Thinking about going with Dr.Almanza

Belize1982
on 4/12/10 9:45 am
I'm thinking of going with Dr Almanza, primarily because of his low cost of $4500.

However, am I trading cost for value? Is the proce so low because he's using old equipment like the older versions of the lap band. If he is, what effect does that have? How are the older versus newer line bands different?

Just a thought....
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/10 10:03 am
Hmmm...your first post? how exciting for you...

When you contacted the surgery site, to whom did you speak? What answers did s/he give you?

Your best bet is to start there. Then you can make the decision of whether you believe them or not, given what they tell you.

Also, to get volume information, quickly, and from a variety of people who have actual experience, it would be a good idea to put each of your potential surgeons' names in the OH search engine.

Then I would research more!

Hope this helps!

Good luck with starting your research.
Emily F.
on 4/12/10 1:54 pm
Read all the posts regarding this surgery center and then make a decision on if price is worth the risks. You deserve all the information.
jenni80
on 4/12/10 5:05 pm
Im going, June 17th and I cant wait!!!

Jeanette  

Boscogirl
on 4/13/10 12:40 am - TX
I had a GREAT experience there just 4 weeks ago!!  Not a sinlge complication and I am doing fabulously...down 26 pounds already!   You can read all about it if you click the "Latest Posts" under my pic.  All the best to you in whatever you decide.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Boscogirl
on 4/13/10 12:42 am - TX
I forgot to say also that if I were you I would heavily research Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.  I started out thinking I wanted the band...quickly found out I did not....too many people with complications and MANY are revising to the VSG.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
FWLizzie
on 4/13/10 7:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
I just made it back from Dr Almanza and I feel great! Had my surgery Friday night, got home yesterday and went back to work today.

I don't believe the price has anything to do with the quality of work you get. I've had surgery in the U.S. before and never got the care I received from Dr Almanza and his staff.

I also started out thinking about lap band and once I started researching it, decided the sleeve was a better choice for me.

The best advice I can give you is to make your own decision and do not let anyone try to talk you out it, regardless of who you decide for a surgeon. Sometimes when you ask a simple question, it can lead to drama so dont let any of that keep you from making the right decision. Is your body, your money so it should also be your decision.

Good luck to you,

Liz

ishary
on 4/13/10 8:40 am - Whittier, CA
http://WASaBubbleButt.blogspot.com
Please visit the blog spot above of MidwesternGirl.
I think you will find a wealth of information there as its written by a nurse  with the Newbie in mind.
I also wanted to give you a heads up/warning that you are going to notice there is a LOT of animosity and bickering amongst the members on this site with regards to Surgeons and Facilities. Please try and overlook the nastiness.
I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing from you which ever procedure or surgeon you choose.
Being sleeved has been a blessing for me!!

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

lolalucy
on 4/13/10 10:04 am
 I went through Medical Tourism and had my surgery with Dr. Almanza in January!  My experience was great.  They took care of me from the time my plane landed until they dropped me up at the airport.  I have so far lost 57 pounds since then and am doing wonderful.  I would not hesitate to send any of my friends or family to him.  In fact my 23 year old son is hoping to have surgery later in the year with him.  You are welcome to contact me for any questions regarding my experience.
hollykim
on 4/13/10 1:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I was very pleased with the care I received at Dr. almanza center. i can't speak to the "older version" of the bands,as I didn't get one,but I can speak to the up to date equipment I saw in the OR and everywhere in the center.

I would imagine the "older lines of bands" were not even available from the manufacturer any longer,wouldn't you?

I have never thought more expensive equalled better and I don't think it does in this case. I feel more like the other surgeons are overcharging because they can,and for services the average patiernt doesn't need.

Good luck on you decision making and hey,don't be a stranger since this is your first post and no profile. We would love to know more about you as you make your journey

Hollyy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views