This option closed for me

jenni80
on 4/24/10 6:37 am
Hey vinnymac, how are you since you had wls??  Did you girlfriend have it???

Jeanette  

Bookweight
on 4/26/10 11:57 pm - Hudsonville, MI
Oh, how I can sympathize.  I am reading the "Mexico Forum" because I have been turned down by 2 different insurance companies.

I have a BMI of high 30's (varies between 35-39) and have Type 2 diabetes.   I thought I'd be a shoe-in for surgical approval.

The first insurance company (an HMO with one of the Blues) had a requirement that I had done a "physician supervised" weight loss program for a minimum of 6 months within the previous 2 years.  No probem - I had done that, I thought!   Well, during that 6-month diet program, you had to fill out weekly progress sheets.   During the 2 weeks before Christmas the week I was on the weight-loss program, I reported that I did not exercise.   Fast forward 2 years....and the Blues refused me for WLS because I had been "non compliant" for those 2 weeks (out of 6 months) on the medical weight loss program.

Fast forward a year - now a different insurance company.   This one requires that my BMI be 35+ for 5 years.   Well, because of that time on the physician-supervised weight loss program, when my BMI had dropped to 32.....now *THIS* insurance company has refused me.   (Of course, I've rebounded mightily and my BMI is now higher than it's EVER been before.....)    Yes, I'm appealing, because I can document a BMI of 35+ 5 years ago, then 2 years where it dropped below 35.....but one would think that I have proved the "spirit" of the 5-year requirement (which I assume to be that one must prove obesity is a long-term problem I've been struggling with), that to refuse me because of temporarily dropping BELOW 35 due to the short-term success of previous weight loss efforts seems ridiculously punitive, yes?

I'll keep you posted - but if my appeal doesn't work, I have two choices:  (1) wait another 2.5 years to full the 5 year requirement; or (2) take a Mexican vacation.    As I don't anticipate my overall physical health (let alone my mental health) will improve by being morbidly obese for another 2.5 years, I'm thinking I'll be a health-care tourist before the end of the summer!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views