on 2/5/10 11:56 am - Grandview, WA
I'm going to Mexico on the 18th. Scheduled for lapband, but thinking about
changing it a sleeve. It's getting close, my bday is the 19th so I'll be there
for that...
hollykim
on 2/5/10 12:00 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hey Michelle,
My surgery is the 18th so i will see ya there somewhere!
Good luck
Holly

CAMom
on 2/5/10 1:29 pm
Good luck on your surgery!!!

Make sure to update with your experience. I am still considering Dr. Alamanza and Dr. Aceves. Can't decide.
michelle mazie
on 2/6/10 10:24 am - Grandview, WA
I went with Dr. Alamanza, because I'll be going by myself and there's a lady name Laurie
that goes with a group of people, she picks up at airport and stays the whole time. It made
me feel better that I wouldn't be alone, and made my husband and kids ok with the whole
thing. Thanks for the Good Luck and Good Luck with making a decision it's a hard thing
to do after reading what people say..
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/10 1:05 am
I was going to do the lapband and changed my mind to the sleeve.  SO GLAD I DID!!  So, I was sleeved on Jan 13 with Dr. Almanza.  My mother had her lapband of 5 years removed the following day and she, too was sleeved by Dr. Almanza.

While we were down there a gal named Susie was there for the lapband.  She changed her mind right before surgery and went with the sleeve on the recommendation of all the doctors present.   Boy, is she happy!  I stay in touch with her and she has zero regrets!

It seems to me that every person I speak to  who has had the lapband has run into some kind of trouble somewhere down the line.  I know my mom started to have difficulties.  And getting the correct "fill" amount was always so challenging for her.

For me, I wanted the ability to still be able to eat food, 'normally.'  And this is now the case.  I am just shy of one month post-op and I have eaten out in several restaurants.  The beautiful thing is I just can't eat a lot!  No more than 10 small bites and I am so satisfied and full! 

With the band I would have been so afraid of vomiting in public, as so many do because of a piece of food getting stuck.......  OMG I can't imagine!

I feel so Normal now......  I eat like a skinny person.  Don't get me wrong, the beginning was rough. I had terrible acid reflux, called gerd or gurd......  but I take a Nexium pill daily and no longer have any problems in that department.  Just getting enough liquids down is my biggest challenge. If I had to do it again I would without any hesitation what so ever.

I am happy to report that I am steadily losing weight and hope to be at goal by the end of summer! 
With the lapband, gosh forbid you need to have it taken out, chances are you would gain back all the weight you lost.  And you would still have that  hunger hormone, gherlin.  With the sleeve the hunger hormone is gone, for good!  And, there are no fills to worry about.  No slippage. No scar tissue forming around the band.
Good luck with your decision.
You will absolutely love Dr. Almanza and Dr. Betencourt!  They will make you feel like part of their big family down there in TJ no matter which procedure you decide upon!

michelle mazie
on 2/7/10 3:58 am - Grandview, WA
Thank you so much for the information, It's just a scary thing. I just kept thinking about the fills
also. We found a place where they do them pretty cheap $150, but after awhile it adds up. My
cousin had lapband 1 yr. ago, and just had a first fill done in dec. She said her weight starting
to do good again since the fill. I think she'd only lost 60 lbs. in that first year.
I have a daughter who's husbands in the military, they're stationed in Hawaii and due with
a baby in march, so I'm going there the 28th of feb. on 8 days after my surgery, so my son inlaw
says he's going to take me walking everyday. So that's pretty exciting to have someone do that
part with me. I'll be there for 7 weeks so I feel that'll help alot. Told my husband by the time I see
him the next time I should be at least 30 lbs. down and have a tan..
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/10 4:38 am
I'll come walk with you every day in Hawaii!!
How awesome!!  This will surely help you in your recouperation.  I am 49 and it was a little rough for me right after.   Now my mom........  she sailed through the whole thing and never had any of the anestesia nausea that I had or the reflux.  Go figure! 

