Newbie-Any thoughts on Dr. Jose Rodriguez in Juarez?

catchymaple
on 9/18/09 4:26 pm
I am considering the Lap Band with Dr. Jose Rodriguez in Juarez, Mexico, I want to lose about 60 pounds. Anyone else used him & if so, how was your experience? Thanks!
jackie_p36
on 9/19/09 10:59 am
I went to him for the VSG and my DH went for the band.  Everything about him and the facility was awesome.  My DH however turned out to NOT be a band candidate.  Unfortunately we found that out after the fact.  His stomach was just too big for a band and he had it removed 5 days later here in the states. There is no way to know this until they get in there.  Dr. Rod put it in hoping his stomach would shrink by being NPO but it didn't.  His own spit would not even go down.  It was a horrible experience for us.  I was truely worried while trying to heal myself.  None of this was Dr. Rod's fault it's just another negative of the band.  Neither of us would EVER recommend it.  I'm sure many people out there do just fine with it but it's not for us.  He will be returning to Dr. Rod in the spring for the VSG.  I have had wonderful results so far.  No pain, quick recovery and doing good.  Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. 
  [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wF0T1NC/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wF0T1NC/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

catchymaple
on 9/19/09 11:25 am
I'm a little new here.....whats a DH? Did he have a high BMI?
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 11:26 am
DH....dear husband...dear hubby
Jill W.
on 9/23/09 12:50 pm
I'm considering Dr Rod as well.  I would like to hear more about why the band didn't work.  I was working with a local surgeon who said I was a good candidate for the lap band but was denied by my insurance.  I have talked to belite and been preapproved for financing.  I am a little discouraged to hear that the band can be installed and have to be taken out in 5 days.  Is there any discount on future surgery if the band doesn't work?  Or is the money a total loss?

My husband has some major reservations about what the would happen if there were complications.  Was there any problem getting treatment at the ER?  He is concerned that I would have to return back to Mexico to have it removed. 

jackie_p36
on 9/25/09 11:52 am
His band didn't work because they tried to stuff way too much stomach into it.  They used the biggest available in MX... a 10cc (there is an 11cc in the US but he wanted no part of another band and the doc said that was a good decision because after they opened him up they realized it wouldn't have fit either) and because his stomach had such a fat pad around it and was so big they somewhat had it folded in the band like a taco.  It caused total obstruction and unfortunately his stomach did not shrink after 5 days of NPO.  Dr. Rod and the belite staff have been awesome and have offered to do the VSG and waive the fees all but the cost that the hospital will charge for the stay.  Dr. Rod and his staff did their best and tried to fix the problem but psychologicaly he wanted to be home so home we went otherwise Dr. Rod would have fixed it.  The ER had to call about 5 doctors before we found one that would even look at him and that was scary.  They just kept giving him IV's until we found one which only took a couple of days.  We were lucky most will not touch you if you have been to MX.  We even had to get a private room because his roomate in the hospital had overheard him say he had been to MX, and that was at the height of the swine flu issues, so they moved him to a private one because people were getting angry and supposedly instantly sick. lol  His insurance UH did cover the complications however I'm not sure how the US doctor coded it.  I still highly recommend Dr. Rod and Belite they have really taken care of us even though they are a country away.
[/url]

isabel41206
on 10/15/09 2:05 am - MURFREESBORO, TN
dr Rod did my surgery last year. I recently returned with my niece for her to have the sleeve. I have  nothing but good to say about dr rod and his staff. he works for 2 hospitals. i like hospital angeles but my niece had hers at newer one (forgot name)  btw I have lost 145 lbs so far !! 50  away from goal now .
jackie_p36
on 10/16/09 7:40 am
Woo hoo you go girl that's alot!!  I would love to know exactly what you eat on a regular basis being this far out and how much you exercise!!  Thanks!!
[/url]

amykayash
on 11/20/09 2:50 am
I have my lapband scheduled for Dec. 10th and I'm really nervous. 
jonanna
on 4/13/11 2:56 am - AL
 Do not go to this Dr or his clinic. my 31 year old daughter did as so many do and found this Dr on the Internet! first mistake, she had other medical problems and this Dr Jose Rodriquez's procurers and follow up after surgery are a joke. once u leave u are on your own. My daughter had the sleeve she was taken from the plane to the hospital my ambulance, we have emailed this this Dr and his partner  ELMO and no return calls, 3 days later she was admitted to the hospital with an infection so bad she had to have 2 bags inserted into her stomach. GO figure, thank god for the doctor who agreed to see my daughter through this because like so many other Americans she has no insurance> now 3 weeks later and still in the hospital, I am writing this from the ICU room where my daughter is now  having a complete Bypass, Our doctor has tried for 2 weeks to call the doctors in Mexico but still no return calls  What dose this tell u people?? its a money pit  my daughter went to this so called Hospital thinking she was going to have a better quality of life for her and her daughter. 
maybe this has worked for others and to them i say good for you. you played Russian roulette and won  my daughter played and got the bullet. so if this post heps anyone Iam happy if you decide to go and have your surgery  GOOD LUCK to you 
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views