caffeine

vinnymac
on 12/4/09 12:50 am - Mobile, AL
I'm just wondering has any one had a problem with caffeine after surgery.

Vinny Mac

Brandy K.
on 12/4/09 3:17 am - Garland, TX
You'll have to ask your surgeon what he thinks, but I think it's mostly a no-no in the beginning.  Caffeine is a diuretic and in the beginning, you're going to be working really hard just to get enough water IN.  What you get in will need to stay in.

It might be less of a no-no for VSGers than it is for RNYers since you'll have no malabsorption problems.  It might be a good idea to post this same question on the VSG forum.
Sharonda
on 12/4/09 6:42 am - Canada
VSG on 11/10/09 with
Hiya,
I had my VSG 3 weeks ago and I know for VSGer's that no caffiene, sugar or carbonated beverages for at least 6 months.  I tried a little decaf coffee about two weeks out from surgery and got the jitters so bad and a headache that I haven't tried it again.  It wasn't worth feeling so crappy.  I thought cause it was decaf that I could tolerate it but nope, decaf has some caffiene in it also, I guess.  I think the main reason is that all can/will give you very uncomfortable gas once consumed, plus none of them have any food value to speak of, so a waste of that precious new little stomach space.

Hope this helps.

Sharonda
 5'4"
HW 242
SW 202
GW 115
CW 146

wannabhealthy45
on 12/4/09 11:52 am - Canada
Best to ask your doc.  I stayed away from it for the first month and a half...maybe 2 months, but I drink it every day now and have no problems with coffee.  I do not ever have pop, no bubbles for me.  I also can't do cream or milk.  It upsets my stomach but I use coffee mate and I'm fine.  Coffee mate and sweetner..no cream or sugar and I don't even miss it.  Every person is different, but I'd stay off it for the first while for sure, but talk to your doc to find out what they think is best for you.

Band 7/13/08-419.5 lbs  VSG 9/3/09-346 lbs  DS 3/7/11 - 315 lbs   CW: 197

vinnymac
on 12/5/09 8:40 am - Mobile, AL
Thank You

Vinny Mac

Sharonda
on 12/8/09 5:50 am - Canada
VSG on 11/10/09 with
Hi Vinnymac,
Sharonda again, I just rechecked my info and I, for some reason, keep thinking that caffiene is on the no-no list but it's alcohol, not caffiene.  So I just had an unpleasant personal experience with it.  So my guidelines state no sugar, alcohol or carbonated drinks for at least 6 months.  Sorry for the mistake and just wanted to correct myself. 
 5'4"
HW 242
SW 202
GW 115
CW 146

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics