Dr. Almanza here I come! : March 17

mrios1029
on 2/25/10 12:59 am - Cleveland, OH
VSG on 12/03/12
Hello OH friends,

I'll be going to Mexico on March 16 to have surgery on March 17 with Dr. Almanza.  Any recommendation on things I should bring or not bring?  Anyone else there at that time?

Maggie
mom.of.6
on 2/26/10 12:00 pm
Gas-ex strips! They saved me! Good luck
Sharonjean63
on 2/28/10 2:48 am - Hamilton, TX
What helped you make your decision to use Dr Almanza at a clinic

Sharon
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/10 5:30 am
Baby wipes.  It took me a while to get over the anestesia and I was quite sick post op.  It was nice to have the wipes on hand to wipe my mouth.

Warm socks.  Hospital socks.  Comfy pj's and robe.

I packed a couple of bottles of water so when I was in the recovery house I had the bottle right there with me.  I took the  crystal light in the single servings.

Small bills to tip the driver who picks you up at the airport. (Tony)  He goes above and beyond.  Also I was comfortable tipping the staff at the Recovery House.  They deserved every cent of it..!  (No need to exchange money.  Dollars are accepted everywhere.)

There is a ton of info and suggestions on the other boards:
VSG surgery board. 

Good Luck!!
mrios1029
on 2/28/10 7:55 am - Cleveland, OH
VSG on 12/03/12
Hello Jeminnv,  I haven't travelled in a long time... can you give me an idea on tipping all these people?
bigisbad
on 2/28/10 8:45 am - Canada, Canada
Im open for tips... cash that is  ;)
Terry
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/10 7:20 am
I am so not the tipping expert.......  but, I gave the driver $10 on the way down to the clinic and again on the way back.  (This was for two of us....  Tony lifted all the suitcases and was incredibly helpful when we stopped at a pharmacy on our return to the states.)

For the recovery staff..  this was a little tricky becasue the staff changed bunches while I was down there.  So perhaps $5 for the really helpful attendants?  (plan on 3)  Heck, one attendants son was there on the weekend.  Angel.  I think he was 12 years old.  He was a great translator and helped me figure out the remote controls to work the tv in our bedroom.  (there were 4 remotes!  OMG...  I couldn't figure it out!! LOL)   I tipped him, too!  Great kid.......

Tipping is so not necessary.  But I know from folks that the salaries of Mexican employees is so much lower than what we would think it should be.  And eveyone I encountered worked so hard that I personally felt it necessary to "Thank" them in the form of a TIP  for their attentativeness to us while we were down there.

Geez, I hope this helps.....

PS...  At the San Diego Airport my mom and I each did curb-side check in with Southwest airlines.  The wheelchairs were right there.  We both used the wheel chairs.   I gave the attendants who pushed us all the way through to the gates $4 each.  (perhaps it should have been more, IDK??) I guess it really  boils down to what you can afford and what you are comfortable with.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views