Too fat for surgery. Frick!

kimatlast
on 9/14/09 8:40 am
I wonder if many of you know what it is to be the fattest person in a room (or a forum?) full of fat people. I guess I've done Weigh****chers about 6 times, and each time I was the biggest person in the group. Went to OA three times, same thing. Recently I went to a bariatric surgery seminar,and there was only one person out of a sea of fat people that was bigger than me. I have no idea how I got to weigh 410 pounds. That's crazy. I'm smart, I have a good job, a good church,  a house (it's kind of a hovel, but still) and people that love me and people that I love. I'm a talented photographer and a cat lover and an avid reader. I'm a fully functional human being. In most ways. How did it ever get to this point? I'm so humiliated.

Anyway, I'm set for surgery with Dr Almanza in Mexico on Oct 27.I'm getting the VSG. One of his staff called me today and said the doctor had reviewed my record and my BMI is too high for comfort. Said I must start on the ultra-strict (3 protein drinks and some lettuce per day) pre-op diet *tommorrow* and do it for the ensuing 6 weeks until surgery.I have to call them weekly with my weights. They didn't give me a number I have to get to, but they were adamant that I should start IMMEDIATELY! I said I would. I was planning on doing it for 2 or 3 weeks, anyway.

The thing is, the VSG is touted as a "very good option for the super-obese, and it can be done laprascopically on people up to 500 pounds." That's why I picked it. I wasn't expecting  to hear that among the super-obese I am too fat. I'm so tired of this.

I am going to start tomorrow, and I'll do my best,  and we'll see what happens. Just for fun I'm including the link to my Flickr photo stream. If you're bored, have a look.I think they show that I am more than a pathetic, out-of-contol compulsive overeater. Thanks! Kim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammycatstudio/

wannabhealthy45
on 9/14/09 9:04 am - Canada
What is your BMI Kim??

Band 7/13/08-419.5 lbs  VSG 9/3/09-346 lbs  DS 3/7/11 - 315 lbs   CW: 197

ryansgirl
on 9/14/09 9:29 am

be nice to yourself kimmie! i'm sorry you feel so bad about yourself. you can beat this.

nikki

kimatlast
on 9/14/09 10:42 am
My BMI is 64.2.

Thank you, Nikki.=)

I'll tell you this, one  thing that puts a smile on my face is the profanity filter on this site! It's insane! It's obsessed with female private parts. Just look at my original post, how it took the "t" from the end of "weight "and the "wat" from the beginning of "watchers"and bleeped it out,like I was really trying to say...you know.

The funniest one I've seen is when someone said, "It will be 7 days until...."  Only she didn't say  "7 days" she said, "a week." So the perverted, deeply troubled profanity filter took the "k" from the end of   "week" and the "unt" from the beginning of  "until" and went crazy bleeping it.  Really? Spelling it with a "k"? That'sa new one on me.!
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/09 11:24 am - Canada
Listen honey... it's gonna be okay!
I too have a very high BMI, and I'm getting surgery with Almanza....  They have a weight limit of 400lbs that their facility can handle.  He just wants to lower your surgical risk as much as possible. It'll shrink your liver, and make the lap procedure that much easier.
The plus side (who knew??) of being so big is that a couple weeks on a liquid diet and that **** melts off...  really it does. Trust me!

So take the night to relax...
Have a big huge food funeral tomorrow if you want to and then start on your liquid diet.

I know you can do this.
I am doing it, and trust me that's no small feat.
We are going to do a great job with our surgeries.

Take care,

Mara
mja1128
on 9/14/09 1:02 pm - Sapulpa, OK
 I just checked out your flicker site and I LOVE your work! I hope I can be that good some day. 
Good luck with the liquid diet! 
I will call upon the Lord, Who is to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies. PSALM 18:3
"Don't confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other."
Erma Bomebeck
tuneyjune
on 9/14/09 2:31 pm - White Bear Lake, MN
Kim, I love your work!  but. . . even before I saw it I knew that you are more than just a big person.  None of us are our weight alone.   ALL of us are people first.

Best of luck to you on this new journey.   I went to Mexico also, and I hope your experience is as great as mine was.  We do this to save our lives, and you are taking the first (and hardest) step on a wonderful trip.

Tuna
TuneyJune      
Heather D.
on 9/14/09 2:39 pm - Austin, TX
Kim. OMG. Your photos are amazing! I'm totally jealous of your ability.
rere49
on 9/18/09 11:17 pm
VSG on 05/15/08 with
ryansgirl, I sent her my pictures, Do you think it will help??
ryansgirl
on 9/14/09 8:14 pm, edited 9/14/09 8:14 pm
i total agree heather those pic arebeauitful!

nikki
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views