Dr. Almanza- January 15th

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/10 10:15 am - Washington, DC
Anyone going to be there? I will be travelling alone, and just wanted to see who else will be there. I promise I will bring enough 'trash-reading' for two :)
Eme 2009
on 1/11/10 9:03 am - FL
There will be a bunch of us there!  I'll be there with my husband...surgery day is Wednesday.  I think there are about a dozen people from OH there this week!  Safe travels to you and see you on Friday!

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

goldiekat
on 1/11/10 10:09 am - Vega, TX
On January 10, 2010 at 6:15 PM Pacific Time, coopersmama wrote:
Anyone going to be there? I will be travelling alone, and just wanted to see who else will be there. I promise I will bring enough 'trash-reading' for two :)
AAAAHHHH man, I like my trash reading... I have a kindle and plan to bring it, but my surgery isn't till Feb. 5th.  So no sharing trash reads lol.
Goldiekat^..^ Jeanette Petersen
Mother of three skin kids, three dogs, two gliders & two bratty cats
PTibbits09
on 1/11/10 12:30 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
You'll have to let me know how it goes! My Mother and I are getting it done the 29th with Dr. Almanza. I'm sooo nervous! :/

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/10 1:02 pm - Washington, DC
So it looks like it will not be Dr. Almanza any more. My fiance spent tons of time on the different boards yesterday and is really very uncomfortable about going to Dr. Almanza. So we are skipping off to Dr. Alvarez and paying the difference. (His comment was that- this is not a 'kitchen renovation'- you cannot trust the cheaper guy)

So I am still scheduled for this week friday in Piedra Negras instead. Good luck to all of y'all. I will be keeping in touch, and would love to hear your progress.

PTibbits09
on 1/12/10 7:53 am - North Las Vegas, NV
What did he find that he was uncomfortable with about Dr. Almanza? Everything I've seen is pretty much positive... Should I be worried??
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/10 8:12 am - Washington, DC
I think it depends on your comfort level. There were a number of people who have posted on different boards (including the vertical Sleeve talk site) that they had issues with infections post surgery. My understanding is that there was a batch of 'sutures that were compromised'.  Not sure why/when. Also, my understanding is that he has about 2 years, maybe 3 years experience (just what I heard from other folks- cannot confirm that info)

One person who was a patient in Dec sent me a very detailed email with her dissapointments with infections and post-care, and that sealed the deal for me. So off to Alvarez I go. i feel better about the decision, even though I am certain the extra 3500 would've been nice for clothes after all of this :)
spritesdelights
on 1/22/10 1:41 pm
I wish you luck with Dr. Alvarez, but it's a shame you're spending the extra amount on another doctor. I had my surgery last week and had a wonderful experience. Dr. Almanza and his team were fantastic and did a great job while I was there.

The suiture issue happened many months ago and was corrected immediately. As for the number of years he's been doing surgeries...that hasn't been confirmed, but he's certainly a whole heck of a lot better than any doctor in the US and infections/issues with your surgery can happen with any doctor, regardless of the number of years they've been doing surgery.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality." - Walt Disney

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views