OT Complications

carlsongang
on 3/30/10 3:01 am - Clackamas, OR

I have been doing really well with my weight loss. I am down 39 pounds in 9 weeks. I have lost a total of 2.5 inches. I went for a fill but because I can only hold 2-3 ounces in my stomach, I did not need one. (I have a 10cc band.)

I have had some complications with everything. When I got home from Mexico, I got my first infection. It was a small staph infection at my port site. Antibiotics cleared it up. Two weeks later another staph infection, it started at the port site and spread to underneath my breasts. Again, antibiotics and steroids this time and it cleared up. At the beginning of March another infection, this time it started on the right side of my abdomen and spread to the port site, more antibiotics and steroids to clear it up. Sunday another infection started at the port site, spread from under my breasts, down my abdomen, in my belly button, and then down to my groin area. Again more antibiotics, steroids, pain meds (it is extremely painful), and drainage tubes to help drain the infection. If the antibiotics do not work, I will have to go in for IV antibiotics.

I constantly cry because of the pain and smell that comes from the infection. I have missed a lot of work and have fallen behind in school (working on my Bachelor’s Degree) and to be honest have become very depressed. I have had one doctor tell me my body is rejecting the band. Another has told me it was something that happened during surgery, and another one says I need more vitamins.

I am only eating what does not upset my stomach. I am taking daily vitamins, cut back on my sugar, have been tested for diabetes, eat yogurt, and still I get these damn infections. I have called the doctor in Mexico and he says just to come back and have the band removed. I am at my wits end here. Oh and to add the cherry to my cake, when I tried to register my band with Lap-Band®, they said my number does not exist.

Any thoughts on any of this……..

funnursechick
on 3/30/10 3:32 am - MS
I am so sorry that you are having these problems. One thing I noticed though is that you said that your body is rejecting the band. That may be true, your body may be rejecting the band, but that would not explain the Staph infections. I am wondering if you are not just having one continuous infection that is not completely healing up, just being masked by the antibiotics, then flares up again when you stop the antibiotics. I am sure you already know but use good handwashing, wash your towels after each use, and was your clothes each use. Staph can spread like wildfire and is often hard to get rid of once it activates in your system. I will pray for you for resolution to this.
As far as the registration number not panning out, not sure what to tell you. Each band has its own serial number and if it is a true band should be easy to register and track down.

Elisa H.

carlsongang
on 3/30/10 4:38 am - Clackamas, OR
The doctors have also questioned the continuing factor. The problem is there is time in between infections. I do take all precautions when it comes to bedding, towels, and clothing. I also use HibiClens when it comes to showering. That was what the doctor told me to use. 
hollykim
on 3/31/10 7:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I am also sorry you are having trouble. I don't know if it would halp at all,but try some probiotics like Culturelle.   Having losts of antibiotics kills off the good bacteria and there may not be anything in your system to fight the staph bacteria effectively.

Good luck and I do hope you get better.
Holly

Boscogirl
on 3/30/10 4:45 am, edited 3/30/10 4:46 am - TX
Hi there!

I don't have answers to any of your questions but I just wanted to say I'm very sorry you have all these problems.  I hope you can get to the bottom of everything soon and get the relief you need.  Hang in there Sweetie and congrats on losing 39 pounds already...that is awesome!! 
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
LadySTX
on 3/30/10 5:26 am
The lapband is a foreign and if your doctors are right that your body is rejecting it, a possible solution might be to get REVISED to a sleeve.  You would not be the first.  I hope you can discuss this with your doctors or others who have been this path.  I am one of them.  Not due to infection, but  do to not losing with the band.  It was just too difficult for me to find the right FILL amount and eating was either too much or if tight enough, too little and PB'g.  It all got too complicated for me and I never wanted to eat out in public as I did not know what might happen.  I am having better results now and feel well.   I know there was another lady who came to Dr. Almanzo for help with her infection at the site of the fill box (forget what you call that) and he did a Revision for her and gave her an chance at finally beating that infection merry go round.  Good luck to you in getting a solution.

PeanutFreeMom
on 3/30/10 8:27 am - Canada
Hi Sweetie,
I am so sorry you are going through all of this. My heart goes out to you.

Who was your coordinator?  Were you able to get ahold of them?
What advice did your coordinator give you?  Have you contacted your coordinator about the lack of a serial number for your band yet? What did they say?

I am happy to try to help you through this.
Hugs,
Mel

HW: 225  |  SW: 198  |  CW: 123 | Height: 5' 7.5"  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!

13 lbs below goal :)
carlsongang
on 3/30/10 8:38 am - Clackamas, OR
I tried to contact Sandy. Mostly got voice-mail or answering machine. Then I got a call from Melissa, she said she would explain everything to Dr. Benacourt and let me know. She called me back and said to come back and they would remove my band for either $600 or $800. They wanted me to come back immediately. After paying out the original money I cannot afford it right now. I was never given an answer from them about my band serial number.

Thanks for all the support from EVERYONE!

PeanutFreeMom
on 3/30/10 10:01 am - Canada
OMG...  You poor thing.  Feel free to PM me anytime. 
xo
Mel
HW: 225  |  SW: 198  |  CW: 123 | Height: 5' 7.5"  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!

13 lbs below goal :)
TeacherToni
on 4/1/10 6:47 am
I am curious about the band's serial number. Are all bands assigned a serial number and regulated by a governing body?
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views