One thing to think about....  you will be needing to have your stitches removed at about 10-12 days out.  So, maybe there is a military doctor or nurse that your relatives could have you visit there is Hawaii.  Or, when you go for the first baby check up nonchalently ask the nurse to help! LOL   My mom took most of my stitches out.  But I did go to a "Quick Care" place locally to have the last batch out, where the drain had been.
No swimming until all the incisions are healed.  But I can only think that the sal****er of the ocean would be so soothing.

Like I said, if you need a walking partner..............

michelle mazie
on 2/7/10 6:11 am - Grandview, WA
Thank you about the info on the stitches, hopefully my son inlaw can figure that one out. I'll let him know so he can start working on it. I already have the reflux, but its been getting worse since I gained these last 30 lbs. I'm usually a pretty quick recover, and have a high pain tolerence. I've got a 5 yr. old daughter also, so there's no sitting down with her.  I've never been to hawaii before, and probably still wouldn't be if my daughter wasn't having a baby and she's by baby.. there's 15 yrs. between her and my 5 yr. but I told her she can't hold the title for 15 yrs. and lose it.
I got my local dr. to give me a prescription for some nausea pills. Now I've been told to make sure and take gas x strips also, is there any other things that you feel would be a good idea not to
forget? Thank you for talking to me its nice to talk to some who's done this already.
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/10 6:35 am
Wow, still chasing after a 5 year old!  How proud your daughter will be growing up with a skinny mommy!!!!
About the gas x strips.  I brought them and still have never used them.  I did get the gas pain afterwards, for a good 3 days.  My left shoulder is where the pain centered.  Now the staff will give you pain killers.  First through your IV.  I had my IV out by day two and then I got an injection for any pain.  Also an injection for the antibiotics. (Heads up...  sometimes these injections weren't the most pleasant.)  Day three I started to swallow the antibiotics via a pill. I was sent home with antibiotics and pain pills.  I never took a pain pill or any pain shots after day 3.

So, my first night after surgery I was grateful to have baby wipes on hand for quick clean-ups after being nauseous. Also it was hard for me to get comfortable with the IV hanging off my hand.  Once that thing came out I was able to sleep on my side, which is what I normally do.

I, too had the acid reflux prior but Tums did the trick.  Also, not eating late at night.  Well, now it is almost the same.  No eating after 7:30pm or the food will talk to me to the point where I need to go throw it up.  (sorry.....  TMI) And I take one Nexium-generic pill per day.  I started with the Priolec  and that worked well but was a bit costly.  (Sam's Club does have this way cheaper than Walgreens.)
Live and learn........

I don't remember if Dr. Almanza's staff gave me any anti-nausea medicine.  The thought of swallowing anything for the first 24 hours after surgery I think would have been quite difficult and not allowable.   So, if the doc's did give me something it would have been via the IV.  You will have to ask when you are down there.  And trust me,  they are used to folks all reacting very differently after their surgerical procedures.  I thought I was a trooper having delivered my son 100% naturally.  Oh hell no......   I was such a big baby!!  My mom was such a huge help that first night not only to me but also to this gal named Jody who was in the recovery room with us.  Jody didn't have anyone with her.  She, too was grateful for the baby wipes on hand.

Baby wipes and lysol wipes are the two things I would definitely recommend packing.  The lysol wipes for the restroom.  Mind you the restroom was very very clean but I am neurotic about bathrooms!

All I can say for being 25 days post op is that I would do it all again in a heartbeat! 
Geez, I hope all this info helps you.  I can remember being so very stressed out before hand.  Now it seems like it was such a long time ago!  And before you know it you will be writing the same kind of posts to others on here!!
michelle mazie
on 2/7/10 7:19 am - Grandview, WA
Thank you have been a big help. It's nice to have someone to talk to, that understands.
My husband kinda just ok's me, and what ever you want. My oldest daughter tells me how exciting, she's going to get surgery next year with her taxes. My daughter in hawaii doesn't say much, other then I'll do whatever you need mom, daughter in pa. tells me that you won't be the same skinny, I try telling her it won't change me just make me healthier and happier. My son tells me you better be careful mom!  Everyone in my family is very supportive, so that's nice. Well my daughter and grand daughter(2) are fighting so gotta go ... Thank You so much again..
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 428 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 619 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1205 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1832 views