Dr.Mario Alberto Almanza

hollykim
on 1/24/10 3:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I have read that most of the twisted stomachs have occured after REVISION surgeries from other surgeries to the sleeve.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/10 9:54 am
For whatever it is worth, every person that I have personally met that has had the lapband has had problems in one way or another.  Even my own mother!  She had been banded for 5 years with bouts of problems  began.  Her weight loss stalled after one year.  Her biggest problem was getting the correct fill amount. Also several instances of public vomiting because of a tiny piece of food getting stuck also were, well, embarassing.
Needless to say, at age 69 she underwent a conversion from lapband to the sleeve.  She is down 10 pounds already  and couldn't be happier! 
It is so nice to know that after a few months we will be able to take 'normal' bites of food unlike with the band whereas everybit can't be larger than a pea.

This is why I opted for the sleeve.  I enjoy eatting out.  I didn't want to have a foreign object in my body.  I didn't want to worry about vomiting.
The only difference now is that I have a tool to help me not over-eat.  I have a small stomach due to the sleeve.  If I do overeat, well.......  we here on OH call it getting the "Ralphies!"  LOL.  AKA the foamies.  I never did like the name Ralph.....
Hope this helps.  All just my opinion.  You must do what is best for you and your lifestyle.
BTW, my mother recovered from the surgery so much better than I did!  I think it will be a full month before I have my full stamina that I had prior.  But, I'm loving fitting into clothes that I haven't been able to wear in many many months!  I am down 21 pounds 11 days post op!
Good luck.
butterfly_kisses
on 1/27/10 10:33 am - Canada
but u are ok with staples in your body? Hmmm
ebroady23
on 1/27/10 5:23 pm
The staples do bother me but every surgery has it's pros and cons. I have talk to alot of people who had bad experiences with the band.  This is not to discurage anybody from the band I just don't want it for me. Plus having to get fills and unfills is something that I don't have the time, money or patience to deal with. I know a lot of people are doing it over again and is getting the vsg. I don't want to have to have another surgery.  There are people who succeed with the band and thats great but I am more afraid of band erosion than the staples in my stomach.  Like I said every surgery has it's pros and cons.
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/10 6:55 am - Hendersonville, TN
I have never posted on here before but I have had the band for almost 6 years. I am getting a sleeve revision. Whatever surgery you have done has to be your own decision. I am thankful for my band because, at the time, it would have been the band or bypass and i didn't want bypass. I lost over 50% of my weight, I have had two beautiful, healthy children during this time and i very thankful for the band. However, due to complications, it needs to come out. If it was working I would leave it in there, but it isn't. I have reflux and I am now not able to have fluid in there at all and be able to eat it has gotten that bad.

I am thankful now that the sleeve is available. I don't have to have malabsorption (for me, I don't want it).

I think the band has a higher complication rate down the road. Some people love the band and wouldn't have anything else. It's a personal decision.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views