After surgery care(fills)

charchar
on 2/16/10 3:22 am
Okay I have several questions here please answer any of them you can.. I am considering Mexico this is my second post because I forgot to ask some questions in the post and I'm sure I will have many more. Is there a website to find Dr's back home in US that will do fills and checkups etc.. I am in Arkansas. Also are the motels in Mex. expensive, are they included in the price packages? What is the usual stay after surgery with no complications, do they keep you there in the hospital or send you to your motel and have you come back the next day to check everything?  Wonder if it is better to drive or fly form Ark to Mexico.. and what about passports so many questions! HELP...Thanks again, charchar
sher1019
on 2/16/10 4:28 am - Katy, TX
If you are considering a hotel in california for a tijuana clinic the hotel rooms are 89.00 a  night.. they have a corporate rate... the hotel is not included in the price package but the only night you should be in a hotel is the night of your arrival (again if youre going to tijuana)  i think its 2 days with lap band and 3 days with sleeve.  you will need a passport to get over the border. a passport runs 100 to 160 bucks depending on amount of time you want to get it.  Are you going to monterray or tijuana?
L N
on 2/16/10 5:21 am
You might want to check over on the VSG forum, and ask questions about the sleeve.  It is a one time deal, no fills, etc.

From what I understand it can get right expensive when you get back to the states to keep getting fills and unfills. I know the lapband is the less expensive of all the surgeries to get, but when you consider the cost of the fills, etc., it can add up to alot more money in the long run. 

Plus I have read where alot of people have trouble with their bands after awhile.

If I were you I would research all the different surgeries, and then go from there on finding the right doctor.  
pizzacat
on 2/17/10 8:33 am - Urbana, IL
I had a lapband put in about 3 years ago.  I wish I never spent the money to get it and I am currently seeking its' removal, but that's another story.

RE:  Passport -  You must have a passport to go into and return from Mexico (or any other country).  You need to get a picture taken (walgreens takes them for about 8 bucks.  You will need to fill out an application for a passport, and you can download one from the internet.  Check with your local post office to see if they "do" passports.  If so, take your application, pictures, official ID, birth certificate, check book, and whatever else they need (you can find that out on the internet also) to them and they will submit it for you.  They will also tell you a rough time estimate on receiving it.  Mine, during a "low travel season" took 2 weeks.  Summer is a high travel season.

RE: Doctors who will "fill" you - You can use this site to find a doctor who will give you a fill.  Look at the "find a surgeon" tab and choose your state.  The doctor who did my lap band charged $187 per fill.  That included the office visit and actual fill.  In the three years I have had the lapband, I've had about three fills because I gave up on the band after the first year.

RE:  Hospital stay - I had mine as an outpatient in Illinois.  Self pay $15K (three years ago).  Surgery in the morning (lap) and home by 4 p.m. the same day.  I had no complications from the surgery, but boy oh boy was getting up and back into bed a major undertaking!  I did not feel that I needed to stay in the hospital afterwards and pretty much all I did for a few days afterwards was sleep.

RE: Fly or Drive - I cannot share my personal experiences on this one, and I think they both had pros and cons to them.  When I go to have my DS, I will probably fly.  It is expensive and I am concerned about sitting in a seat for several hours with very little room to move.  The plus side of it is I will be home in a few hours.  If I drove, I would rent a car and have to buy special insurance and I have no idea what Mexico gas prices are.  It would also take much longer to get to the states and then back home.  The upside is I could stop and stretch/walk when I needed to.

Hope this helps!  Good luck with your research!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views