anyone have lapband in Tijuana Mexico?

sunbeams
on 12/1/09 1:11 am - west haven, UT
I am wondering if anyone had surgery in Tijuana Mexico and their experiences.  Is Mexico safe for this surgery.  Mom husband is very nervous about it too. 
Brandy K.
on 12/1/09 2:21 am, edited 12/1/09 2:22 am - Garland, TX

I haven't had my surgery yet, and when I do, I'm not going to Tijuana.  I'm going to Monterrey.  I can't tell you what it's going to be like, I only advise that you do your research and learn everything you can about your surgeon.  You should also look into other surgeons just to see how your surgeon stacks up.  That's what I've done.  Look into what kind of facility you'll be in for your surgery.  Look into what kind of aftercare your surgeon offers.  For instance, some surgeons have you stay in a hotel or recovery home for 2-3 days after surgery.  Others require that you stay in Mexico for a full week so ensure you don't go home with a leak. 

Read, read, read.  Email the surgeons patient coordinator and ask questions, questions, questions.  Be informed!  Then, make your decision.

Good luck!

Brandy

sunbeams
on 12/2/09 3:39 am - west haven, UT
Thanks lady!  Best of luck to you too.  I am so new to all of this, so I may sound a little ignorant.  I was wondering what you meant by leaking issues?
michellesmithusa
on 12/17/09 1:26 am
Hi Brandy, here is one of the many  videos of before & after lap band surgery in tijuana & monterrey that you can watch to know more about.

Tijuana has many advantages in terms of being near to a major US city & Airport. Also, prices are generally lower due to more competition.

Monterrey has the advantage of having less crime and JCI acccredited hospitals that TIjuana does not. Mexicali near TIjuana also has some good hospitals & doctors to consider.
clauclau
on 5/18/15 3:50 pm

I had the lap band in Tijuana 8 years ago unfortunately bandied didn't work for me and I had to have another surgery to remove it. I can't tell you if it happened because the doctor or me, but the lap band didn't stop me to eat, and now I am going to have a gastric bypass in Monterrey Mexico with dr Roberto Rumbaurt, highly recommended for one of my best friends who lives there.

Eme 2009
on 12/1/09 3:25 am - FL
Sunbeams,
  I haven't had my surgery yet either but I am scheduled for VSG 1/13/10 in Tijuana.  There are a lot of folks on here that have had surgery in Mexico.  Do you have a doctor in mind?  A date?  I know some ladies who are going this month and look forward to reading about their experiences. 

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

sunbeams
on 12/2/09 3:41 am - west haven, UT
Wow that date is coming up soon for you!  I hope to go by summertime.  Tijuana had a lapband price of 5400.  It pushed me to make the big plunge.
wannabhealthy45
on 12/2/09 2:08 am - Canada
Hi,

I've had both my surgeries in TJ, Mexico.  First my band in 08 and my sleeve this past Sept.  I know  LOT of people that have gone and had NO problems.  Would I go back to TJ for any other procedures?? YOU BETCHYA I WOULD!!!  I personally had a wonderful experience..both times.  That being said, I agree, you need to investigate everywhere and everything and make the decision that is best for you.

Best of luck in your decision and your journey!! :)

Band 7/13/08-419.5 lbs  VSG 9/3/09-346 lbs  DS 3/7/11 - 315 lbs   CW: 197

sunbeams
on 12/2/09 3:38 am - west haven, UT
Thank you so much for your reply.  I hope that you do not mind me asking, but why are you doing a sleeve after lapband?  Who were your doctors? 
chrissy50
on 2/13/10 4:09 pm
Hi there,
Congrads on your weight loss I need a revision surgery do you know if Dr.Almanza has done many gastric bypass to a lap band revision? Is it more expensive? Would appreciate any help you or any one can give me thanks!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views