Know of any GOOD Mexican Drs.?????????

OTTO
on 2/20/10 3:12 am
Looking into self-pay so Mexico my be my best bet. . .anyone have a Doc they recommend here??? I'm new here so any help you can give is greatly appricated:)
bigisbad
on 2/20/10 4:17 am - Canada, Canada
Ahhh....!!!!!
Just wrote you a long descriptive email and the cat walked across the keyboard and bam... it is gone. So I will just hit a few key notes.
Pick a location that is suitable and easy to travel to.
Pick a Dr. that has alot of great comments on The type of surgery that you are contemplating.
Compare prices and value.
After doing all this I have made a decision and placed a deposit to have VSG on April 8 with Dr. Almanza.
The three big names you hear in Tijuana are Joya, Almanza and Alvarez... but there are many more.
Prices I found were between $5200 to $9000
Almanza is at $5200 and works out of a clinic vs hospital, has a recovery house vs a hotel. Thus a savings passed on.
This website will hep you immensely and you will get some great replies... but spend "a few days" and read all the old posts. There are invaluable... plus you will make a few friends. People in the exact same situation as your self.
Hope this helps a bit.
Welcome to the site
Terry
Margo N.
on 2/20/10 6:01 am
Just got back from Mexico after surgery with Dr Aceves and the whole experience was exemplary - the best care I have received at any hospital ever. PM me if you want more info.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

kward
on 2/20/10 8:40 am
I'm 3 months out..had Dr. Aceves as well...AWESOME experience!  You will find many posts about this incredible surgeon and his staff/ hospital in Mexicali!  His price includes transport from San DIego to Mexicali, all pre op tests, one night in a nice hotel presurgery and 3 nights in a wonderful hospital. 
Happy to answer any questions as well!
Kris

Emily F.
on 2/20/10 11:36 pm
I'm still looking but the top three seem to be Alceves, almanza, joya. I looked at rambuant but Not that many have talked about them.  You can also go to the'find a surgeon' at the top of themain board.
mybadof4
on 2/21/10 4:24 am - De Pere, WI
RNY on 11/09/09 with
I had the RNY with Dr Joya 3 months ago and lost 72 lbs already.  He was Great as all his staff! 
 Mary       
HW 238 SW 215 GW 135 2nd GW 125 CW 120 
hollykim
on 2/21/10 1:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hola from Mexico! I am presently in the recovery house after having VSG with Dr. almanza on Thursday Feb 18.

I am doing wonderfully and just had my drain taken out tonight.

My surgery and recovery has been uneventful.Dr Almanza and his staff have done an excellent job. All of our needs have been met and the language barrier has not been a problem.

dr. Almanza speaks fair English but always has a translator with him. Every nurse on every shift that didn't speak English has translator.

Even here at the recovery house some of the atendants don't speak English or speak some  but there is usually a driver or someone else who can translate. Even without a translator,we are able to make our needs known.

Some one has taken my husband out to eat every meal or food has been brought in. At the recovery house meals are prepared whenever any of the companions are needing to eat.

We have a driver available for shopping,or a trip to the beach,both of which we did today.

I am definately glad I chose Dr. Almanza. I can fully recommend him to you.

Good luck,
Holly

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 6:43 am
great to hear from you...have been reading all your posts  and was wishing you well.  congrats!!!!!
hollykim
on 2/23/10 11:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Thanks, I am doing great! We will be going home tomorrow. It has been like a vaca with a little surgery thrown in :).
Holly

Brandy K.
on 2/21/10 9:56 pm - Garland, TX
I'm having my surgery done with Dr. Horacio Guajardo in Monterrey in May.  He used to work with Dr. Rumbaut, both of whom are two of the top bariatric surgeons in Mexico.  I think less people talk about them here because they're more expensive than most.  I think Dr. Joya's price is about the same, though.  He advertises more than Rumbaut and Guajardo.

Besides their excellent educations and experience (which I consider to be the most important aspect), they both operate out of two really good hospitals in Monterrey that are JCI accredited.  That's the same group that accredits hospitals here in the United States.  As a matter of fact, the hospital where I'll be having my surgery, the Hospital San Jose Tec de Monterrey, is the hospital chosen to care for the President of the United States, his family, or any of his staff should they become ill or injured while in the area.  I found that to be very impressive and it really helped put my mind at ease about the facility. 

It seems like there are about half a dozen surgeons who advertise like crazy.  Check them out, but be sure to dig deeper and look at the ones who don't advertise as well. 

Good luck!

Brandy
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views