Mexico crime

bigisbad
on 2/28/10 1:23 am - Canada, Canada
On February 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
Ditto to the other two posts. I just got home from VSG with Dr. almanza on wed the 24. We were taken care of every step of the way.

My advice to you is step away from the family and focus on yourself. You will not be sorry.
Good luck,

Holly
Hope your doing well!!!!!
Terry
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/10 1:42 pm
Please tell your brother that it is not a scam because the price difference is so different.  The price is what it is because the Doctor OWNS the medical center and does not have to RENT space in a mecical facility or hospital.  Also, the doctor owns the recovery house as well.  And tell your brother that when I called around to other doctors in Mexico and asked them why they were charging $6250 when Almanza was charging way less, these other facilitators started to make up stories telling me Almanza used an inferior staple to close the new stomach after surgery.  I was also told the staple gun was shared instead of being steralized after each patient.   ALL LIES!!   OMG the things people will tell you to scare the **** out of you to try and earn your business!!!

I was initially leary about this doctor and the whole thing because there was such a difference in price.  I asked my facilitator tons of questions before I went down there.  My mother was so impressed with the info I had gathered that she, too booked a revision surgery with Dr. Almanza!  My mom had her lapband out and was sleeved one day after me.(  I won't tell you my mom's age cause she would 'bean' me....  but I am 49 years old. )

My mom went to Mexico years ago for her lapband.  She went to a reknowned doctor who today charges $7,000 to put in a lapband in a very fancy hospital.  Initially I was going to do this same thing.  But, it seems every person I questioned about the lapband had or knows of someone who had problems with the band.  I chose the sleeve because I didn't want these problems.  And, I got what I think is a better weight-loss tool without any maintenance needed! (the fills for the lapband) And, for a lot cheaper!!

About the 'stealing of organs'......  I live in Las Vegas.  About 14-15 years ago these crazy stories were circulating about tourists  who were found waking up  in their hotel bathtubs in cold water and ice cubes with a stitched up abdomen because they had been drugged and a kidney was stolen.  Well, my then baby was born with one kidney and these stories REALLY FREAKED ME OUT! 
All untrue!!   All folklore.  Just stupid stupid rumors.  Kinda like old wives-tales. 

I was a little concerned about the crime in TJ, Mexico before I went down. At no time were my mom and I ever left unattended or unaccompanied.  NEVER.  Everything is really secure.  I did see a police truck driving by with some armed police officers in the back of the truck.  Now this was different!  But, that was the extent of seeing anything crime-related.

If I had to do it all over again I would in the blink of an eye!   I think if you read what 99% of the other folks on here have to say about being sleeved by Dr. Almanza you will see that they, too would do it all over again.

I hope this helps you.  If you have any questions about my experience or anything shoot me a message and I will do my best to help! 

All my best,
Janet

PatDorsey
on 3/2/10 1:46 am - Berea
you may want to go on "the world according to eggface" internet site - she went to Mexico for her surgery and was very successful  -  just type in www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

4swartz
on 3/2/10 7:26 am - Long Beach, CA
Hi Maggie,

I spoke to a family member who works in a federal agency in San Diego.  We spoke about the safety in Mexico and he said there is no problem with the area. That made my husband and myself feel so much safer. With the work he does, he would would know.

So please feel secure and excited for you visit. Good luck, I cannot wait for my time to shine!

pattycake
on 3/7/10 12:35 pm - macon, GA
GOOD FOR YOU.  I DID THE SAME THING.  TOLD SOME PEOPLE AND THEY TRIED TO TEAR IT DOWN... THEN I JUST SHUT MY MOUTH AND TOLD EVERYONE AFTER IT WAS OVER.  YOUR FAMILY LOVES YOU- THEY ARE SAYING THOSE THINGS OUTOF LOVE,  ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT U NEED TO DO FOR YOURSELF.  IT IS TRUE, YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL, BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE GOING SOUTH OF THE BORDER FOR THIS REASON.  OUR COUNTRY'S HEALTHCARE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE OBESE... WE HAVE TO DO WHAT WE HAVE TO DO.  ... I JUST HAD TO VENT.  BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.  BE BLESSED.
Mike P.
on 3/8/10 1:07 am - Crivitz, WI
I have been hearing all the same things, from my family

I am going the end of the March, scheduled for surgery April fools day.
I am doing it alone, my wife, and kids think Mexico is a bad Idea (you dont need the surgery (Sleeve) you can do it on your own) this from 3 smokers that cant quit. the total lack of support really sucks, but I am not doing it for anyone but myself

I gave the same response to the what if you die question.

Mike in Wisconsin
mrios1029
on 3/8/10 1:38 am - Cleveland, OH
VSG on 12/03/12
Hi Mike,

Who's your doctor?  I wish you the best.....
Mike P.
on 3/8/10 2:34 am - Crivitz, WI
Dr Almanza,

mrios1029
on 3/8/10 9:00 am - Cleveland, OH
VSG on 12/03/12
HI MIke,

You'll find a lot of support here on OH. I have gotten a lot of support and great info here. I will let you know how everything goes.  I'm leaving the 18th to San Diego. 

Take care
Maggie
FabBy50 .
on 3/10/10 7:10 am - Everett, WA
On February 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM Pacific Time, mrios1029 wrote:
Ok,

I just scheduled my surgery for March 17 with Dr. Almanza.  I have told my family ( I think a big mistake).  All they have told me is how people are killed in Mexico, organs are removed and sold... crime...etc.... I know my family cares, but I just think, they should be motivating me instead of trying to scare me so I don't go ahead with it, especially in Mexico.  My brother says, what if it's a scam.  Why so cheap... OMG just shut up and wish me the best!  I have decided not to tell my husband's family yet... I'll tell them after I come back.  My daughter says, what if you die.....what i'm I going to do?  I told her, I had a bigger chance of dying from being FAT than dying having this surgery.... I  just needed to vent. 

Maggie
Maggie

First of all congrats on your decision to improve your life!! And second, I think a lot of us made the mistake of telling family and friends and then had to listen to their "fear". I heard everything from OMG you will die there to you will be shot!! LOL  I have been to Dr. Almanza twice (lap band-revision to sleeve) I have no problem telling you he is awesome!!  You will do just fine, the risks from obesity far outweigh the risks of going to Tijuana!

Good luck and keep us posted, Tell Dr Almanza hi!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views