Protein drinks

Brandy K.
on 3/30/10 5:33 am - Garland, TX
My surgeon just sent me my pre-op liquid diet. It consists of everything you'd expect it to: water, lemonade with splenda, soups, broths, light yogurt, skim milk, etc. and is split into a full liquid phase (five days) and a clear liquid phase (five days).

He's given me a list of protein drinks to choose from. It says I can only choose one. The options are:

Isopure
Optimum Nutrition
Advantage Edge
Revival
Profect
Perfect Star****er
Protein Water
Six Star

Do any of you have experience with any of these? I've heard good things about Isopure, but it's the highest of the carbs on the list and I have to keep the carbs under 50 grams a day. I don't know much about the others.

My surgery angel (Stephanie) and I are planning an outing this weekend to a protein shop that allows you to try samples. Hopefully they'll have some of these.

Margo N.
on 3/31/10 8:02 am
Lots of people hate the Isopure - but I was fine with it - and also used it post-op during my clear diet phase.

Good idea to tast before you buy - and keep in mind that your tastes may change after your surgery - so don't stock up TOO much!

Good Luck!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Brandy K.
on 3/31/10 11:49 am - Garland, TX
Thanks! My only concern about the Isopure is that it has 25 grams of carbs for every 50 grams of protein. He wants me to get in 60-70 grams of protein a day while staying under 50 grams of carbs. I still need to figure out how to make that happen.

There is one called Profect that has 25 grams of protein and no fat and no carbs. But they're tiny portions. Something like 2.5 ounces. Which will be wonderful AFTER surgery. I'm just afraid of being so hungry that I'll eat my arms off in my sleep.

Margo N.
on 3/31/10 12:35 pm
The Profect are protein shots - they are a collegen protein and much lower quality than drinks with Whey Protein Isolate.

Optimum Nutrition might be a good one (24g protein / 3g carb).  Isopure does make a zero carb ready to drink with 15g protein per small (6-8 oz bottle).Also the Isopure powder is available low-carb - check at http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Best-Isopure-Vanilla-powder/dp /B000JX0X9Q

Good luck!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Brandy K.
on 3/31/10 12:51 pm - Garland, TX
Oooh, I didn't know that about the collegen protein. Hmm... good think I have until the 25th to figure out which one to get!

Thanks!!

Larissa P.
on 4/2/10 3:07 am - Denton, TX
You know, I really like this inexpensive brand I found at Walmart:

Body Fortress Super Advantage Whey Protein

Comes in many different flavors and is low-carb. The reviews online are excellent, too.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
jbkb0412
on 4/3/10 11:54 am - Zeeland, MI

my husband and I also use the body fortress one from walmart, the taste is good and they have different flavors, mine is the chocolate I use 1/2% milk put it in a shaker cup and put it in the freezer for about 1/2 hour to 45 min. it gets a little slushy and goes down like a milk shake.  My husband likes the strawberry flavor, olny $15.00 normally but have been on sale for as low as $12.00.  Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views