Big price differences between surgeons

colleendlyd
on 2/17/10 5:55 am
Hi everyone,
I am narrowing my search down and am close to choosing a surgeon for my revision from lapband to RNY. Through my research I have discovered that there are major price differences between surgeons in Mexico. To quote three:

Dr. Almanza = $8500
Dr. Aceves = $12500
Dr. Joya = $14500 (includes airfare)

I am from Canada and my flight to San Diego I can get for $350 return so that is what I would be paying extra. Do you think paying the extra money means I would have a better outcome? I have read posts from people who are happy with all three surgeons. I am just wondering why the big price difference.

The prices also include my revision from lapband to RNY.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments/insights are appreciated.

Coll
bigisbad
on 2/17/10 10:23 am - Canada, Canada
I to am from Canada and will be visiting Almanza April 8.
When i did my research I found prices all over the board.
Although all the doctors listed above had great comments... there was not a comment that made me lean to pay thousands of dollars more. My fight is approximately the same $400 range and I will stay the first nite at the Hampton Inn in SD... $100

I am staying in TJ a few extra days to recoup abit and to get the doc to check things over before going back to Canada. I thought that for the extra fifty a nite in TJ... it is cheap insurance.
I'm staying at Hotel Ticuan which is close by.

This board has been very helpful and I am sure whatever your choice you make will be the correct one.

What I do know is there are a few different administrators for Almanza and they have different prices and packages.

I used Melissa Bracker at
http://www.obesesolutions.com/contact-us.php
She has been great to deal with.

Maybe see you there.
Good Luck

Terry in BC
sher1019
on 2/17/10 10:44 am - Katy, TX
Here here with using melissa bracker! She is totally awesome. I was going with the lap with dr almanza which was going to run me about 3500 then decided last minute to get the sleeve for about 1300 more. but melissa will steer you in the right direction! sHE HAD AN ANSWER FOR ALL MY QUESTIONS.....and she works directly with dr almanza so she can get you the best price available!
CAMom
on 2/18/10 12:02 am
I used Melissa as well! She is so great with answering all my questions and she is quick too!

I also saw the WIDE range of prices. I wanted to go to a doctor with LOTS of reviews. I found alot of reviews here for Dr. Aceves and Dr. Almanza. Both are great doctors... so for me if was hard to pay $3700 EXTRA when I was confident with both. Now keep in mind, that Dr Almanza works out of a clinic and Dr. Aceves works out of a hospital. The extra you will be paying is for a different level of recovery. For me... I was confident with Dr. Almanza and decided to put the extra $3700 towards a tummy tuck in a year or two. ;) hehehe

I don't know about Dr Joya. I just didn't read enough reviews about him to consider. I wanted a surgeon that had done  ALOT of surgeries from patients here on boards and I could read and see their results.

For me it took a few weeks to read read read reviews and choose for myself... that was Dr. Almanza. Oh.. and he offers a corporate rate for hamptom Inn in San Diego after you fly in. $89 for the room. I am getting a room the day before my surgery.

Good luck on your choice!

Sleeved 3-4-2010 SW: 205 CW: 130ish Height: 5'6" Goal: ACHIEVED!
Plastics on 6-20-2011 with Dr. Lara - TT, BA, BL & Lipo :)

PinkStarKLD
on 2/18/10 5:35 pm - Forest Park, GA
I'm actually about to schedule my surgery with Dr. Almanza sometime in May. I've been speaking with his office and to my understanding they do their banking in the states. I know you said you're from Canada and so I'm not sure how much this may help you, but it made me feel a little better about my money....:)

Kristy Lynn*
shunt1960
on 2/20/10 10:59 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with
Hello,

I been researching for the last several weeks and I am scheduling my RNY surgery with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta.  I received a quote of 12,000.  I work in the medical field and feel comfortable with all the information I was able to fine.  I think it's just a personal choice and finding someone you will be comfortable with.  I hope to have my surgery in the middle to end of April.

Good luck to you!

Shari
shunt1960
on 2/22/10 6:17 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with
Dr. Joya also does his banking through the US.  They only ask for 1,000 deposit with the remainder to be paid when you have surgery therefore, I feel very comfortable.  Plus I get a bonus  vacation by going to Puerto Vallarta....My surgery is scheduled for May 3. 

Gerald at their clinic is awesome and helpful.

Good luck in your decision!

Shari
SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 428 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 619 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1205 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?