VSG: Mexico vs. U.S

jmore
on 2/12/10 1:42 am - Bay Area, CA
Hello All, this goes out to everyone, particularly those who have had VSG done in Mexico.  I'd like to know what the real differences are between the two countries when it comes to VSG.  How are the doctors, hospitals, aftercare, cost?  Were you able to get the doctor's bio/history?  How was your comfort level having the procedure done in Mexico.  After having surgery in Mexico will/does your insurance in the States cover complications/post-op care?
N H.
on 2/12/10 4:21 am - FL
Hi JMore,

I chose Mexico simply due to money.  My insurance would not cover my VSG stateside, they said my BMI was not high enough and I did not have enough co-morbidities.  Yikes, that was one of the things I was trying to avoid.

After doing a lot of soul searching on what this weight loss meant for me, I decided to do re-searching on my alternatives.

During my internet research I found the VSG (was planning on the Lap Band) and then found WLS in both Costa Rica and Mx that were highly recommended.  Mexico was closer to home so narrowed the docs down that way.

Then I found this website and frankly, PMed members who had had surgery in Mexico.  I narrowed the docs down to Dr.s Aceves, Alvarez and Almanza.  All of their patients I contacted raved about each one of them.  So with that being equal, I chose Dr. Almanza due to his lower price.

The care was great.  I have been in EMS since 1980 and will say without reservation, the OR and clinic were spotless.  The equipment was not the absolute latest in a large metropolitan hospital but was more than adequate should and emergency arrive.  I would not hesitate to go back....and more than likely will when I have plastic surgery done.

My insurance clearly states it does not cover complications arising from uncovered procedures so I knew I was on my own should something happen.  With that in mind I had a complete physical done prior to heading down for surgery. 

My comfort level in Mexico was great.  Not only where we chaperoned the whole time but the meds were more than adequate.  After the second day I did not need or want anything for pain. 

As for aftercare, once I came home I never called Dr. Almanza back because I didn't need to.  I came home on a Sunday and had scheduled a follow up with my PCP for the very next day to give me a look over.  She was more than satisfied and completely understood going out of the country for the surgery.  She has been great with ordering labs for me.

Most of the docs post their certificates and degrees on their website.  You can also Google the docs.  I think the best testament to their qualifications is to PM their past patients.

Good luck and congrats on your decision to change your life.  This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself and wish I had done it 15 years or more earlier.

Take any criticism you may hear about a specific doc with a grain of salt unless that poster has first hand knowledge and can substantiate their claims.

Nancy
                                          Pre Op-Surgery-Current-Goal
                                            232  -    213   -  153 - 150

5'4" tall
Stage 1 Plastics 10/20/10 with Dr. Adrian Menjarrez-Mexicali
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck    
bigisbad
on 2/12/10 5:13 am - Canada, Canada
Nancy
What a great post.
I could not of improved it it any better.
I am scheduled to see Dr. Almanza on April 8th for VSG
Being from Canada I too have no insurance but this site has helped immensely.
Note to the original poster: There are several qualified physicians in Canada as well

Terry
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views