This option closed for me

BethR311
on 4/17/10 1:08 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
As of May 1, my insurance company will only pay for bariatric surgery done at their chosen "center of excellence."  They only pay half to a lifetime max of either $10 or $25K anyway so they never did very well ... but now I will never be able to afford this, my house is too cheap ($50K) to have any decent equity and my credit is only so so ... sorry.  I just had to throw me a pity party.
emeraldskye
on 4/17/10 2:15 pm - Vancouver, Canada
I have seen that some clinics offer loans.  I really don't know what kind of credit is needed but it doesn't hurt  to try.

I hope something positive happens for you.  

FabBy50 .
on 4/17/10 2:57 pm - Everett, WA
Hi Beth

I don't think I understood fully what you will have to pay out of pocket? I don't know if you have considered it, but there are a lot of great surgeons in Mexico. If you have to pay partically out of pocket and can not afford it, go to Mexico.

Keep us posted!
ishary
on 4/18/10 1:21 am - Whittier, CA
On April 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM Pacific Time, BethR311 wrote:
As of May 1, my insurance company will only pay for bariatric surgery done at their chosen "center of excellence."  They only pay half to a lifetime max of either $10 or $25K anyway so they never did very well ... but now I will never be able to afford this, my house is too cheap ($50K) to have any decent equity and my credit is only so so ... sorry.  I just had to throw me a pity party.
Please dont give up!! If there is a will there is a way!!!
Mexico can be an alternative for you!! Many great doctors!! You can get this surgery done for under 10K no problem!!
I will be praying for you!!
Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

jenni80
on 4/18/10 1:53 am
Oh hon in the last year i have been through this crap over and over.  You feel like theres no hope but dont worry there is.  Just dont give up and keep looking into all options.  Whats right will pop up for you as long as you dont give up.  Please keep us updated with what you decide.  This is your health, dont give up on it.

Jeanette  

Boscogirl
on 4/18/10 7:35 am - TX
My VSG surgery with Dr. Almanza was $5500.  I also know that there is a way they will finance a part of it.  There was a patient there with me who had financed $1500 of her's.  There is a lot of mudslinging on here when it comes to this doc but you are an adult and you can read and make up your own mind.  I had a great experience and have no regrets.  Wishing you all the best!
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
hollykim
on 4/18/10 10:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
hang in there. Maybe all is not lost.

I looked into Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez. he has in house financing directly thru his office. you pay a down payment and then the balance in monthly payments to his office.   WWW.beliteweight.com.

Good luck!
Holly

BethR311
on 4/19/10 8:42 am - Fort Wayne, IN

Just wanted to pop back in and say Hi and Thank you ALL for your kind words and thoughts!  I have been keeping an eye on the whole Almanza/Betancourt drama and taking it all with a big grain of salt. 

I am just so damn mad at my insurance company.  They talk about wellness but have one of the toughest, crappiest WLS benefits around.  They won't even get us a decent break on a Y membership!

Bye for now,  Beth

NursieGirl
on 4/19/10 2:15 pm
 Beth, that sucks!  It just SUCKS!  Feel free to have a pity party!  I will even e-bake you some e-cupcakes for it.  But when you've wallowed in the pity enough, attack your options with renewed vigor.  I am a student in debt with only a part-time job and I am finding a way! So an you!

vinnymac
on 4/22/10 6:53 am - Mobile, AL
Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez.and WWW.BELITEWEIGHT.COM or great they will find a way for you to have your surgery just look them up they will help you so much ask for Joanne she was my Patient Facilitator she will handle everthing.Don't ever give up

Vinny Mac

Vinny Mac

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views