Dr.Mario Alberto Almanza

wendyvanosdell
on 1/22/10 4:27 pm
There are a lot of posts in the failed weight lost surgery that have to do with the lap band. That says a lot. One called it the crap band.
  Wendy  Vanosdell              
   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

amy R.
on 4/14/10 1:32 am - owego, NY
I too have lap-band and hate it when i get the $$ im getting the sleeve.. my daughter has the band also and it has slipped twice and also has a leak we are changing to the sleeve she is 17 and will be 1st.... hard to find a US Dr to even see her so Im on a hunt and I believe I will go with  Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza Reyes
bigisbad
on 2/3/10 3:56 am - Canada, Canada
On January 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM Pacific Time, bdette49 wrote:
On January 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM Pacific Time, ebroady23 wrote:
Hello Tesha my name is Echo. I was wondering what procedure did you get. I was thinking about lap band but I am not sure if I want to do the whole thing with the fills and all. I like the lap band because it was less invasive. I think the gastric sleeve is what I am leaning towards now.  Another reason I chicken out is I didn't have no one to go with me. My family is totally against me going to Mexico for surgery. How much is the VSG surgery? I would love to be your surgery buddy. It will make me alot more comfortable having someone to talk to.  Also how was your post op care in the United States.  Was you recieve well by American doctors or did you go back to Mexico for your post op care. I know these are alot of questions and I am sorry. I am just trying to see how others are making it after surgery abroad.
Echo

What ever you do, don't get the band!!! The sleeve is only about $500 more (I think) and so much more worth it. I speak from experience, I have had both procedures! Remember with the band you will have to pay out of pocket for all of your fills and un fills, and trust me it is a never ending battle! I spent another $750 on fills and only had my band for 9 months. The VSG really has no aftercare, once it is done and healed that is it!!

Night and day difference in the two procedures, get the sleeve!!
I'm in the same boat and am leaning more towards the sleeve as I investigate further. Spending 6 months in Canada and 6 months in Texas I am having problems finding doctors or offices that will do the fill.
Any suggestions that will make up my mind?
Who did your surgery and where?
Thanks
TR
ebroady23
on 2/3/10 1:36 pm
I havent had the surgery yet, but I am leaning towards Dr. Almanza because I can't afford anybody else. 
ebroady23
on 1/23/10 6:56 am
I want to think you all for your advise. I did not feel as if she was telling me what to do. I felt her opinion was valuble because I had already had bad feelings about the band. I wanted the sleeve anyway because I don't have the money for continual fills and unfills and plus I did not want a foreign object in my body. I am glad people are sharing their feelings towards the band, whether positive or negative. Knowing the bad parts really help and if someone experience a done side; I would want to know. So thank you. My pain problem is with infection. Have anyone experience any infection with the sleeve?
teshanelson1
on 1/23/10 2:48 pm - Dallas, TX
HI,
     This tesha i forgot to tell you that they gave fothe VSG was $5,200 and as for the aftercare i am in the process of getting a doctor to take out my stitches 10 days post op and if i don't find one I might take them out on my own are go to the ER. 

Good Luck,
                                                                                                   Tesha
ebroady23
on 1/23/10 3:13 pm
Hi I was wondering are you scared or nervous at all about the surgery? My stomach gets butterflies when I have to go and get a shot so I am freaking out.
teshanelson1
on 1/24/10 3:47 am - Dallas, TX
No I am not scared are nervous at all i so ready to get it moving.But ask me when i have  my date and it get closer and i might be a little nervous but that wouldn't change my mind.
wendyvanosdell
on 1/23/10 3:23 pm
Just my opinion, but with both surgeries you are being cut open- just a little, and you would be in the same hospital, same staff,     it seems like your odds of getting an infection would be very similar, regardless of which one you choose. For the first weeks anyway. After that I have heard of complications with the band, slipping and eroding, but I haven't really heard of any with the sleeve.  The long term complication stuff is what swayed me over to the sleeve. Just my 2 cents worth  :)      I am wondering.. does anyone know of any sleeve complications?  I haven't been able to find any after the first couple weeks. I am supposed to be having this in like 10 days  (getting scared)  and I do feel incredibly confident of my decision, but I would love to hear from anyone ... about complications or anything else. thanks, and good luck to you in whatever WLS you choose!!!
  Wendy  Vanosdell              
   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

PrettyPixieGirl
on 1/23/10 5:07 pm
The major complication for the sleeve is a Leak. They do multiple leak checks both during surgery and after surgery. The xray barium swallow is the grosses tasting crap ever! But you can ask for a copy of your xray and come home with a photo of your new banana tummy. Other things that are reported after the sleeve.. increased reflux (I don't have the problem but some people do).. constipation (our diet tends to be low fiber).. low vitamins levels in your blood work..and extremely rare from what I have seen is your stomach twisting. The twisted stomach may or may not need surgery to correct itself. From what I understand this can happen if they use a smaller bougie size to make your stomach. This is rare enough that most people tend to forget it is even a complication.

I was also much colder post op. That isn't exclusive to the sleeve though. Your intake of calories is much lower so you get cold faster. Also not exclusive to the sleeve is emotional roller coaster the first few weeks. You are releasing hormones stored in fat that make you loopy and cry at AT&T commericals. I was also very tired for the first 2-3 weeks. Either needed a nap or went to bed early. Again that isn't exclusive to the sleeve. 

Hope that helps!  Can't wait to see you on the loser's bench 

HW:260+ SW: 248 Pre-Preg 180 Post-Preg Starting Wt: 225 Current PP wt: 195 GW: 170ish. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views