has anyone had a mini gastric bypass from dr almanza

southbound
on 1/4/10 8:48 am - winnie , TX
glad to hear everything went well for you an I am still trying to make up my mind about the mine it is between it and the sleeve...  how long after the sleeve till you are able go back to work... I am a storm chaser an the recovery time was part of the reason.... i was looking into the mini... so how was dr almanza and the hospital.....  thanks again an hope all continues to go well for you...
hollykim
on 1/6/10 3:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I would think the recovery time physically would be about the same. Getting your new eating/drinking habits squared away might be harder with the mini,just as they often are with the full bypass.
I really think,everything considered,it is my uneducated opinion that the recovery time would be pretty much the same. good luck!
Holly

MARVEN00037
on 1/9/10 12:23 am - pierrefonds, Canada
My story is a little different than most i had dr almanza do my gastric sleeve and i had him do a hernia at the same time.  So your experience will not be exactly the same. so let me start from the begining when i got to san diego the driver was not there i was met another pacient who was on the phone with shirley rhor and they told us the driver was stuck at the border so we took a cab to the mexico boarder and walk across which may sound bad but i was no big deal.  we crossed into mexico met the driver i don't remember his name and we were driven to the clinic.  I want you to know emanuel medical is a clinic not a hospital.  once there they run some tests you and your schedualed for sugery that same afternoon.  This place is what i would call the fast food of the bariatrics business.  This does not mean it is bad but it is the cheapest for a reason you don't really meet any councelors your have a few people that speak english well and most speak a broken english. Dr almanza does not speak english he has a translator with him all the time Dr. betancourt who does the after care speaks perfect english all and allthe staff is nice but unlike more expensive places you don't get the extra care like a nutritionist your not in a hospital which is ok unless you have some kind of major complication during the sugery. The clinic was clean but i found the recovery house really dirty but i guess we all have different standards when it come to clean so someone else might have found it really clean.  I went alone i would not recommend it in my case the hernia operation made it very difficult for me to move at the clinic it i not a problem but at the house your on your own so if you have lots of pain they will give you pain meds but there is no nurse around at night.  I was in lots of pain and during the night i was unable to get out of bed and i soiled myself and spent 3-4 hours like that until i was strong enough to get myself up and cleaned up.  but this was because of the hernia was the sleeve was easy. now does this mean it will happen to you i don't think it is likely but at least you know what to expect.  my surgery was done on a wednesday and i was taken to the recovery house on friday afternoon i spent one night there and i was desperate to leave so on saturday i changed my flight and flew out that afternoon.  i was a killer the flight was not a direct flight so i had to get off a change flight for me it was hell. i was in alot of pain and i was wounder what i had done to myself.  i also asked for a bigger sleeve so i was given a 42 bougie and i am glad i did ask for a bigger sleeve because a can eat a lot less but i eat like a normal person should.  Once i was home i was ok had a slight fever two days later i took a nap and woke up to find that my hernia insision had gotten a really nasty infection it had openned up and started to spew out  lots and lots of puss.  i went to the hospital they gave me anti biotics and they sent me home the infection cleared up but i need to wear a medical vac to help heal my insision which is almost healed but i am 5 weeks out should be done by next week.  all this to say i think you should not go alone.  I would go back the people are nice but it is a business and you are a number it is not the cheapest place for no reason the places that are in the 10 000$ range offer better precare and the sugery is in a hospital so if money is not a problem i would get it done at another place like a hosipital if money is an issue i would go there.  It was ok but you get what you pay for. I survived would i do it again yes but i would not go alone sitting in a bed when your soiled is not a pleasent experience but it is done now and i am glad i did it down 41 pounds

