Here's every useful thing I can think to tell you about my trip to Dr Almanza's for VSG last...

kimatlast
on 11/2/09 9:10 pm
 Thoughts and reflections (poorly organized) on using Dr Almanza and Bentancourt  at Emmanuel Medical Center.

Short version: Everyone was excellent and professional.  I made the right choice.

Things I didn't have that I wish I had...had:

One pair of pajama pants for every day. I didn't do this. At home, I'll wear my Pj's at least twice. At home, though, I'm not peeing myself a little before I get to the toilet.

Undershirts, to make up for no bra-wearing, afterward.

Sunglasses, sunscreen, sunhat. Dr Almanza and Bentancourt's recovery house has a nice closed-in courtyard, and the chairs even held me, at 389, so you'll want to go outside.

Cardigan sweater. Your body temperature seems to vary a lot.

Chapstick. Cannot stress this enough. Take two, in case you lose one. No, take three.

About 20 small gifts - maybe some local honey or a homemade candle, or bookmarks by a local artist - something. Or, given that I'm a pretty good photographer, I wish I had some small framed photos I'd taken. All the staff, from the housekeeper to the cook to the nurses to the doctors are so professional and compassionate, it seems completely and utterly WRONG to offer tips. But saying "thank-you" repeatedly seems inadequate. I wish I'd had a little something that I could have said, "It's nothing, really, but it's a token of  how much I appreciate your kindness, and something to remember me by."

My business cards from work, to give to fellow-patients I wanted to stay in touch with.

A folding cane, This would have been an excellent investment. I don’t use a cane, normally, and wouldn’t want to carry a big cane with me all week, but if I’d had a cane to use in the airport(s) on the way home – oh, that would have been fantastic. I’d highly recommend it, if for no other reason than people will expect you to be a little slow, and they’ll give you room instead of piling up behind you. Actually, a cane would have been wonderful the day after surgery, too! Take a folding cane; that’s my advice.

Things I did right:

Took my own Kleenex, just to be sure I would never be without. I have chronic sinus issues, and am always needing Kleenex. They had it at the hospital, but not at the Day Inn.

Just wore ordinary stretch pants and t shirts as PJ’s. No robe issues. Can wear all day. Make sure your pants are huge. Order 6x’s from Woman Within, if you have to. I had very loose-waisted pants, and I was glad. I needed 3 more pair, however.

Took nasal saline spray. As I mentioned before, I have sinus issues. Nasal saline is not a medicine, so there’s no reason you can’t squirt away if your nose is dry or itchy or stuffy.

Took my laptop!!!  A lifesaver for connecting with my “normal life" and for distracting me. Plus, when you get to the recovery house, where they only have one laptop, you won’t have to take a turn on that laptop.

Took 3 boxes of Gas-X strips. Yes, they are expensive – but take them! The strips, not the softgels or pills. Accept no substitute. You don’t need 3 boxes, but because I took 3 boxes, I could share with my fellow suffering patients all they needed, and they were grateful. Have some at the ready when you fly home. Some people bloat up on take-off and landing. I didn’t feel anything on take-off, but landing! Bloat city! Also, you might want to look for the little vomit bag in your seatback, just in case. It made me feel safer.

Things I wish I’d done:

Mapquested from the San Diego airport to my hotel, just so I could say to my taxi driver, “I need to go to the Blah Suites at 3500 Walker Dr. It’s about 2 and ½ miles." I feel I was ripped off by being taken a “scenic route."

I honestly wish I’d waited until I lost more weight to have the surgery. I started at 410 and I lost down to 386-389 or thereabouts, but it has been difficult, being so big. When they did my pre-testing, my blood pressure was 120/70 and my EKG showed a strong, regular heartbeat of 60 beats per minute. And I have no diabetes or circulation issues. This is all excellent. But I’m sure the surgeon would have been happy to have less fat to poke through, and it feels like my stitches would be happy to have less fat to hold back, now. And it would be easier for me to get around, now. But what’s done is done.

That’s it for me, kids. I gotta go rest and watch some TV.  =) Kim

hollykim
on 11/2/09 11:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Fabulous report with some very good  suggestions I hadn't read before. esp the pair of pj bottoms for each day...glad u are doing well!
Holly

petite_jolie
on 11/3/09 12:09 am - Canada
Thank you so much! I can tell you took a long time writing it up and it shows. I was wondering, why did you choose the VSG over the RNY. Wouldn't the RNY have you lose more weight in the long run? Please tell me your thoughts on it.

kimatlast
on 11/3/09 1:42 am
The RNY was never  a choice for me because I couldn't raise the money. I paid $6,000 for my sleeve. That, plus airfare, was all I could raise. That being said, I wouldn't have done so, anyway. My thinking is, if I can't lose enough with the sleeve, I'll probably need a DS. (Maybe my insurance will improve, some day!) And the sleeve is step 1 of the DS.  Kim
petite_jolie
on 11/3/09 7:21 am - Canada
That is what I  am kinda thinking myself. I will get the sleeve and try my hardest. If I can't lose enough weight I can always turn it into a RNY. Do you know how much it costs for a revision? Is it as much as any surgery or cheaper? How are you finding having the sleeve?

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 10:35 am

Thank you, Kim....

What a well organized list of do's and dont's....!!!!

I'll be sure to take plenty of panties...and jammies...

I'm So glad the surgery is over with for you and you are doing so well...
I hope and pray you will have an amazing weight loss story to tell...

May your road be free of pot-holes and may it have very, very few curves...!!!

Love ya...
cyndy

gingin33
on 11/4/09 10:52 pm - Wichita, KS

Thanks so much for this post! I'm about to have my sleeve with Dr. Almanza on the 19th and I'm trying to pack my bags and I dont want to forget anything. Awesome post. Thanks again and good luck!

dizzyblonda
on 11/5/09 9:05 am - toney, Mexico
 Thanks good luck to you. keep me posted would like to hear how your doing.
dizzyblonda
on 11/5/09 9:03 am - toney, Mexico
 Hi  i'm newbe  I sign up for my surgery having a VSG done on the 30 th with Dr Almanza. I was glad to read your message its alway nice to see want other bring that I might think of. I hope your doing well. any other pointers you could add. Thanks Dizzy
KellyJM
on 11/25/09 2:38 pm - Canada
Kim, thanks for all the great information.  It really helps when researching your options.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views