Know of any GOOD Mexican Drs.?????????

L N
on 2/21/10 11:54 pm
I too went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali Mexico.  I was self-pay as my WONDERFUL insurance does not cover any type of weight loss surgery, PERIOD!!!!  Cost $8750, plus airfare.

I can honestly say, that my surgery experience in Mexico, was by far the best surgery experience I have ever had.  My  three US surgeries and hospital stays were no where as nice as  my VSG surgery with Dr. Aceves and his hopsital. 

Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos came by 3-4 times a day to check on their patients.  The staff was very helpful and friendly.  The cleaning staff were working 24-7.  I dare say you could almost eat off the floors they were so clean.  LOL  Don't see too much of that here in the good old US.

If fact, I did so well, and had such a good experience, that my sister and a good friend of mine have both been and had their VSG with Dr. Aceves.  Both of them are also doing great.

I did alot of research before I decided I wanted to go to Dr. Aceves.  That is what I suggest you do.  RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.

My family was against my going to Mexico too, but I had done my research, talk to alot of his patients, and I felt good about my decision.  So I went without their blessings.  My Mom and my sister went with me, and they were blown away by how nice everyone and everything was.

A few of the things that made me pick Dr. Aceves.  I like the location, Mexicali, did not want to go to TJ, heard too many stories about drug wars.  I like the fact that I would be in a full blown hospital, with an ICU unit, etc, and not a clinic.   That I would have a private room, so someone could stay with me, if needed.  That I would be in the hospital the entire time, and not at a motel or recovery house after surgery.  

This is a very personal decision.  One that you must think about.   You need to research everything really well.   

I am sure whatever you do, it will be the what is best for you.

Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Delete Post Edit Post Quick Edit Post
shunt1960
on 2/22/10 11:29 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with
Hello,

I am having RNY with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta on May 3rd.  I have done a lot of reasearch as I work in a hospital and have for 31 years.  I was most impressed by his credentials and the number of procedures he has performed.  The added bonus was all the good thing I was able to find on him from previous patients.  Several videos on you tube as well. 

I just turned 50 and really want to begin a new journey to a healthy happy future.

My surgery is running 11,000 all inclusive for the surgery.  However, I'm not using their airfare or hotel as it is less expensive to book and all inclusive vacation online and we are able to save about 150.00. 

Gerald at the office has been outstanding in answering any and all questions.  The other positive is that their banking is done through t he US and they only require a deposit with the remainder due when you get there.

I wish you all the best on finding the physician that is right for you.

Regards,

Shari
SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

maryja
on 2/23/10 9:35 am - NS, Canada
What I like about Dr. Aceves as well as all of the above is the fact he has lots of follow up and plenty of nutritional counselling. 

This is not the case with some of the lesser priced docs.  In fact there is someone on the failed wls board now saying that her doc did not provide any follow up care including any nutritional conselling so she hasn't lost nearly the weight she wanted to. :(  I guess that's part of the reason for the lower prices as well.
MJ
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 3:30 pm
FYI:
Part of the reason for the lower price is because the very SMART doctor owns his own clinic; owns his own recovery house; knows how to purchase medical supplies in bulk! 

He does not RENT space in a hospital.  He personally knows who cleans and steralizes every square inch of his facility!

And the doctor you are bashing when you obviously don't know what you are talking about  and promoting hearsay provides all patients with both pre op and post op nutritional guidelines for successful weight loss.

Too bad the patient who claims to not have received any 'guidelines' didn't speak up and ask for them.  Can't imagine it didn't cross her mind either pre op or post op.  Hmmmmm.

And thank goodness for OH.  If she has any specific questions I am sure there are TONS of people who would be willing to give their two cents on what their nutritional guidelines are.  Perhaps you can share your doctor-provided info with her?

Also there are several posts on OH that reference the Cornell Nutritional Guidelines. 

There are many reasons people don't lose the weight they want.  Perhaps if they posted some of their hardships and stalls the OH community can do what they do best and HELP.....Not Bash!

I am glad you are happy with the doctor you have chosen to have you WLS with.  Congratulations to you.  We will all be very happy to welcome to the Loser's Bench when you are sleeved.  And, if you have any nutritional questions or concerns feel free to post on here and brace yourself for all the wonderful help you will receive!
summerwall
on 2/25/10 5:41 am - Birmingham, AL
HI I´m new here, can some one help me to decide, I have some doctor´s information that I would like to check with some one who knows them: Dr. Pompa, Dr. Almanza and Dr. Aceves. could some one help me to decide?
gman02
on 3/6/10 8:59 am
Wife used Dr Pompa in Tijuanna We were pleased  Limarp was clean everyone was nice and up to snuff on there stuff! Wife had Gastric Bypass on the 1st Of March   Went real smooth, Freaked out about doing the MEXICO Surgury Thing but all went smooth
                      Only hicup is make sure of your pricing i was told that because of my wifes bmi above 5o (HERS 53)  that staples could cost more , what I was not aware of was that , that extra was 1000.00 i went prepared to pay one price and it came to 1000 more so ask make sure of such as this, even with this surprise i would recommend Limarp  & Dr Pompa
kanesmom
on 3/22/10 7:25 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
I just read your post, so I'm a little late here, but...
I used Dr. Joya in August 2005. I was at goal in about 10 months (100 pounds).
I think it cost $12,000 and that covered EVERYTHING: surgery, hospital, anesthesia, roundtrip airfare, hotel stay. And Dr. Joyas staff takes care of all the planning and you don't have to worry about anything.
I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.
Best wishes.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 3/27/10 10:37 pm
I also had an excellent experience with Dr. Aceves. the hospital was very impressive, I was amazed.

the care? I honestly believe it was better than you would find in most US hospitals, better staffed, cleaner and - small point - my friend that stayed with me said the food was excellent.

I can tell you the broth I got to drink after passing all my leak tests was wonderful and obviously home made!

good luck with your research.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views