Going to Dr. Alvarez on Oct 17th

Kearneyator
on 9/3/09 12:52 pm, edited 9/3/09 12:53 pm
VSG on 10/17/09 with
I just got my date for my VSG with Dr. Alvarez.

My wife had her VSG done in March of this year with Dr. Ballanger (Louisiana).  I've been thinking about getting the same but the thought of paying for two of these in the same year was more than a little daunting.

A friend of ours had hers done by Dr. Alvarez last year but neither of us really gave a lot thought to going to Mexico for surgery.  I have to say that after reading all of the testimonials here and doing some other research we've both had a change of heart (and wish maybe we'd have saved some $$ on hers...).

Susan at Dr. Alvarez's office has been incredibly helpful and has responded immediately to all of our questions.

I'm looking forward to being able to finally get rid of the 300 lb gorilla that's been on my back for almost 40 years now.
jeff636
on 9/3/09 1:05 pm
VSG on 09/10/09 with
I am on my 10 day pre-op in prep for my surgery Next Thursday with Dr. Alverez, I had the same experience so far. 

ryansgirl
on 9/4/09 7:25 am
good luck guys!
kimatlast
on 9/4/09 12:35 pm
Don't answer if you'd rather not, but I'm wondering if you mean you weigh 300 lbs, or you have 300 excess pounds to lose? I weigh 410. (Damn if I know how that happened.) I am thinking of going to Dr Almanza-Reyes for the sleeve as well, also in October. I was wondering if your BMI is quite high, and what they've said to you about it, if anything.

Also, I'd love to hear how the sleeve has worked for your wife. I wonder what has been the best thing about it, the worst thing about it, and the most unexpected thing about it?

Wishing you all the best! Kim
ToniLee
on 9/4/09 1:34 pm
Congrats on your date!!  I to did a lot of research and talked to people that had surgery in Mexico, 1 in Louisiana that really got me even thinking about it.  Had I known more about surgery there I would have saved a huge chunk of money and done mine there.  My surgeon was fantastic but as a self pay patient I could have saved over $13,000.   My husband has his date on Sept 29th.  I am so excited for him.  I agree Susan has been more than helpful.  Having gone thru the process myself, I had my husband get an EKG, a physical, a psych evaluation and all the blood work I had to have prior to my RNY.  Luckily they found he tested positive for the H pylori bacteria and he is now taking the meds to clear that up before surgery.   I'm not real sure what tests he specifically does but we figured it was best to be safe and do what we could here beforehand.   Good luck on your surgery!
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 10:09 pm
After about a year of rersearch I have finally scheduled my surgery for December 8th with Dr. Alvarez.  I think this is probably going to be the longest month of my life just waiting now. 
I did have one question for anyone.  Has anyone traveled to Dr. Alvarez's alone?  If so, can you tell me if you felt safe or were there things you needed to be more aware of? 

Susan at the office has told me that a large percentage of patients do travel alone. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1210 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views