Dr Jose Rodriguez questions

kelly B.
on 3/16/10 5:54 am - NC
I think I have made my final decision about my VSG surgeon, but had a few questions about Dr Jose Rodriguez in Juarez. Hope you can help.

If you had a companion, how were the accommodations in the room for him/her? My mother would like to go with me and has a bad back. I do not want to be worried about her hurting herself if she were to accompany me.

Also, I have been talking with Joanne at Belite. She has been very informative, friendly, and has had quick responses. Did you all schedule through her? Although she is great, if I can avoid a fee for using her services then I would prefer that. Every penny counts for me.

Did Dr Rod give you any information on bougie size used?

Thanks! I will post this on the VSG board as well.
Starting Weight 340. I am 5'7"
Goal 1: VSG by April 2010 -
(scheduled for April 28 2010)
Goal 2: Lose 10% of Total Body Weight -
(May 17, 2010)
Goal 3: Lose 50 pounds-
(June 10, 2010)
Goal 4: Lose 50% of Excess Weight (Aug 10, 2010)
Goal 5: Lose 100 pounds (Oct 7, 2010)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goal 6: BMI of 29
fundy
on 3/16/10 3:35 pm
Hi Kelly....I had Dr. Rod the end of October and he was wonderful; so was his whole staff - you will love love love them all.  Very professional and great Drs and Nurses.  The companion bed in the room was very comfortable for my hubby who never complained.  Also, downstains in the hospital cafe one of the chefs/waiters  named Edger catered to my hubby like crazy and always fixed him great food for any meal that he wanted, and spoke great English.  Be sure and have her ask if he still is working there.    It's the cafe to the left side when you first enter the hospital.  I had Sylvia from Belite and she was great;  All these people helping  with questions and information makes this very smooth and professional.  The hospital (Star Medica) was spotless and they clean it 24/7 and the ladies come and have you sign to verify that they had cleaned your room.  American TV channels - your Mom will be very comfortable.  Beautiful, beautiful place.  The shuttle driver (cannot remember his name) was great also - Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Dr. Rod is the best!   It has been only 4 months for me now and I lost 50# - it is coming off slow - but coming off.  Just the way I would have preferred it.  Best of luck!!!!!
You will not be disappointed.  BTW - what is a bougie size?
kelly B.
on 3/16/10 11:18 pm - NC
Thank you so much Fundy. It really helps to know that my mom will be comfortable. I dont think I could handle the anxiety of the surgery and her sleeping on the floor... lol

The bougie is the form used to create the sleeve, and the size relates to the size your stomach/sleeve will ultimately become.
(May 17, 2010)
(June 10, 2010)
MS.LISA
on 10/7/10 11:04 am - Salem, OR
HI THERE I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW YOUR WEIGHT LOSS IS GOING? DID YOU HAVE A LOT TO LOOSE?
I AM GOING TO DR ROD IN NOVEMBER AND AM VERY NERVOUS
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
LISA
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/10 1:33 pm

I used Dr. Rodriguez, though I went alone so I'm not sure how comfy the couch was, but it didnt look too terrible.
There isnt anything I would change about my experience. 
I believe my Bougie was 32F, or something of that nature, I'd have to go look at my paperwork.
I used BeliteWeight, but my representative was Jessica.
Please let me know if you ahve any questions.
Dawn

Stacey T.
on 4/5/10 12:40 am
hi kelly
I'm havng surgery with dr rod on the 21st of april.  looks like we will just miss each other.   will be in TJ at hospital INS.  Is that where you are going?  I'm looking for info on boards for the hospital and dr as well and haven't found a lot.  I go before you so I'll give you a breakdown of my experince.
Stacey
kelly B.
on 4/5/10 5:56 am, edited 4/5/10 5:56 am - NC
No, I chose to have surgery in Juarez because I live on the east coast. Just seemed that the shorter travel time would be appreciated after surgery. I am soooo excited I can hardly stand it. Since, I never really considered the facility in TJ, I dont have anything to share with you about that. But, I have been researching Dr Rod out the wazoo and have yet to find a negtive word spoken about him. Things are falling into place so I really think this was meant to be.
(May 17, 2010)
(June 10, 2010)
Stacey T.
on 4/5/10 7:28 am
AAhhh....I hear the Juarez hospital is more modern and bigger.  TJ hospital is small but a hospital no less.  I'm sure the surgery skills are the same no matter where. I've been afraid to ask about him on the boards because it tends to start a lot of drama.... but I'm feeling confident he's the right choice for me.  I'll e-mail after the surgery and give you the low down.   I am also really scared but super excited too.  It's so hard to wait..... I just want it to get here already.

Stacey
kelly B.
on 4/5/10 9:37 am - NC
yes, it is the same surgeon. i THINK... and I only THINK this because i havent verified with belight and just figured it out today. But I think Dr Rod used to work with Dr Alvarez in Piedras Negra. I will send an email to Belight tomorrow to see if that is true.

dont be afraid to ask about Dr Rod on the VSG board. I have and have gotten nothing but positive feedback. i, like you, feel like this is the right choice for me but it slways to hear good things. who is your coordinator. i have been working with Joanne, and she has been really helpful.

have you gotten any correspondance about the hospital in TJ since the earthquake this weekend? i wondered if everything is ok. i am sure they will have everything going smoothly by the time you get there anyway. just curious.
(May 17, 2010)
(June 10, 2010)
Stacey T.
on 4/5/10 9:48 am
yea, my dr rod says his practice is in juarez but he travels to tj. 
From what I can figure reading the threads they felt it a bit in Mexicali but no one injured.  Things should be squared away by the time we arrive. 
Joanne is my coordinator too.  She is very helpful and reassuring.  I'm looking forward to meeting her.  
it seems I find a new thing to freak out about every day (I just need to do it already).  Today I read a thread where a man said his wife had the surgery on 07 and is gaining her weight back.  She eats like a bird and exercises all the time.   I understand you will gain weight back if you don't eat right, but I hate to think of gaining it back whiledoing everything correct.  There's no real long term research out there.  I guess we take out chances. 

take care
stacey
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views