I wonder when it's gonna hit me...

Brandy K.
on 4/15/10 2:03 am, edited 4/15/10 2:09 am - Garland, TX
So, I'm 10 days away from starting my liquid diet, I'm 18 days away from getting on that plane to Monterrey, and I'm 20 days away from surgery. It doesn't feel real yet. It still feels months and months away.

I've been trying to have this done for 5 years now. You'd think I'd be jumping out of my skin knowing that I'm less than a month away.

I have protein powders (several flavors), I'm going to make chicken stock soon and freeze some, I have vitamins, I have clothes to shrink into... my flights, hotel, and transportation are all booked...

I've asked my coordinator and my surgeon every question I could think of and have actually run out of things to wonder about. They, in their awesomeness, have answered every single question plus some I didn't think to ask about. Because I'm going to be in Mexico for 10 days with a couple of guests, my coordinator arranged to have a fridge put in my hotel room.

So far, I couldn't be happier with Travel for Care or Dr. Horacio Guajardo. They've been absolutely amazing, even after I sent in my money.

Of course, I will update everyone on my experience after I get back, but even before the surgery, I've never received such personal attention from a doctor before. I have his phone number and his email and he responds to EVERYTHING. And he's told me to give his contact information to any of my doctors or members of my family who might have questions. 

I've been sort of obsessive. I got on Google maps, found the hospital and the hotel, switched to street view and checked out each of them from every angle... and then checked out the neighborhoods they're in. I look at them via satellite images. I look at any images posted by other Googlers. I've Googled everything to death.

The hospital, by the way, looks AWESOME. It's gated all the way around and there are guards at the entrances. Not that it's in a bad place, by any means. The area around the hospital has pharmacies and stores and whatnot. It's just nice to see that they have security. It's a private hospital, afterall.

The hotel (Hampton Inn) is in a pretty busy place. There's a strip mall with a movie theater and a grocery store right next to it. Unfortunately, the street view car dips down into a tunnel before I really get a good view of everything that strip mall has to offer. Being there 10 days, my guests will probably be using that strip mall a lot.

Anyway, I'm rambling. No real point. Though, I do wonder... how many others had a hard time grasping the reality of their upcoming surgeries?

bigisbad
on 4/15/10 2:24 am - Canada, Canada
The time will pass before you know it.
Have a uneventful surgery and I wish you the very best.

Brandy K.
on 4/15/10 2:32 am - Garland, TX
Thanks! I'm glad to see you came out alright and that you went in with lots of experience being in Mexico.

This will be my first trip. I'm not sure what to expect, exactly, but I think that culture shock is what traveling is all about! I'm looking forward to it and I'm glad I'll have some time to look around.

Brandy K.
on 4/15/10 3:50 am, edited 4/15/10 3:52 am - Garland, TX
In case anyone is interested in Monterrey or having their surgery with any doctor at the Hospital San Jose Tec de Monterrey, here are some of my favorite street view perspectives!

Guards. Yay!

Isn't it pretty?

Service entrance, nurses, big steel doors and another guard. Yay!

Entrance gates and a pharmacy... I gotta check that place out. I hear they're verrrry different than the pharmacies up here.

Emily F.
on 4/15/10 11:31 am
You are doing exactly what you should be doing: Preparing. It will make the experience all that much better!! Good luck!
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views