Rev & PS Arms Dr. Almanza

LadySTX
on 12/29/09 10:48 pm
Hi, Newbie here -- to this Forum:
Very excited to be headed S. of the border for 1/14 and excited about revision from band to sleeve.  Not losing and maintaining very difficult.  Also all of the incidental surprise problems when eating, especially eating in public.  Xmas I made a mistake, (just plain forgot) and took a bite of a tough little Garlic roll.  It blocked and the rest of the story was a mess and could have been embarrassing except I already had left the table due to hic cups.
After that, and being still 50 out from GOAL, I am opting for the sleeve and a chance to make it to Goal.  Thanks to my daughter for all of her study and research, we found Dr. Almanza.  I am so looking forward to meeting him, the team and the recovery house.  Yes, too, possibly shopping at Evolution. However, with the arms being done too, don't know if I will be up to that.
Anyone going to be around 13, 14, 15Th?  Did anyone have PS done.  How was it.  Was there much pain?  Any tips appreciated.
I'm 69.  Thanks to all those above 60 who have jumped in and had such wonderful success stories to report.
mellaella
on 12/30/09 7:06 am - Stockbridge, GA
Hello, My name is Carmella.I'm going to Dr. Aceves hopefully in January if my income taxes come back in time for the special.I dont want to sound bias, but information is key, i'm still doing research myself. i havent heard alot of bad things about this doctor(Dr. Almanza) but i did read one really scary story.Mainly the fact that you wont be in the hospital is very scary.Please go to verticalsleevetalk.com where there are several other patients from all the doctors.I felt compelled to at least tell you what is being said, which is that alot of people are coming home with infection as i would want someone to tell me.
tonya4191
on 12/30/09 8:55 pm
Oh my gosh!!! So is that it,? thats all you are going to tell the newbie??? You arent going to help her by informing her that ALL surgens have infections and leaks including the Doc that you are going to,  I hope that she doesnt take your word and run with it. I have nooo problem with what you stated, My problem comes in when you provied limited info, you are better off NOT provideing ANY info at all. Remember the say" Nothing but the whole truth, so help me God!!!"

To the newbie... Rsearch, Research, Research. Knowledge is key, and also common sence, You must use common sence. For some reason some people forget it when they leave the country. If you dont like something or you feel funny about it SPEAK UP!!!
Ex, If the nurse dosent have gloves on, Just tell her to put them on, and if she dosnt( which Im sure she wont refuse) tell her that you would like to talk to the doc.

hollykim
on 12/30/09 11:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 31, 2009 at 4:55 AM Pacific Time, tonya4191 wrote:
Oh my gosh!!! So is that it,? thats all you are going to tell the newbie??? You arent going to help her by informing her that ALL surgens have infections and leaks including the Doc that you are going to,  I hope that she doesnt take your word and run with it. I have nooo problem with what you stated, My problem comes in when you provied limited info, you are better off NOT provideing ANY info at all. Remember the say" Nothing but the whole truth, so help me God!!!"

To the newbie... Rsearch, Research, Research. Knowledge is key, and also common sence, You must use common sence. For some reason some people forget it when they leave the country. If you dont like something or you feel funny about it SPEAK UP!!!
Ex, If the nurse dosent have gloves on, Just tell her to put them on, and if she dosnt( which Im sure she wont refuse) tell her that you would like to talk to the doc.

Very well said and totally true.

mellaella
on 12/31/09 4:25 am - Stockbridge, GA
hollykim
on 12/30/09 11:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM Pacific Time, mellaella wrote:
Hello, My name is Carmella.I'm going to Dr. Aceves hopefully in January if my income taxes come back in time for the special.I dont want to sound bias, but information is key, i'm still doing research myself. i havent heard alot of bad things about this doctor(Dr. Almanza) but i did read one really scary story.Mainly the fact that you wont be in the hospital is very scary.Please go to verticalsleevetalk.com where there are several other patients from all the doctors.I felt compelled to at least tell you what is being said, which is that alot of people are coming home with infection as i would want someone to tell me.
The infections they were having is thought to be a result of a compromised batch of sutures. That issue has been corrected.

The surgeries are done in a hospital similar to what we know in the US as a surgery center,or an  outpatient surgery center.  I have seen many patients of surgeons in the US recently having VSG going home the same day of surgery so what is the difference?

Dr. Almanza's patients stay in the hospital 2 or 3 nights or more as is indicated by their surgery type.

hollykim
on 12/30/09 11:54 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your upcoming revision. Hopefully some folks who have had PS will post their experiences soon.

I will be going in Feb and am very excited also. Good luck and keep posting!
Holly

butterfly_kisses
on 1/3/10 10:39 am - Canada
Hey when in Feb will you be going?
goldiekat
on 12/31/09 3:21 am - Vega, TX
Hi, I am going to the same DR in Feb and am very excited.  Yes, I have read some posts about infection and stuff and I am going into this with my eyes open.  I already knew that there was a chance of infection before reading those posts as my sister had the bypass done 6 years ago and had a major infection.  This happened in Lubbock, TX, so in my opinion it can happen any where.  You just have to go with what makes you feel save!

I am thinking of bringing antibacterial products with me.

As for the PS at the same time, I gotta hand it too you.  I am a wuss at heart and will take one surgery at a time lol.  Kudos to you for doing something I know I couldn't :)  I hope someone can help you there.  I know I would be milking it lol.  OOHHH MMYY arms, fluff my pillow for me :)

As for the verticalsleeve.com sight.... I am not a member there because in my personal opinion if you go with Dr. Almanza you will not get a straight answer.  I have read dozens of posts and people ask honest questions but the same people just bring up the neg. (all hearsay) and do not really seem to give helpful advise.  Yes, I have read posts from actual people who have had an infection and take it all seriously.  So, I am not saying too not go over there,  just keep an open mind, and make sure you keep reading the entire posts.  You got to get past the neg. too get to the actual answers.  I get enough harassment from friends and family who all do not like any one going to any DR in MX. 

Now if you are on a forum about having problems after surgery then fine, say what you want as long as you are talking only about your Dr and not a Dr you have never been too.  Again, my opinion. 
Goldiekat^..^ Jeanette Petersen
Mother of three skin kids, three dogs, two gliders & two bratty cats
mellaella
on 12/31/09 4:28 am - Stockbridge, GA

First let me say i was not trying to discourage Lasdystx. i was telling her to do more research.I would be so happy to save money and go to Almanza myself, but after doing my personal research i feel its not the option for me, nor was Alvarez who drops you off at a hotel 90  miles away from the hospital after surgery for recovery.It's all in the details.If you had surgery with Almanza and it was a good experience, thats wonder, but i'm nervous about the whole situation, so why would i knowing walk into a situation where i know of problems coming from a facility.To not know is one thing, but to know and still go....uh???  That's my point Ms. Tonya4191

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views