My experience with Dr. Almanza

hollykim
on 1/25/10 3:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Good deal. It is kind of freaky when you know someone has a pair of tweezers pinching something that is attatched to your skin and a pair of scissors in the other hand! LOL
I was apiece of protein cake wasn't it?

Eme 2009
on 1/25/10 3:35 am - FL
Yes, it was :)  I think I made him more nervous just because I started freaking out--he usually doesn't get nervous!

Aside from cleaning the incisions, once they are healed over (my big one isn't yet), can I put anything like neosporin on them to help minimize scarring?  Can I use peroxide on the big one that isn't closed over?

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

hollykim
on 1/25/10 4:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
One they are well healed over,you can put lotion or anything else you want on them.

I used Neosporen on a couple of mine whose edges were slow in closing after my Gallbladder removal in Oct. I probably would use it again if it were me. I think some docs recommend not using anything but mine were just a tad bid gooey and needed something.

If you use peroxide,cut it half and half with water. Straight peroxide can damage new tissue growth.

Are you still using gauze dressings? The incisions need some air to dry up;don't keep them soggy under a damp dressing all the time...that is a breeding ground for infection.

I had better luck with extra large band aids;they protected the incisions from rubbing on my clothes,but still let a little air in. I tried to go without them at night altogether.

Eme 2009
on 1/25/10 5:02 am - FL
Thank you!  I haven't been using bandages at all other than once or twice since I've been home--and that's just for the big one because it was still icky.  I think I'll do the neosporin on the small ones that are closed over and try some mederma in a month or so.  (I have nasty keloid-scarring skin)  The big one is going to take some time :)

Thanks for your advice---I really appreciate it!! :)

maksl53
on 1/28/10 10:10 pm - Franklinton, NC
I just an FYI - the doctors tell you not to use neosporin anymore. It seems it can trap bacteria.  They recommend you use polysporin.  My friend just have a basal cell removed (surgically)  from his face and the post op instructions said to use polysporin, not neosporin and they used capital letters. My post-op instructions for my WLS also say to use polysporin.  It may also help with scarring. His scar is barely visable.
Eme 2009
on 1/29/10 12:35 am - FL
Thanks so much, Maks!  I'm going to buy some polysporin.  All I have is neosporin and bacitracin.

Grays
on 1/25/10 12:26 pm
Hello.  My husband and I had the lap band procedure on January 19.  We must hav just missed each other!  I agree with everything you have had to say about your experience.  We, too, feel that we had wonderful care and are looking forward to having our stitches removed this coming Saturday.  I noticed that some folks were talking about using Neosporin on the incisions.  I've been told that Neosporin or other ointments can keep the area too moist and allow any bacteria to remain on the site.  I think that Bactine or any other spray-on antibiotic may be a better choice...of course this something that you might want to discuss with your surgical coordinator, or your doctor back home.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I'm happy that yours was a good one, as was ours.

Viva Dr. Almanza and the wonderful, caring people both at the hospital and at the recovery house.

Florie and Rick Gray
Mandyplus2 ..
on 1/26/10 12:16 am - GA
Thank you so much for posting this! I am bookmarking it for future reference as I may be using this surgeon.
bikerchickk
on 1/26/10 11:57 pm - Sequim, WA
Hi,
 Thanks for posting this. I may be going to Dr. Almanza as well, for the lap band. I was not nervous until everyone started telling me all these horror tories about mexican bariatric surgerys. I think most of them are made up by american lap band surgeons. But nice to hear your story. I wish you much luck on your journey.
Summer
tengibbs
on 3/3/10 9:28 am - New Haven, CT
Thanks for sharing so much detailed information..I really appreciate reading your experience. I am new to the idea of going to MX and I am very nervous...But the more I read about other peoples experience the better I become..so thanks again..
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views