Duodenal Switch with Dr Almanza

nursechick78
on 11/15/09 4:36 pm - Sumrall, MS
I wanted to know if anyone has had Duodenal Switch with Dr Almanza? I am looking into going to have surgery with Dr Almanza. Thanks for all your help and information.

Tabitha
kimatlast
on 11/16/09 4:49 pm
 Tabitha - This is just my personal opinion from having had the VSG with Dr Almanza 3 weeks ago today. I would not do the DS there. I bet he can do the actual surgery as well as anyone, but I don't think their facilities are adequate. It's just a little 8 bed hospital/medical clinic.  They don't have an ICU or heart telemetry machines or lung doctors or infectious disease doctors or anything like that that you might need after a significant operation like the DS. On a purely practical note, they didn't have any handicapped bars in the bathroom. I had a hard enough time getting up and down after the sleeve; I think the DS is more debilitating.

Dr Almanza and Betancourt are great and I had a great, uneventful surgery. I would recommend being banded or sleeved there, but I would want to have the DS in a "real" hospital. Also, I wonder with the DS being as complicated as it is if it doesn't need to be done by a surgeon you can have very regular access to, afterwards. Unless you live near Tijuana, you wouldn't have that with Dr Almanza.

I am a "heavyweight" (389 on day of surgery) with a long-standing eating disorder. Evidence suggests I might need the DS to be successful in the long run. If that's true, I'll deal with it when I get to that point. The sleeve is the first part of the DS, so I am 1/2 way there.

Just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide! Kim

nursechick78
on 11/17/09 12:00 pm - Sumrall, MS
Thank you Kim.  It's very informative. I am looking for a revision from the band. I was banded by Dr Kuri and didnt have the results that I was looking for.

Tabitha
neededsurgery
on 11/20/09 1:51 pm - Canada
I just arrived home from Emanual hosp. with Dr. Armanza.....I came home with a major infection that became an abcess...I did not receive any post op care by a Dr. after the surgery....none...which is why I came home infected....if I had the infection would have been caught.....the recovery house was noisy as it was a gathering place for hospital staff. and they played loud music every day...and there are alot of stairs......the house was dirty...found old food under the bed....do your homework...there are many hospitals in Tiajuana....and also at a lesser price

ryansgirl
on 11/22/09 8:14 pm
i will say i agree with both it is not the place for the DS and decide if i'm not mistaken i thought there was only one doctor in mexcio that did the ds.

nikki
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/09 1:35 pm - AZ
Very interestting,  I will respond in the AM!
\
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/09 1:43 pm - AZ
nursechick78
on 11/26/09 2:22 pm - Sumrall, MS
I understand all of those stats Midwestern girl but you can also acquire all of that in the USA because I am an RN I know we have mistakes. Can you show me the statics and information that you have gotten this from? If you are willing to put all this out there then you need to back it up with the paperwork and where you acquire this information from.

I have changed my decision from DS to the Sleeve.

Thanks

Tabitha
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/09 6:29 pm - AZ
Brandy K.
on 11/27/09 3:11 am - Garland, TX
Amen! I considered Dr. Almanza for all of a minute before deciding there were just too many unknowns. I'm not comfortable with the clinic setting and I'm certainly not comfortable with a lead surgeon having only a couple of years of experience. The thought of a rookie surgeon in a place without access to emergency critical care just scares me.

So, it's going to put me out about three thousand more to go to Monterrey, but I think it's well worth my peace of mind, my health, and possibly my LIFE.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views