nurses

pk3207
on 4/26/10 9:25 am - Canada

Hey!
So I just talked to my nurse at work and she thinks im absolutely insane for even thinking about going to mexico... Can you give me some insight! She asked if I ever thought about getting aids, hepatitis, not being able to get back to canada if they messed up and i became terribly ill..
She asked if the doctor was accredited and if i ever wondered why it was so much cheaper to do it there rather than canada..

I dont know, it seems like everyone I tell has a way to tell me its a horrible idea..
Help meee lol

Emily F.
on 4/26/10 9:39 am
Everything is cheaper in Mexico. Definitely check your docs credentials and see if the hospital is a Center of Excellence or have they applied to be.

My hospital was a private hospital. I think a lot of them our so its not like you are with the general population with contagious diseases or anything. I was on a surgical floor.

You should talk to your doc about when to come home and what happens with complications. I know my doctors' said you only had to pay for the hospital room for extra nights if they were needed.

I think some of the Almanza people were talking about no restriction flights back home. Where its an open ended plane ticket. My doc was a little surprised when I told him I already had my plane ticket home. But that is how I did it, I guess I could have wasted that money so the open ended ticket might have been a good idea.

My experience was really, really good. Everything was first class with the private hospital and the hotel w restaurant.

Research, research, research your doc. You should know how many surgeries, what surgeries, complication rate. Everything.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
bigisbad
on 4/26/10 10:33 am - Canada, Canada
I'm going to answer your question abit different.
Since I also live in Canada (most of the time) I would suggest you get the procedure performed in Canada. Here's the question... can you afford it. If yes... go for it. If no... Mexico is a great alternative.
Next... pick a surgeon that has alot of experience with your type of procedure.
The vast difference of what you are paying MX vs Canada is the cost of the physicians insurance.
As far as getting aids, infections, hep... who is your nurse friend kidding?
That happens in Canada and the US every day.
I'm three weeks out (almost) and things are good.
Good Luck
Ciao

Margo N.
on 4/26/10 2:52 pm
My Canadian PCP was very supportive of my decision to go to Mexico. I have lived in and been in hospitals in the US, the UK, and Canada, and the care in Mexico was as good, of and actually better than in those places.  Many Mexican docs have been doing this surgery for much longer than surgeons in Canada.

My blog at www.vsggoodlife.com has a full account of my experiences.

Good luck to you!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

thinasiwant
on 4/26/10 4:14 pm
Based on what?
Thinasiwant

NursieGirl
on 4/27/10 4:13 am
 Margo is right!  Because so many insurance companies have not traditionally covered bariatric procedures, and because wait lists are so long, many Mexican surgeons are actually MORE experienced in these specific procedures than surgeons in the U.S. or Canada because they are the affordable and "quick" choice.  Make sure you do your research and weigh the pros and cons of each surgery, and the package deal, if that's what you're going with.  They will all be a little different, and offer a unique experience.  Also, if the surgeon performs surgery in a surgical center instead of a hospital, the cost will be lower.  If you stay in a hotel or recovery house instead of a hospital for recovery, the cost will be lower.  You need to think about what's really important for you, and find a doctor and facility that fills those needs.

ishary
on 4/27/10 4:22 am - Whittier, CA
On April 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, pk3207 wrote:

Hey!
So I just talked to my nurse at work and she thinks im absolutely insane for even thinking about going to mexico... Can you give me some insight! She asked if I ever thought about getting aids, hepatitis, not being able to get back to canada if they messed up and i became terribly ill..
She asked if the doctor was accredited and if i ever wondered why it was so much cheaper to do it there rather than canada..

I dont know, it seems like everyone I tell has a way to tell me its a horrible idea..
Help meee lol

I think the main thing is that you just need to do a LOT of research.
The choice in the end is yours and yours alone.
Just make sure that you feel comfortable with your choice and if you still have doubts then most likely you should  just wait.
I have had surgery 3 times in Mexico. The first 2 I have no complaints and would reccomend that surgeon and facility without hesitation. The third and last surgery (VSG) I would not reccomend the group or facility that I went with.
If you want to talk send me a private messaage.
Good Luck!!
Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

pk3207
on 4/27/10 7:10 am - Canada
Thanks everyone!
I have decided to go with Mexico Dr. Ortiz.  Me AND my mom are going now. yay! May 26th is the date and ill be sure to go see that nurse with all the info i have received
Kelleigh710
on 4/27/10 7:13 am
Sweet! You're going to do great 
ishary
on 4/27/10 8:26 am, edited 4/27/10 8:27 am - Whittier, CA
YAY!! Congratulations!!!
I know that has to feel good that your Mamma is going with you!!!
I have had mine with me for every procedure!!
LOL!
Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views