Dr Joya in Mexico

NatalieK
on 4/14/10 2:20 pm
Hi I am looking to have a gastric bypass surgery in Mexico with Dr Joya.  Has anyone used him that could give me information.  If you used him are you happy you did, any regrets?  I am trying to determine if this is a good idea to have my surgery in Mexico.  How are follow up appointments handled?  If anyone has any information they can give me I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Natalie
shunt1960
on 4/15/10 12:43 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with
Hi Natalie,

I am having surgery with Dr. Joya on April 28th.  I initially was going to have RNY but changed my mind after doing a lot of research and am now having VSG.  There are several people on here that have had surgery with Dr. Joya.   Also, search youtube as there are quite a few people who videoed their experience.    I know of  one other person here who is going to Dr. Joya as well shortly after me.    I'd be happy to share my experience once I have it done.   I spent several months researching before making my decision.  I have not been able to find any negatives only positives.  

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Shari
SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

PeanutFreeMom
on 4/15/10 12:56 am - Canada
I didn't use him, but I know a few folks who have and they have all spoken very highly of him and of the hospital.  More importantly, I haven't heard negative reports :)

Andy, who sometimes posts on OH has a youtube blog that's really great and Dr. Joya was his surgeon:
http://www.youtube.com/user/thinjourney

He had the sleeve though, as I did.
Good Luck!!

HW: 225  |  SW: 198  |  CW: 123 | Height: 5' 7.5"  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!

13 lbs below goal :)
mrsbu
on 4/15/10 8:13 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/21/08 with
I had my RNY with Dr Joya and loved him and the staff. I chose him for many reasons back in 2008 and the safety of Puerta Vallarta was one of those reasons, far safer then the border towns, in my opinion. While I was in PV my hubby got sick and they graciously treated him as well as me. Hospital was flawless and give or take we could all understand eachother.

Follow up at home was done by GP who was on baord from day 1, as my insurance would not cover the procedure. I had diabettes which was insulin resistant, hugh blood pressure, choleterol, knee problems, back problems...............I take only a sleeping pill now and vitamins. Please if you would like to talk about this IM me and I will give you my number
Sandra Mannaravalappil......The Best Darn Chubby Realtor in Charlotte LOL

Ashley1214
on 4/15/10 2:18 pm - delray beach, FL
RNY on 05/18/09 with
Hes great!! i would do it again with him! the hospital was very nice...any questions PM me!

Sharonda
on 4/16/10 3:54 am - Canada
VSG on 11/10/09 with
Hi, I had a VSG done by Dr. Joya in Nov 2009.  Loving it and the results so far.  Dr. Joya, his staff and the hospital staff were all great.  I see my GP for my follow up bloodwork also just to check that my levels are on track (at the 3 month mark and will go again at 6 months). 

I have no regrets.  The cost was considerably less than at home for self pay and basically no wait time as here at home.  The hosptial facility I was in, CornerStone, was exceptionally clean and had up to date equipment too.  The only tip I really have is to get your prescriptions they day of your consultation before your surgery so you can have them filled before hand.  Best of luck.  You are in great hands!
 5'4"
HW 242
SW 202
GW 115
CW 146

mybadof4
on 4/16/10 10:56 pm - De Pere, WI
RNY on 11/09/09 with
Hi,

I had the rny with Dr Joya in November of 2009.  Everything was great!  I had problems with my galbladder a month after I got back and Dr Joya and Gerald (cordinater) were both there for me.  I just got back from PV 2 weeks ago again.  My sister went down and also had the rny, things went great for her also.  When I was there Dr Joya did a follow up scope on me and was very caring 5 months after my surgery.  Pv was very safe!!  Hotel was very nice, and staff very friendly.  My niece is now thinking about going down to get it done.  Good luck!
 Mary       
HW 238 SW 215 GW 135 2nd GW 125 CW 120 
LoriA702
on 4/20/10 12:20 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 11/11/09 with
I had VSG with Dr. Joya in November, as did ,my sister.  The experience was wonderful and I would highly recommend him and his staff.  If you have any specific questions, please send me a PM.  Good luck!

HW:236/SW:224/CW:148/GW:140                 

freedomdove
on 10/6/11 1:28 am
I am new?!  I have a date set, but I am feeling nervous about the fact that all I have done, is emailed with "Gerald"  I am supposed to put thousands of dollars into a Bank of America account....my husband & I  are less than confident.  Webpages can be created, names copied etc...I have no doubt that Dr Joya & Gerald exist, but how do you reconcile and feel comfortable with the payments?!  Some help from anyone of you wonderful people, would be greatly appreciated!

Treen! 
cvilla84
on 4/9/13 4:30 am - TX
I have the same concerns. Did everything go ok with your surgery?
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views