US Dollars, Pesos, or Debit Card?

Brandy K.
on 4/22/10 10:31 pm - Garland, TX
What kind of money did you postops carry on you in Mexico? As I'm going to be there for ten days, there is obviously going to be some shopping going on. At the very least, I'll need bottled water and sugar free popsicles and whatnot.

I know most of you did some shopping. From your experience, what would be the easiest to have on me?

shunt1960
on 4/22/10 10:47 pm
VSG on 04/28/10 with

Most places in Mexico will accept the US Dollar.  That's all I've ever taken on my previous visits and all I'll be taking next week wen I go again for my surger.

Good Luck to you!

SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

Brandy K.
on 4/22/10 10:51 pm - Garland, TX
Thanks! Good luck to you, too! I'm almost jealous. I've always wanted to see Puerto Vallarta. I've never seen the ocean. Enjoy your trip!

Boscogirl
on 4/23/10 12:57 am - TX
You can pay in US dollars but you will get your change back in pesos so eventually you will be able to pay with pesos.  I don't recommend using a cc or a debit card because every time we used one they charged an extra fee. :(
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Emily F.
on 4/23/10 4:59 am
Ditto Boscogirl.
FWLizzie
on 4/23/10 5:18 am - Fort Worth, TX
Dollars it's the best method and depending on what the exchange rate is...you'll be getting more for your money. They also prefer dollars vs pesos but Kim is right, they'll give you the change in pesos.

I wouldn't take too much cash...if anything take your debit card and if you need to, withdraw money from an ATM...depending on your bank, they might or might not charge you...You're not gonna be in the best condition to keep up with money....so I would rather pay a fee if there's one.

Bottled water and popsicles or anything you need to eat while you're there, will probably be provided by your doctor.

jenni80
on 4/23/10 11:42 am
If you are givin pesos can you exchange back to us dollars before you go back????

Jeanette  

FWLizzie
on 4/23/10 12:54 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Yes you can, one of the girls that traveled with me, stopped at a pharmacy and bought b12 shots to get rid of her cash...she used her left over pesos and then the difference in dollars.

jenni80
on 4/24/10 6:31 pm
Hey Osage18 your surgery is in 2weeks and 2 days.  That is so exciting its so close.  I remember reading your posts months ago and now its finally here.  Good luck to you and I will be saying lots of prayers for a uneventful surgery, fast healing and quick weight loss for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanette  

jenni80
on 4/24/10 6:33 pm
Oppps Im sorry 1 week and 3 days which is even better because its sooner.  If you feel up to it after surgery please post and let us know how you are doing.  Big hugs, Jenny

Jeanette  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views