My experience with Dr. Almanza

wendyvanosdell
on 1/23/10 3:10 pm
You are very fortunate, I wish I was going the same time as you!!!  It would be such a mental rest to know a doctor was there at the recovery house looking out for you. I read about 2 leaks, and I think had they been seeing a dr at the recovery house, it would have been a lot better.
  Wendy  Vanosdell              
   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Eme 2009
on 1/23/10 10:58 pm - FL
Dr. Betancourt will see you at the recovery house.  If you feel something is wrong, do not hesitate to speak up and ask to return to the hospital. 

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

jane_carole
on 1/24/10 12:00 am - Decatur, GA
Thank you for your post! I just returned from my VSG with Dr. Almanza-Reyes yesterday (my surgery was on 1/20/2010).  I wish I had been able to read your post before I went, it would have eased my mind quite a bit. I found out about his website from another woman whose surgery was the same day as mine. You give an accurate portrayal of my experience with a couple of exceptions: I never saw my surgeon after my surgery although I did see Dr. Betancourt several times. I was taken back by the location of the clinic where I had my surgery, it is in a strip center and I was surprised by how cramped the facilities were. I felt like my surgery, pre and post op care were top notch especially given how wonderful I feel now, just 4 days post-op. I would highly recommend to anyone who can that they have a companion for this journey. Thanks again!
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/10 9:40 am
Hi Anne,
What an awesome play by play.
The one part you left out...........  you were just wheeled out of surgery and still on the 'stretcher.' Your husband, in his shorts and flip-flops was a dead give-a-way that you all were from Florida.  That's when I knew it was you!  I said Hi to you and asked if you were Emerald Coast.  You were pretty coherent.  I introduced myself as Jeminnv......  and we both kinda laughed because of the cir****tances of our meeting in the hallway.
So then you and Tim were on the bed in the recovery room.  Yes, I remember you were freezing!  I was in the next bed getting my EKG done....then off I went into the surgery room.

I bet you don't even remember any of this.  In fact, in reading everything you blogged I am so impressed with how much you did remember! 

I had no idea you all spent a night at the Marriott.  I assumed you all had been at the recovery house.  My Mom and I stayed 3 nights at the medical center because her surgery was a bit more complicated and a day after mine.  In hindsight, I wished we had moved to the condo sooner.  It was so comfortable there and the showers had plenty of ho****er.

Anyway I just wanted to refresh your memory. 
Talk to you soon!
Janet
ps,,,,  11 days post op down 21 pounds!!!  yee ha!
Eme 2009
on 1/24/10 10:24 pm - FL
The night we were in San Diego, getting ready to fly back to Florida, I sat on the bed with my laptop and tried to recall everything.  I knew I'd forget if I waited too long.  Tim was able to fill in a couple of blanks.  :)

That was so funny about the way we met in the hallway.  I vaguely remember you coming in when I was in recovery.  Wow I was soooo cold.  I told my husband later that I just kept thinking that I wished our dog, Nemo, was under the covers with me because he always warms it up!  :)

And way to go with your weightloss so far---very awesome!! :)

Eme 2009
on 1/24/10 10:27 pm - FL
You are welcome, Jane.  I think it was just by chance that I was able to see Dr. Almanza after the surgery.  If he was around and we were up and about, it seemed like he'd just pop his head in to check on everything.  I wont forget seeing him while I was in recovery and wanting to know so badly how everything went.  He immediately set my mind at ease telling me that everything looked good and I only had 4 incisions.  (One of them hardly counts, though---it only had one stitch.)  I had 10 stitches total.

thinasiwant
on 1/24/10 2:39 pm
Oh I am soooooo thrilled for you and glad that all was well. Servetio has had his VSG too huh? That is terrific. I am healing beautifully and losing weight very nicely. Welcome to the losers bench!!!!
Thinasiwant

Eme 2009
on 1/24/10 10:25 pm - FL
Yes--he must have had it around the 6th of January because when I was there, he said it had been about a week!

hollykim
on 1/25/10 2:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Did DH get your stitches out ok?

Eme 2009
on 1/25/10 2:20 am - FL

Yes he did!  We did it yesterday since Saturday we were doing som running around.  I actually had a slight panic attack when we went to get started.  I just freaked.  I guess it is the controlling side of me because I couldn't do it myself.  I took a cool shower, calmed down, laid on the bed and he was able to get them all out without me freaking out again :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views