I don't have health insurance and was wondering if I should

FWLizzie
on 3/23/10 2:27 am - Fort Worth, TX
spend my money in going to a Dr and ordering blood work to see where my levels are?

For those who went to Dr Almanza...does he run cholesterol, vitamins and all sorts of blood work so you can then compare in a few months where you are? You know, just for reference.

Also, I had been reading a lot of posts regarding vitamins and made a note on my cell phone but then yesterday, my cell phone froze and Sprint had to do a hard reset, therefore all my information was deleted.

I've bought the Calcium Citrate plus, the Solotron multivitamin, the biotin 600 and the B-12 1000

Is there anythying else that I need to buy and can you tell me how much I'm supposed to take of these vitamins.

I have learned so much from this forum but the closer my surgery date gets, the more questions I have.

Thank you for your help!

Liz

Eme 2009
on 3/23/10 4:34 am - FL
Dr. Almanza will not be doing any pre-op bloodwork to check cholesterol or vitamin levels.  I had mine done using my insurance about 1 month before surgery.  If you get the whole gamut of tests, it can be quite expensive....so spending that money would be up to you. 

Some times local health fairs or churches offer a cholesterol screening so you could get some information from them.  I didn't have any vitamin levels checked; only cholesterol, thyroid, etc.  I wasn't worried about where they were pre-op as much as I will be concerned with where they are post-op.

I take a multi-vitamin (Centrum), B12 and Calcium Citrate + D  I take the recommended dose on the bottle.  One thing I know is that the calcium needs to be taken at least 2 hours apart from the multi because of the iron in the multi.

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

FWLizzie
on 3/23/10 4:39 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thank you!

I called my Dr and he said it would cost close to $300.00 which is money I do not have. I will just wait and have post-op levels checked instead...it makes more sense in my case.

I bought my vitamins today but I didn't buy the chewable kind. I guess I need to buy at least a month supply of them, right?

Thank you for your response...does everyone have as many questions as I do? I feel bad asking and asking so please forgive me if I'm coming across as annoying! :)

hollykim
on 3/23/10 8:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Also,read on the VSG board. There are posts daily about vitamins. You won't even have to start a new thread. Just start scrolling back,there are dozens,LOL>
h

Eme 2009
on 3/23/10 12:44 pm - FL
A chewable vitamin and sublingual B12 will be helpful early on but a lot of people can take pills (you'll have to take your antibiotic in pill form).  I started with the chewables and as soon as I bought another bottle of them, the flavor started to turn my stomach :)  ha!  Don't buy anything in bulk!

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

Emily F.
on 3/23/10 8:43 am
vitalady.com has a list of vitamins for each surgery, I don't have a link but I bet if you ask on the main board someone can post it.
FWLizzie
on 3/23/10 11:54 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thank you ladies!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?