of research....you mean like 2 weeks worth, 2 months  or 2 years?  Call several Bariatric Surgeons in your local area and ask their opinion.  Perhaps ask them the best procedure long term and why.

I started out this way myself....both local doctors stated that the VSG was a far superior procedure for the long term as data suggests that there are VERY few people with their band intact 7 years out.

There are also many variables with the band.  Again, ask several local surgeons with a good reputation.

Next.........in your research, you should find that there are MANY people who used to have the band, but it either slipped, eroded, or didn't work for them and it had to be removed, therefore putting them back at square one.  Many banders will tell you they wish they had never done it.  Of course, you have a friend who has it and loves it, so it might be pertinent to ask how long she has had it, and again ask an expert who in fact does them along with sleeves and DS and RNY what they think the best procedure might be for you.

Next, find some sleevers/DS and ask as many as you can find, if they would ever change the procedure they chose.  I would be surprised if you find any.  The DS and sleeve is a one shot deal, with very few complications, whereas the band has alot of variables.

That's not to say, it is the wrong choice for you, but what Bernadette was trying to say is that she hopes for you it truly is the right procedure.  Many of us start out with the band, but after serious research and digging for statistics, and specific questioning of the bariatric surgeons, MOST of them will in fact tell you that the sleeve is a better option generally speaking.

They will do whatever procedure you feel is best for you, but many on the sleeve/DS boards have already had the band and can tell you the pitfalls and what they went through.  The band boards cannot do that.  It seems that they either work or they don't and there are just more issues with them. I know several people who have the band and love it, but I know 6 people who used to have the band and had to have it removed, and then had another procedure after that.

With the sleeve, you are not reconstructing your insides.....that would be the RNY, and yes, there is rerouting or "reconstructing" as you say.  VSG is quite straight forward and there is no aftercare follow up to it as a procedure.  Your stomach is simply made smaller, nothing other than that.  It is also much easier to eat through the band, but not with the sleeve.  The cost and hassle of fills is also something you need to be aware of.

We're all on here to support, we just want you to be informed.  It would be a tragedy if we knew this information and didn't share it and 3 years down the road you said "I wish somebody had told me all this".  There are pros and cons to all the procedures, so read them carefully, and ask several bariatric surgeons yourself.

Good luck to you.   Whatever you choose has to be what YOU are comfortable with.

Jean
FabBy50 .
on 5/1/10 3:04 am - Everett, WA
I second what Greenbay just said!! I went into my first surgery thinking the band was perfect for me too. Nine months later I had to have it out!! So being a sel pay person, I had to pay for 2 surgeries within 9 months!!!!!  That is a lot of money. I went into getting the band thinking, I won't have the complications that everyone else has!! WRONG! I followed all of the rules, did what I was supposed to do and still my band had to come out.

Don't take just my word for it, talk to Tiffykins, Airforcewife, MWG, BJBean just to name a few. They are all band to sleeve girls. Please do more research for yourself, not me! I just want people to have a safe surgery and not have to do it again in a few months.

Good luck!!
pk3207
on 5/1/10 1:41 pm - Canada
OOO ok i get ya... I just get a little defensive mainly cause every person ive told has said to me that I dont need it or know what im doing.. (boyfriend, two best friends, nurse)  sorry . Ya ill look into the other ones...
pk3207
on 5/1/10 1:43 pm - Canada
what about that balloon they put in your stomach, you know anyone who had that?
Nicki H.
on 5/2/10 4:34 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Everyone on here is right.  Do your research and choose the surgery that is right for you.  Bdette...you're doing great!  It's good to see you've found your fit:)
I was banded in Mx, I have lost 120lbs and to date(knock on wood)I have had ZERO problems.  I get fills at Fill Management NW when I need them and have an MD south of me if something happens.
Good luck to you and whatever choice you make!

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

FabBy50 .
on 5/3/10 12:35 pm - Everett, WA
On May 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM Pacific Time, Nicki H. wrote:
Everyone on here is right.  Do your research and choose the surgery that is right for you.  Bdette...you're doing great!  It's good to see you've found your fit:)
I was banded in Mx, I have lost 120lbs and to date(knock on wood)I have had ZERO problems.  I get fills at Fill Management NW when I need them and have an MD south of me if something happens.
Good luck to you and whatever choice you make!
Hi Nicki

It looks like you are the one who is doing GREAT!!!!  Totally amazing job that you have done! I used to get all of my fills at Fill mnagement too, I love Kitty and Robin! I should stop in and see then, I need to show them the real me!! The last time I was there was for an unfill before my sleeve. I'm so happy that you are doing well!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views