What to bring for my upcoming DS in Mexico?

jesszoo
on 9/18/09 12:43 pm, edited 9/18/09 12:44 pm - Petaluma, CA
I am finally scheduled for my surgery (Oct 5th with Dr Ungson) Woohoo!!  I know I have seen some lists of what to bring, but I cant find any now that the time is near.

I am thinking about what to bring with me for surgery. I have having my DS in Mexico. My mother is going with me. We will be staying 11 days total. I plan to wear comfy traveling clothes (sweats/pj type pants and a tshirt) there that I can also wear on the way home. Aside from the passport & money, so far I was thinking:

Couple pairs of loose cotton shorts & tshirts
Slipper socks
Laptop and some dvds
Maybe a book or two
A Pillow
Calling card
Large bandaids for incision seepage
Considering maybe some chicken broth/bullion cubes

Anything else I am forgetting or that you couldnt live without? I am posting in the DS forum too.

I have about 3 hours of flights home but couldnt get anything direct so have about a 2 hour layover each way as well. I did book first class just because I thought I would be more comfortable on the way back in a bigger seat (ok, who am I kidding- I am 380 pounds, I'll be more comfortable on the way there too! lol)

Thanks in advance!
kerr
on 9/19/09 11:06 am
I replied on your cross post... but wanted to say that you've chosen a great surgeon.  Best of luck to you!

Kerry
        HW232/SW230/CW131/GW126 

val2144
on 9/23/09 10:18 am
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming DS surgery!!  My fiance had only the VSG part of the DS and he has had no running bowel issues, but if you are having the complete surgery, as I did, maybe the following info will be of help.  If not, just ignore. :-) cause it is kinda graphic...

I also wondered what to take to my DS surgery last Friday 9-18-09.  The one thing I wished I had taken was:  DEPENDS!!!!!!!!!! Now, this is just my experience, OK?       But.....on day 3 after surgery, my bowels were running so frequently, it was a  big problem for me--this was on the day when I was allowed to check out of the hospital for my long car trip home. Maybe I could have asked for supplies from the hospital, but my hospital turned out to be understaffed and the nurses and aides were way overburdened.  That's another story.... 

Don't take white or khaki pants for confidence.  Your idea of sweats is great.  Be sure you can get out of those pants in a hurry.  Take one of those flat packs that hold huggies wipes.  I use the the new "Thick and Clean" Huggies wipes.  It's easier to reach and clean up with the bigger wipes--it will be difficult to twist and turn.  Also, I have been using Balmex diaper rash cream--it will give you some relief and comfort.The first few days at home, I lived in the bathroom due to this situation.  No control whatsoever. Yesterday (Day 5) I had more control and Day 6 (today) has been fine, but if I had a long trip planned on a plane, I would wear or take Depends .  Or even disposable diapers inside my panties, if I couldn't find Depends to fit.  I bought some today to have on hand!  I'm sure as we get more familiar with our DS procedure, we will be able to identify when this problem may arise. 

My post surgery diet involves 4  Protein  supplements  totaling 60 grams Pro /day. I do this liquid diet for 2 weeks.

Everyone and their surgeons and hospitals are different, I'm just letting you know what happened to me.  I like to be prepared

I wish you the very best.  This surgery is the best decision I ever made for myself.  It took me a long time to decide on the DS, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Bar none.  

Take care.

val2144/shirley 
jesszoo
on 9/28/09 3:03 pm - Petaluma, CA
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it and have taken note! Thanks, hope you are doing well  :)
val2144
on 10/1/09 7:05 am
Hi Jesszoo,

I see your date is coming up!!!!!!!  Best of everything.

I go for my checkup tomorrow... I'm 2 weeks out and learning to live with the difference between head hunger and real hunger. 

Take care and have a good trip.
val2144
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views