hope i didn't freak you out but i think people hear what they want to hear because we are so desperate.  IT is not the best place but it is not the worst it was ok and yes i think you will be ok.  I think if money was no problem you would do it at home and not in mexico so if you ask me if i would do it again the answer is yes same place yes but not alone I would also like to add that i don't think the bad batch of anything is the cause i think the antibiotics they give you after the surgery are not strong enough my gastric sleeve had no issues my hernia did the fact that you fly out that quick does not help either.  But you need to remember this is a business so that all reasons are ok for them to protect their business and because we only hear what we want to accept it
thanks
mario
from canada
ishary
on 4/13/10 1:21 pm - Whittier, CA
On January 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM Pacific Time, MARVEN00037 wrote:
My story is a little different than most i had dr almanza do my gastric sleeve and i had him do a hernia at the same time.  So your experience will not be exactly the same. so let me start from the begining when i got to san diego the driver was not there i was met another pacient who was on the phone with shirley rhor and they told us the driver was stuck at the border so we took a cab to the mexico boarder and walk across which may sound bad but i was no big deal.  we crossed into mexico met the driver i don't remember his name and we were driven to the clinic.  I want you to know emanuel medical is a clinic not a hospital.  once there they run some tests you and your schedualed for sugery that same afternoon.  This place is what i would call the fast food of the bariatrics business.  This does not mean it is bad but it is the cheapest for a reason you don't really meet any councelors your have a few people that speak english well and most speak a broken english. Dr almanza does not speak english he has a translator with him all the time Dr. betancourt who does the after care speaks perfect english all and allthe staff is nice but unlike more expensive places you don't get the extra care like a nutritionist your not in a hospital which is ok unless you have some kind of major complication during the sugery. The clinic was clean but i found the recovery house really dirty but i guess we all have different standards when it come to clean so someone else might have found it really clean.  I went alone i would not recommend it in my case the hernia operation made it very difficult for me to move at the clinic it i not a problem but at the house your on your own so if you have lots of pain they will give you pain meds but there is no nurse around at night.  I was in lots of pain and during the night i was unable to get out of bed and i soiled myself and spent 3-4 hours like that until i was strong enough to get myself up and cleaned up.  but this was because of the hernia was the sleeve was easy. now does this mean it will happen to you i don't think it is likely but at least you know what to expect.  my surgery was done on a wednesday and i was taken to the recovery house on friday afternoon i spent one night there and i was desperate to leave so on saturday i changed my flight and flew out that afternoon.  i was a killer the flight was not a direct flight so i had to get off a change flight for me it was hell. i was in alot of pain and i was wounder what i had done to myself.  i also asked for a bigger sleeve so i was given a 42 bougie and i am glad i did ask for a bigger sleeve because a can eat a lot less but i eat like a normal person should.  Once i was home i was ok had a slight fever two days later i took a nap and woke up to find that my hernia insision had gotten a really nasty infection it had openned up and started to spew out  lots and lots of puss.  i went to the hospital they gave me anti biotics and they sent me home the infection cleared up but i need to wear a medical vac to help heal my insision which is almost healed but i am 5 weeks out should be done by next week.  all this to say i think you should not go alone.  I would go back the people are nice but it is a business and you are a number it is not the cheapest place for no reason the places that are in the 10 000$ range offer better precare and the sugery is in a hospital so if money is not a problem i would get it done at another place like a hosipital if money is an issue i would go there.  It was ok but you get what you pay for. I survived would i do it again yes but i would not go alone sitting in a bed when your soiled is not a pleasent experience but it is done now and i am glad i did it down 41 pounds

hope i didn't freak you out but i think people hear what they want to hear because we are so desperate.  IT is not the best place but it is not the worst it was ok and yes i think you will be ok.  I think if money was no problem you would do it at home and not in mexico so if you ask me if i would do it again the answer is yes same place yes but not alone I would also like to add that i don't think the bad batch of anything is the cause i think the antibiotics they give you after the surgery are not strong enough my gastric sleeve had no issues my hernia did the fact that you fly out that quick does not help either.  But you need to remember this is a business so that all reasons are ok for them to protect their business and because we only hear what we want to accept it
thanks
mario
from canada
You couldnt have said it any better!!!

Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey