Hmmm... would I do it all over again?

bigisbad
on 4/14/10 10:48 am - Canada, Canada
Hello all and may I say thank you for the many emails and comments from various supporters. I have tried to have fun with this surgery and have always tried to stay on the lighter side of things. Surgery was performed and I paid my $$ so I guess all is good.

This clinic has been under controversy for quite some time. I have tried to put alot of it out of my mind because many of the negative posters were people that had never been there and hear say is dangerous.

I am an extremely were traveled individual. Columbia, Vietnam, China, Africa, Greece, Italy, Germany, Thailand... and that's just hitting the top of the list. I have traveled Mexico over 80 visits. So I thought I was up to the challenge. Order a beef taco and getting pollo is no big deal. Ordering a pain shot and getting... you get it.

While traveling Mexico I have been in villages so small that the population was 2 and so large that I got lost for a week... tequila does not help. But what I forgot was that although I love Mexico... when it comes to surgery and your life... it is so different than being on vacation. You need to trust people!

If I can just give a bit of advice... and I mean only abit...

I would suggest you travel with someone (if possible) who can give you better post care than you will get elsewhere.

Next, do not put ALL your faith in your coordinator. They are your sales people. While I was there, some coordinators did not even show up to see their patients, some saw them for an hour or so and some... you get the drift. Ask your cordinator what they are going to "do for you".

I felt sorry for family members back home that were not called by coordinators or office staff when they promised to call them after a patients surgery. Sit by the phone and wait for a call that should be in an hour or so that has pertinent information of a loved one ... and not get it.

Dr.s that say their licensed in one country and the coordinator saying... no, they are licensed in this country. It does make you wonder

Communication... I have pages to say on that matter but it means so much when you have no idea whats next. If you meet someone also having surgery that speaks Spanish... be their best friend. (thanks liz).

We were then on a very bad week is what I was told. From vehicles being vandalized, Dr. having to leave the OR for a personal emergency, to coordinators that left their patients on their own.

Now after all that I think that the 5 minutes I spent with my physician was educational and soothing. I wish my wife could of met him. She tried that morning but the clinic administrators forgot to send a car for her. I only confirmed 3 times the night before... should of made it 4...     hmmm....

Hats off to all the ladies that traveled alone. Also to the ones that had to travel back home when they felt like dirt. I have so much respect for you all. Kath and I have many new friends all will cherish the week. Special thanks to Liz and her sister Laura for assisting ALL the patients there that week.

Would I do it again....?
I would. Three days out I hope I have no problems. When asked how I felt... I advise other patients to ask me in 6 months. Surgery was just one hurdle in a very long race. Alot of patients had very brave faces but were also very worried by the poor communication and not wondering what was happening at all times.

If you need further information on my... very scrambly post just PM me. I cant be bothered to proof this as I just don't have the time or energy.

The week was interesting... and Terry's Big Adventure in TJ is over!
May the next adventure of soft foods begin... yah!

Ciao... and a sincere "thank you ladies"... ALL of you!

and before I sign off... a very special thanks to the lady in my life, Kathleen, for her support, love and her compassion. I did this for the both of us as I want to spend many... many more healthy years together!!!

jenni80
on 4/14/10 11:02 am
Thanks for the update and honesty of your experience.  Its good to know.

Jeanette  

PeanutFreeMom
on 4/14/10 12:45 pm - Canada
Welcome to the loser's bench!  I'm glad you made it back ok.
HW: 225  |  SW: 198  |  CW: 123 | Height: 5' 7.5"  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!

13 lbs below goal :)
Boscogirl
on 4/14/10 12:52 pm - TX
I'm happy to see you post Terry!  Hang in there...you will be feeling great soon!
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
smile007
on 4/14/10 12:55 pm - Fayetteville, NC
I am happy you made it home safely. Thanks for your honesty
ishary
on 4/14/10 2:01 pm - Whittier, CA
Your weariness comes through in your posting.
I hope you get to feeling rested and better more like yourself really soon.
I think I stayed wea****il the day my stitches came out.
I will say a prayer for you - Just take it easy each day will get stronger.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

bigisbad
on 4/14/10 2:22 pm - Canada, Canada
I thank you all... now get the hell over and make room on that bench!

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/10 4:07 pm
 Howdy Buckaroo!

Glad to hear you're back! How are you feeling? I hope all is well.

Hang on for that initial weight loss  -- it's one heck of a ride that I think you'll enjoy.

Take care for now,
Cheryl
Eme 2009
on 4/14/10 10:50 pm - FL
Glad to see you back and posting.  You should come over to the VSG Forum---you'll find lots of useful information for post-op life. 

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

lolalucy
on 4/14/10 11:50 pm
 *scoots over*  Here is a spot for ya right here!!  Glad you made it back ok and hang in there you will feel like a better more energetic version of your old self in NO TIME>
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 428 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 619 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1205 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1832 views