Important Post re: Dr. Almanza on VSG board

Margo N.
on 3/25/10 6:44 am
Please see PeanutfreeMom's post in this thread:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4144569/Really-freaked -out-Thoughts-re-Dr-Amanza/

(And yep - I know my decision to posting this will stir things up a bit - I think it's important anyway for those researching surgeons in Mexico)
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Emily F.
on 3/25/10 9:55 am
That's some scary stuff!
Larissa P.
on 3/25/10 11:30 am - Denton, TX
Thanks for the post - I think the doctor needs to see it, geesh.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
FWLizzie
on 3/26/10 12:02 am - Fort Worth, TX
If you had your surgery with another surgeon, why the need to bash a Doctor you have no direct experience with?  I'm glad you had a great experience with your surgeon but as prospect patients of Dr Almanza, I don't see how this helps...in fact it only adds to all the other normal concerns and worries about going through the surgery.

Just saying....

Larissa P.
on 3/26/10 12:42 am - Denton, TX
Was that to me, because I didn't bash anyone...?

FWLizzie
on 3/26/10 12:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
Oh no Larissa

I was referring to people that already had surgery and with a different doctor.  I just really have a concern with their intentions.  I understand we all choose our own surgeons and can become great advocates but for some reason, if you don't choose the same one, they make you feel like you made the wrong decision. I've received messages from patients who went to different surgeons trying to talk me out of it.

I would never speak or post something that I have no first hand knowledge of...if I wasn't there, I can't speak or offer suggestions, ideas...

As you can imagine, you and I have not had our surgeries yet and we're still dealing with all kind of emotions...we don't need anyone else adding to them.

I don't in any way mean to start anything on this forum. I've had a great experience since signing up but PLEASE if you were not there...do not instigate!!

Larissa P.
on 3/28/10 8:08 am - Denton, TX
My doctor has a few of his retractors too.

But I feel that all sides, the good, the bad, the ugly are valid ones and should be shared openly to let new potential patients weigh their own decisions.

I agree, however, that we need the stories directly from their source - the patients - and not spread rumors or play a game of he said - she said.

Boscogirl
on 3/26/10 2:02 am - TX
Hi Margo!

I do not question your intentions but I feel compelled to post MY EXPERIENCE with Dr. Almanza so that people do not get one sided information.  And yes, the things in those two posts are in fact very scary but they were not my experience at all.   I am certainly not trying to push my choice of surgeon on anyone...there are many greats ones to choose from....I simply want people to know that my experience was absolutely nothing but great in every way.  I am pasting part of a private message that I sent someone earlier today which sums it up.  In NO way am I accusing anyone of lying I am just saying that for ME, personally, many things do not add up therefore causing some doubts in my mind.  I hope you can all understand this.  Thanks!

Kimberly

exerpt from pm:

I hate this stuff.  I don't have time for it but it bothers me so much that I could hardly sleep last night.  The things that I do know are facts and are true for sure are my own experiences with the clinic and Dr. Almanza and Dr. Betancourt.  Dr. A is absolutely gorgeous and there is something about him...like he has this swagger about him...I kind of got a crush on him immediately (lol).  I believe he is an excellent surgeon based on how I am feeling and because everything went perfectly for me...I didn't see him in action since I was out. lol   Dr. B is a very outgoing and charismatic man that you will absolutely fall in love with.  He came and sat on the foot of my bed and rubbed my legs after surgery and was being funny and silly.  He kept telling me I was sooooo beautiful and then he said, "But don't worry...I am gay."  It cracked me up and then he went on to say how handsome my husband is (should I worry now? lol) and said he looks like a country music singer and asked if he was one.   He was just really funny and personable and it was very comforting.  I just cannot believe that he is this money hungry "butcher" who puts his patients in danger.  All this "slice em and dice em" stuff...I'm just not buying it.  He stands to make waaaaayyyy more money (which he should....he is in the business of making money just like every other bariatric surgeon in the world is) by taking excellent care of his clients rather than cutting them up and leaving them with problems.  It is very obvious to me why he charges less.  For one, he owns the place...it is a surgery center not a full on hospital which would certainly cost more.  You typically only stay there for 1 night.  With most of the other Mexican docs you stay in a full on hospital for 3 nights...this will obviously cost more.  So....if you factor those two things in then he is really NOT so much cheaper than the other docs and I don't understand why people don't see this.  I knew that under normal cir****tances that 1 night was enough because if I had the surgery here is Texas it would only be an overnight stay.  Most surgeries nowadays are done on an outpatient basis anyway so I think that 3 nights in a hospital is overkill and I didn't want to pay for it.  But... if it makes people feel more secure then they should go to one of those doctors and pay more to stay in the hospital the whole time...I totally understand that but so many people talk trash about Dr. Almanza simply because they think he is "too cheap" and "you get what you pay for" ......it's ridiculous!

