Safety being anywhere in Mexico

NursieGirl
on 4/19/10 3:58 pm
 I've been to Mexico several times and never felt in danger.  In fact, there was a recent article.... which I now can't seem to find, talking about how violence is on the rise in Mexico but it is still less than in Washington DC!

CAMom
on 4/20/10 12:42 am, edited 4/20/10 12:43 am
I went with Dr Almanza's clinic and never ONCE felt unsafe!!!!

I started out on this journey SCARED. For one, because I have never been to Mexico and I had it way worse in my head than it actually was, and two... I went alone.

I was never "walking the streets". I was never "alone". The recovery houses are in a gated community too. The only type of violence I witnessed was some road rage (they drive crazy). lol You see that here in the states too. Terry did say a window was broken on their suv while at the xray lab. Don't want to scare you, just give you more info.

I had never been to Mexico and I assumed THE WORST... but I felt very safe. I had the same feeling when I was at my hotel in San Diego honestly. The neighborhood is not as nice as what I am use to and I watch things a little more closely... but all is fine and its just paranoia on my part. lol

I can't speak for how other clinics/hospitals keep their patients safe... but IMO you will be safe with Dr. Almanza. :)

Edited to add.... I didn't tell ANYONE about my trip to Mexico for surgery because I had already made up my mind and I KNEW family and friends would disagree and try to talk me out of it. I still haven't told them and probably wont til after summer when I am at a healthy BMI and it "worked". I LOVE my sleeve and wow, it worked... but others won't understand the surgery or the Mexico part until they see the final results. lol

Honey, it's your decision! You'll make the best choice!

Sleeved 3-4-2010 SW: 205 CW: 130ish Height: 5'6" Goal: ACHIEVED!
Plastics on 6-20-2011 with Dr. Lara - TT, BA, BL & Lipo :)

jenni80
on 4/20/10 2:27 am

Oh I am for sure going in 8 weeks and 1 day and counting.lol  I just get worried and then I am A Ok.  I grew up in southern california and lived in imperial beach which is about 10 minutes from the border so I have seen what its like and yes im terrified of the driving.  Im a little worried about my hubby because he has never seen anything like it but he surprises me with what he can handle.  I just shouldnt have told her but im going to not say anything and then go and come home and let her know its done.  My brother and his girlfriend who are in oceanside know we will be down there so they are close by, but it sounds to me like we will be really safe.  Now I just have the presurgery jitters and that wont go away until i have the surgery i am sure.  I cant wait for it, im really excited.

Jeanette  

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/10 11:58 am - Califreakinfornia , CA

Check safety and travel advisories as needed, particularly if your destination is Mexico or S. America: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens in Mexico, please contact the U.S. Embassy or the closest U.S. Consulate.  The numbers provided below for the Embassy and Consulates are available around the clock.  The U.S. Embassy is located in Mexico City at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtemoc, telephone from the United States: 011-52-55-5080-2000; telephone within Mexico City: 5080-2000; telephone long distance within Mexico 01-55-5080-2000.  You may also contact the Embassy by e-mail at: [email protected] The Embassy's internet address is http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/.

Tijuana (Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur): Tapachula 96, telephone (011)(52)(664) 622-7400. http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service.html.

For after-hour emergencies, please call the Embassy at 01-52-55-5080-2000, press "0", and ask the switchboard operator to connect you to the duty officer.  Also, among the links on the left you will find information for most emergency situations.

U.S. citizens in other areas of Mexico should seek the assistance of the U.S. Consulates or Consular agencies located throughout the country. Click on the following to find a directory of Consulates and Consular Agencies.

The United States Government has no higher responsibility than to serve and protect its citizens, including those *****side or are temporarily abroad. The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit provides prompt, courteous, and efficient services to United States Citizens and other clients, consistent with U.S. laws and regulations.

The ACS Unit in Mexico City provides a wide range of services to American citizens traveling or residing in Mexico City, including applications for passports, registration of citizens living in or traveling in Mexico, information on voter’s registration, notarial services for documents to be used in the United States and certain emergency services relating to deaths, arrests and temporary destitution. U.S. citizens in Mexico are, of course, subject to Mexican laws and procedures.

For information on visas for Mexican citizens, please click on http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/evisas.html. If you still have questions, these must be directed to our visa appointment and information service by calling 01-900-849-4949 from anywhere in Mexico. If calling from the U.S. or using a calling or credit card, please call:

From U.S.: (011-52-477) 788-7070.
From Mexico: (01-477) 788-7070.

If you are going to be in Mexico for any length of time, please register to receive emergency e-mail notifications and our quarterly newsletter. Any information you give us is completely confidential and will only be released when authorized by you to do so.

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/citizen_services.html

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/10 2:38 pm - AZ
Your Mom is partly correct. It's not the entire country that is at issue, it is very specific cities and the two worst being Tijuana and Juarez. You couldn't pay me to go to either city.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 429 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 620 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1207 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1833 views