More worried about the flights than the surgery (big booty freakout)

Brandy K.
on 11/14/09 1:25 pm - Garland, TX
OK, so I'm soooo close to making my decision to go to Mexico for my bariatric surgery, but the only thing that keeps me worried is the thought of the flights it will take to get there.

I've put off so many vacations because of the fear of not fitting into airline seats or having to pay for two of them.

For those of you who have flown to Mexico... or flown ANYWHERE for that matter... and who share my big booty problem, can you tell me how it went?

Thanks!

Brandy
N H.
on 11/15/09 3:12 am - FL
Brandy,

Yep, it is going to be embarassing having to ask for a belt extender but look at it this way-you will never see those people again and after you have surgery you are well on your way to never having to worry about it again.

Take Care

Pre Op-Surgery-Current-Goal
                                            232  -    213   -  153 - 150

5'4" tall
Stage 1 Plastics 10/20/10 with Dr. Adrian Menjarrez-Mexicali
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck    
kaluhasmom1
on 11/15/09 9:51 am - Kansas City, MO
Although I will not be flying into Mexico for my surgery (I will be flying into San Diego) I have flow to Italy and mutiple places in the US.  I used to be terrified to fly.  I started taking an isle seat in the back were no one wants to set and I have been more satisfied, especially as large as I am.  Plus the bathroom is closer.  I always try to fly nonstop or at least a stop with no plane changing.  It is just to difficult to get across the airport to catch the other plane.  I also fly Southwest so I can check my bags and only take on a small carryon.  I start chewing gum when the plane starts to move and when they announce decent.  Hope this will help.
Cindy
kimatlast
on 11/15/09 1:44 pm
 I was exactly in your position. I felt strongly I was too fat to fly, but I had to fly to get the surgery. I flew Knoxville-Minneapolis-San Diego and San Diego-Atlanta-Knoxville. I weighed 389 and am 5'7".  I don't know my hip measurement, but let's just go with "enormous."

I have never minded asking for a seatbelt extender, so that's not an issue with me. I do HATE that I crowd the person next to me. My biggest fear is that the other  person will also be obese, and we'll sit there shoulders touching, thighs touching as we both bulge over and around the armrest, etc.

Fortunately, that didn't happen this trip. I did crowd everyone I was seated next to, and I hated that, but you know what?  I looked nice, smelled nice (and by that  I mean no smell at all - I hate overly-perfumed people) and I was nice. I was courteous and quiet. They could do worse in a seatmate.

I just kept reminding myself that I was taking steps to solve the problem and this was the LAST time I would face it.

I had my surgery the same time as a married couple, and they bought 3 seats, so they'd have the middle seat empty, wouldn't be crowding anyone, etc. Then the airline split all 3 seats up!! They raised cane, and the gate agent switched things around, but it just goes to show you that you might buy two seats and then they tell you your second seat is in the row behind you!

You'll be OK. Just keep a good thought, cross your fingers and stay cool.. If you do end up in an awkward situation, the flight attendants are very helpful when asked nicely.

Good luck! Kim

Brandy K.
on 11/15/09 1:53 pm - Garland, TX
Thank you so much, Kim!  That is so helpful!  I'm 5'4" and about 350, so I'm betting our hips are about the same.  Do you have to put the arm rest up?  I was quite a bit smaller the last time I flew and I remember JUST fitting in between the arm rests.

Do you go ahead and buy two seats or just wait to see if they'll ask you to?

Thanks again!
Brandy
kimatlast
on 11/15/09 4:49 pm
 I was able to squeeze in between the armrests; it was tight and fairly uncomfortable, but I I didn't HAVE to put it up.  I did put it up when the opportunity arose. To be honest,  If I could have afforded the double fare, I'd have definitely bought two seats and saved myself a lot of fear and anxiety. If you feel you can afford it, I say buy two - it will be worth the peace of mind. If you can't afford it, it will probably be okay; it was for me. I flew Delta, and no one said a word to me about needing two seats, or "buy another seat or you can't fly, " etc. I have heard Southwest does this - I don't know if it's true.

As near as I can tell, the problem people for the airlines these days are not fat people, but cheap people who want to take every giant piece of luggage on board with them, instead of just thinking
of a baggage fee as part of the price of the ticket. Honestly, the things people try to drag aboard and shove in the overheads - it's ridiculous. The flight attendants have to spend all their time pulling stuff out of the overhead compartments (because the doors won't shut) and listen to people whine about it.

All I carried on was my relatively giant purse, and it fit easily under the seat in front of me. Because I wasn't fighting for overhead space, I didn't have to board until near the end, which is handy, because I have to stand in the aisle and make sure I'm not about to sit on the seatbelt, and I raise the arm rest then, if the chance presents itself, and then I sit. This blocks traffic a little bit if I do it when everyone is boarding.

Hope that helps you!  Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views