The whole experience was NOTHING like what the two threads (and a few previous other ones) have portrayed them to be. The clinic and the house were immaculately spotless and I mean SPOTLESS!!  In fact, they were so clean that the smell was actually too strong for me and kind of gave me a headache.  There was literally someone cleaning at both places all day long.  No one at any time EVER touched me without putting on fresh gloves...I watched them do it.  I had lab work done at a lab when we first got there and then later they brought over the report and let us look at it.  A different doctor came in and gave me an EKG before they ever got me ready for surgery. There were only 4 surgeries done the day of mine and only 2 the following day.  They give everyone 3 leak tests, the last one being at a radiologist's clinic (not their's) and send you home with a xray of your tummy.  NEVER at anytime...not even for a second, did I feel scared or that I was putting my life in any kind of danger. 

Everyone there was so kind and they waited on us hand and food the entire time...basically we were treated like royalty.  They will even do your laundry if you like so you don't go home with a bag full of laundry to do.  Once they pick you up at the airport you never touch your bags again until they drop you back off at the airport 4 days later.  The shopping was fun.  Meeting and visiting with the other patients and their families was so fun and very interesting.  Our driver took my husband and some of the other patient's family members out to get food several times at some of the local food stands that he knew were good and my husband had some of the best food he'd ever eaten.  He completely enjoyed the trip and it was a vacation for him...me not so much. lol 

So...all of this is to say that my experience, and that of MANY others, just does not match up with the horror stories so I cannot buy into it all.  If all this had come up two weeks ago I know I would have been freaked out but I "think" I would have stuck to my plan based on the FIRSTHAND experiences that I have no doubts about....not ones that in my mind are at the very least, questionable.  In fact, I am hoping my sister will want to have the surgery after she sees my results and unless some klnd of hard proof convinces me that these things are in fact true, I will take her to Dr. Almanza without hesitation. 
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
hollykim
on 3/28/10 1:09 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
My experience almost exactly mirrors Boscogirl's experience.
Holly

Margo N.
on 3/26/10 2:35 am
Hey y'all

I do recognize that different people have different experiences and also that posting this at all is instigating...

However, the story in the linked post is from somebody I trust, who was reluctant to even post as she, like me, avoids the surgeon wars, and she describes some serious problems with clinical practice which could represent a danger of significant harm to patients.

My actual view is that for MOST people, the experience will be/has been positive and they will be fine; however, it does appear that for SOME people, the complications that ensue are quite serious. While this is a risk anytime someone has surgery, I happen to agree with the poster that the complication rate from this clinic seems higher than expected, even with a higher volume of surgeries. (Possibly BECAUSE of the higher volume of surgeries.)

For all of us making a decision to have surgery, whether in Mexico or elsewhere, we have to balance risk with benefits - we all know the benefits of the surgery and the risks associated with this surgery as well as those inherent to any surgical procedure. Dr Almanza offers a personalized patient experience at a reasonable cost, which understandably appeals to many potential patients - however, it appears that this benefit may be associated with some risk - as oulined by peanutfreemom in her post. People making the decision to have this procedure need to hear the good and the bad so that they can deternine what they are comfortable with.

I posted because I do care about my fellow OH sleevers, and believe that those considering this doc need to read about concerns in addition to the many positive testimonials. Also, the fact that a doc is charming, handsome, kind, whatever, doesn't have much to do with either surgical skill or with clinical practice; while reassuring, these personalilty traits have very little impact on health outcomes!

Best wishes to all  - no matter what procedure you choose, what country you choose, what doc you choose!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views