Pre op Questions... Am i missing the big Picture?

sher1019
on 2/22/10 5:19 am - Katy, TX
Keep in mind I am having the Sleeve in 2 days in TJ.

I am reading all these posts about having to have a pre-op appt with my PCP.. and all these tests that need to be run. Well uh... I am self pay and i havent gotten one approval from my doctor... Matter of fact i really dont even have a doctor. What happens if i get there and something isnt right with my chemicals.... Is it a wasted trip? Im REALLY FREAKING OUT all of a sudden and dont know if i just being a worry wart or if i just missed a major step in this process.....
westtexastwizter
on 2/22/10 9:24 am - woodward, OK

I'M having surgey the same day as you , same doctor as you. and if it makes you feel any better I havent had all these test either, my understanding is that they do them all the day of your sleeve. Good luck to you. Kathy

blue.roses48
on 2/22/10 11:04 am - Irrigon, OR
I know someone else that is having surgury that same day.  She has spoke of having her PCP give her pre-op tests.  This has concerned me also.  I also have no doctor and am afraid that when I get there there might be a problem.  It looks like the 24 is going to buissy day.  You two and the lady I know.  To all of you good luck.

Brandy K.
on 2/22/10 12:32 pm - Garland, TX
If it makes you feel any better, I do have a PCP and insurance and when I told my PCP that I was headed to Mexico for bariatric surgery, his only question was whether or not I'd found one I trust.  When I said yes, he gave me his blessing but didn't order a single lab.  My surgeon does a huge list of labs the day before surgery.  There aren't many results from those labs that would result in the cancelling of your surgery, but if there are, it's for the best.  We want to make our lives better, not lose our lives.  You know?  But, again, like I said, the chances of a lab result putting off your surgery is really slim.  Really slim.
Eme 2009
on 2/22/10 11:02 pm - FL
Most of the pre-op labs that folks get are for the insurance company.  I asked my PCP to run bloodwork before I went to TJ just so that I would have accurate measurements for cholesterol, etc. and things that I hoped would be improved when I lose weight.  I didn't even look  at the results before I left. 

You didn't miss any steps.  Dr. Almanza approved you based on the health questionaiire you should have filled out.  When you get to the clinic, they will perform the neccesary bloodwork and an EKG to ensure you are good to go.

Best wishes to you :)

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

westtexastwizter
on 2/22/10 11:54 pm - woodward, OK
Thanks for everyone that replyed to this post, as I to also wondered about, you have put my mind at ease with only one day left till surgery. Thank you all
sher1019
on 2/23/10 1:31 am - Katy, TX
OMG! What a relief! it was really getting to me... Now all im waiting on is my passport. it hasnt come and i fear that because my plane soesnt come in till 6 pm and my surgery is scheduled for 8 pm that i may be the only one in the van that they may ask to see it!  I dont even have my BC because they took that when they requested my passport papers to be sent!

see you there twizter! the 24th can come fast enough!
If you are having surgery with dr almanza.... melissa told me that we arent going to be staying at their clinic.. but at an actual hospital because they are doing work on the clinic...? anyone heard anything more?
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 10:02 am
No Worries you guys.  I am confident you will be in very good hands while down there.

When I was there many had had surgeries and some folks were accommodated at the Marriott and even in the doctor's personal house!  Trust me, they go above and beyond! 

Just a tidbit about pre-op tests.  What Emeraldcoast stated was correct.  Based on your questionnaire will determine if you needed anything special done in the states pre-op.  My mother had the VSG surgery and did have to provide some Heart tests and written permission from her local cardiologist that she was fit for surgery.  Funny thing, she handled the whole thing better than me!! LOL

My best recommendation:  bring babywipes.  I was so nauseous after surgery from the anestesia.  It really helped having the wipes on hand.
BTW, I'd do it all again in the blink of an eye!  It feels so good to be losing........
Sharonjean63
on 3/2/10 12:55 am - Hamilton, TX
JUST WONDERING HOW YOUR SURGERY WENT. I HAVEN'T SCHEDULED MINE YET. I HAVE TO BREAK THE NEWS TO MY HUSBAND I DON'T HE'LL WANT ME TO GO TO MEXICO.

THANKS

SHARON 
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views