Help! Feeling like a yo yo

Debby_Luv
on 9/18/09 3:19 pm - Violet, LA
VSG on 10/13/09 with

I am stuck.  I want to have surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Mexico so bad.  Everyone in my life, don't understand why I would go to Mexico for the VSG surgery.  I try to explain that I have researched Dr. Alvarez and he is my best choice for a surgeon.  My brother came over tonight after work, and pleaded with me not to go to Mexico for surgery, they would look after me around my home town or three hours away.  It's a money issue for me.  I don't have an extra $5000 to have it done close to home.  There is one doctor, Dr. Thomas Borland in Lafayette, Louisiana they would prefer I go to, but I am not sure because he doesn't have as much experience as does Dr. Alvarez.  They have comparable fees and I could afford both, but not sure.  Dr. Alvarez has so much experience.  This just feels like a tug of war... my daughter in law is telling me things and emailing me things about failed surgeries and I know deep down I want to do the VSG surgery, and know I want Dr. Alvarez, but everyone is trying so hard to change my mind.  I have always done things to please others, and I feel that I should do something to please myself.  I have it in my heart to go to Dr. Alvarez, so any suggestions would help.

kimatlast
on 9/19/09 12:31 pm
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know the same thing would happen to me if I told ANYONE of my plan to go to Mexico for surgery. (October 27'th, Dr Almanza-Reyes.) You have thought this out very well and done your research. Your argument that your doc is more experienced is a good one. It sounds to me like all your detractors can do is whine and complain and hold their breath - they can't stop you.. So I suggest you get a surgery date ASAPand follow through on your well-thought out  plan. Best of luck -Kim
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 5:54 am

First...I think this is your life, your money and your gut feeling, no one elses...You should do what YOU FEEL IS RIGHT FOR YOU...!!!!
That being said...Dr. Borland is an excellent second choice and first choice as well...I hear a lot of great things about him...I don't think you will go wrong with either surgeon...!!!

Congrats, on getting things in motion for that surgery day...whom ever you choose....!!!

kim marsden
on 9/20/09 2:10 pm - Canada
There are times when you just need to tell the people you love to keep their thoughts to themselves.  I went to Mexico back in May for lapband with Dr. Almanza Reyes.  Best decision of my life.  I got the gears from my family about Mexico and the Swine Flu and the violence but I also had my heart set on it.  Financially it was over half the price as it is here in Canada.  Did my research and had great reviews from past patients.  My husband came with and we both felt we could have never recieved the excellent care anywhere else. Now just coming up to four month since surgery I am 47 pounds down and my family could not be any happier for me and agree now that the best decision I ever made was to go to Mexico and have the surgery.  Stay strong and don't let anyone change your decision,  you will be so happy with your results.  Congratulations.  Kim
Heather D.
on 9/21/09 4:51 pm - Austin, TX
I just spent the weekend with my parents and told them I was planning on surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico. They were pretty nervous about it, but I did my best to explain it all to them - the location, the doctor, the procedure. I tried to answer all their questions and assure them that I had done my research. They're still nervous about it, of course, but I know it's what's best for me so I'm going through with it.

I think that's what it boils down to... you have done the research. It is your body, so it is your choice. The money to pay for it is coming from your wallet and you know what you can or can't afford. And that extra $5000? I didn't see anything about any of them volunteering to pay the difference to keep you in the US. (And honestly, I would be intensely pissed off if someone insisted on sending me information on failed surgeries. It is kind of insulting - like you don't know how to do the research yourself? From my perspective, I have educated myself on the possibilities and probabilities of potential complications, but I don't need to dwell on them and stress myself out.)

I did quite a bit of research into Dr. Alvarez before I decided on Dr. Almanza and I really think he is an awesome surgeon. His youtube video of the lap VSG was what helped me win over my husband on Mexico and WLS in general. But I'm getting distracted here. :) 

What I really wanted to say was just do what you know is best for you. You have to live in your body, they don't. I hope they come to respect your decision, whatever it may be, and offer you the support you deserve. GOOD LUCK!!
Debby_Luv
on 9/23/09 12:19 pm - Violet, LA
VSG on 10/13/09 with
Hi, yall I want to thank each one of you for your support.  I have definitely made my decision.  I have sent the deposit to Dr. Alvarez and now I am on my journey to change my life.  I just told everyone it's my decision, and I understand the risks but my obesity is risking my life everyday, so one risk to get healthier is sure worth the risk of living like this and not trying at all.  I am expecting my first grandbaby in January and I want to be able to take him to the park and do things with the baby.  I think they are realizing it now, and I am not feeling as much pressure from them.  I told them I will be better than every.  They will see!

Debby Luv

Heather D.
on 9/23/09 4:23 pm - Austin, TX
That's awesome! Good for you. And congrats on the grandbaby!
nolabean504
on 10/21/09 11:32 pm - Metairie, LA
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views